Skip to main content
Topic: Flap between exhaust and rear wheels (Read 677 times) previous topic - next topic

Flap between exhaust and rear wheels

Yahoo Message Number: 7996
On our trip across the US we smelled a smell like burning rubber when we stopped and also when we turned on the furnace. On closer inspection we have found a flap that is in front of the back wheels on the drivers side. This flap must have been pushing against the wheels while we were travelling and slowly got rubbed away in the exact shape of the wheels, even to having points that fit exactly into the tread of the wheels, especially the inside one. The furnace is situated right above this flap. Anyone have some thing similar? Photos posted in the Photos section.

Re: Flap between exhaust and rear wheels

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7997
We have a 2008 Seneca 36 MS that is currently at Jayco for warranty work this winter and this is one of the exact same problems we are having repaired. In fact on inspection all of our mud flaps were rubbing to some degree
Larry Myers

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7998
We had it happen on the passenger side right after we got the unit, one of the screws came loose.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dee
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:20 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Flap between exhaust and rear wheels

On our trip across the US we smelled a smell like burning rubber when we stopped and also when we turned on the furnace. On closer inspection we have found a flap that is in front of the back wheels on the drivers side. This flap must have been pushing against the wheels while we were travelling and slowly got rubbed away in the exact shape of the wheels, even to having points that fit exactly into the tread of the wheels, especially the inside one. The furnace is situated right above this flap. Anyone have some thing similar? Photos posted in the Photos section.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 7999
The mud flap behind both wheels have lost screws as well, but these flaps do not rub against the wheel when we are travelling.. The screws holding the body panels around the wheel arches are either loose or have fallen out. The trim around the wheel arch of the passenger side rear wheels has fallen off. The bracket holding the exhaust up is about to fall off. 3 of our interior lights have stopped working, we can see daylight if we look at the intersection of the wall panels and the floor at the back of the bedroom. There is a huge hole around the ducting bringing hot air into the coach, and the dust that comes in is unbelievable. The seat belt stems are so long that the underside of the arm rests are completely shredded. In all we are extremely disappointed with the Jayco build of this unit.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8000
We had the same problem as did the first owner of our coach. I finally added additional (larger) screws and a bracket from the fender well to the flap.

George

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8001
Mine did the exact same thing. Jayco did not do a very good job with screws and securing it. Needs new screws and they also need some lower in the plastic mud flap
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 21:19:33 -0000
To:
ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Flap between exhaust and rear wheels

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8003
Dee:

Yes. We have a 2007 34SS and have the same issue. I will be tearing into the question this weekend. I believe there is a sheet metal pan in the wheel well above the right rear duals. It appears that this pan forms false floor where wires etc. run. I suspect that there is no seal between the sheet metal pan and the metal floor frame of the MH and that fumes are coming in around the pan. They then enter the cavity between the pan and the MH floor. In the area of the furnace there are holes in the floor where the heating ducts and wires run. I am thinking that the fumes come up through those holes.

Sherman

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 8004
yep we had the same problem when we had our 2010 seneca.

i've added 2 pictures to my photo section. these flaps are in front of the rear duals.

don

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8061
I have a 2007 34SS with the same burnt rubber smell that comes from the furnace area when the front right passenger mud flap rubs against the tire. While the smell comes from the tire and mud flap, it comes into the MH through a gap between a sheet metal pan that forms the top of the wheel well and the frame for the MH. I know this because I took this area of the MH apart last weekend to find out what was wrong. In the passenger side wheel well, the gap leads directly into the furnace cabinet. Our furnace cabinet floor was covered with road dust and black rubber-like dust. This is the area where the furnace picks up the cold air return and pumps the air through out the motor home. I suspect this is why the entire MH smelled like burnt rubber from time to time. It cleaned up easily with soap and water. The inside of the sheet metal pan directly above the passenger side dual wheels was also covered with road dust etc. I hosed it off. The real trick is figuring out how to seal the gaps. Whoever assembled the passenger side of my truck did a very poor job. The sheet metal pan which is the "roof" of the wheel well was bent and mis-shapen when it was installed. It also looked like either the pan, or the frame it is supposed to sit in, were the wrong dimensions, leaving about a one-inch gap in front of the mud flap that lead directly into the furnace cabinet. Quality assurance at Jayco really dropped the ball on this one.

The driver's side wheel well was better. It still had small gaps but not to the degree I found in the passenger's side. It cleaned up and was reassembled and the small gaps were foamed with little trouble.

As noted, to solve the problem, after cleaning everthing I used construction foam to fill the gaps. I was a rather large job but I think the problem is solved.

Best of luck to all.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 8064
Thanks for this great post. DH made a temporary fix. Photos in album.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 8065
For those of you in the Midwest Menards also carries the foam. $9.00 a can

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ronjhallsr
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2011 1:50 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Flap between exhaust and rear wheels

Good report. Many RV manufactures use a black colored foam. It can be found in a spray can like household foam. It's called Pond and Stone foam.
http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/1246-foam/37518.html
Best
Ron Hall