Skip to main content
Topic: Rear Suspension & Koni Shocks (Read 644 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear Suspension & Koni Shocks

Yahoo Message Number: 10800
I was told that there are 13,500, 15,000 and 19,000 lb rated rear springs and suspension for the Kodiak 5500 series RV chassis.

How can I tell what rating are on my MH?

I am looking into ordering Koni's for my MH and want to make sure I order the right ones.

Thanks

Steven Kerns

Re: Rear Suspension & Koni Shocks

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10801
Look at the build label on headliner behind driver side sun visor.
GXA is 13500
GQO is 15000
QN2 is 19000

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10802
My biild label doesn't even have the same serial number as on the dash. Be careful.

Connected by Motorola

ronjhallsr  wrote:

Look at the build label on headliner behind driver side sun visor.
 GXA is 13500
 GQO is 15000
 QN2 is 19000

Best
 Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10805
Checked tonight and it has the 13,500 springs.

Thanks for the info Ron!

On another note, did you stay at at the Two Rivers Landing RV resort in Sevierville, TN in September? Saw a pic of your Endura and looks just like a Endura with MI plates we saw when we overnighted there in Sept on our way from Arkansas to PA.

Steven Kerns

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10806
It would seem if you have a Seneca, any Seneca, that Jayco should have ordered the GQ0 or QN2? I have a 19,500 GVWR Dutchmen coded GXA (13,500) the lightest of the bunch. The difference between empty and full water plus trailer tongue weight on my 24' box trailer is undetectable!! The rear does not sag at all, the headlights point in exactly the same place etc.

I think the load (and handling) issues many have is due to the light springs and a too heavy chassis overall with 23,000 GVWR and most Senecas running over the scale loaded with your fuel, water and other personal crap at 23,000.

All I can figure...

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 5:59 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Rear Suspension & Koni Shocks

Checked tonight and it has the 13,500 springs.

Thanks for the info Ron!

On another note, did you stay at at the Two Rivers Landing RV resort in Sevierville, TN in September? Saw a pic of your Endura and looks just like a Endura with MI plates we saw when we overnighted there in Sept on our way from Arkansas to PA.

Steven Kerns

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10808
I seem to recall that GVWR for the Seneca is 22,000 lbs. Am I wrong? Given the GCWR of 26,000 lbs we took the gasser over the Duramax so we could legally tow our Tahoe.

Don

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 10809
I think they are all 23,000 GVWR 26,000 GCWR

The Tahoe is 4500# (empty) curb weight so you might be close. Most guys that I have seen who actually weighed their coaches, loaded with thier crap, fuel, water, propane, you, your wife (her weight may vary - LOL), dog etc. is very close the the 23,000# At the end of the day the CCC ends up being about the same amount.

The Senecas have more heavy / luxury stuff in them. I am not sure how much MORE the diesel engine and GenSet are in total weight but its got to be several hundred pounds.

I have weighed mine carefully along with my trailer weight and balance etc. Mine is 19,500# GVWR 26,000 GCWR thus giving me a lot more towing capacity. I went the diesel on a Kodiak Chassis but the Dutchmen variation which is not quite as fancy AND several thousand pounds less weight as delivered.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 9:04 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Rear Suspension & Koni Shocks

I seem to recall that GVWR for the Seneca is 22,000 lbs. Am I wrong? Given the GCWR of 26,000 lbs we took the gasser over the Duramax so we could legally tow our Tahoe.

Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 10810
Actually I think you are correct on at least some of them at 22,000# GVWR

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 9:04 AM

Don

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 10811
The order specs are in the files section.

Our 2007 Tahoe LTZ with third row weighed in at over 5600 lbs. We were concerned that we'd never be anle to keep the weight of the Seneca under 20000 after loading all of our stuff.

Thor did start using the GCWR 30,000 lb unit with Allison 2500 but I can't recall if the GVWR was increased. Might have been 24k. The didn't make very many on that chassis before GM pulled the plug.

Don

Mini

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 10815
I cannot believe that your coach weighs in under 20,000 #s loaded up with you crap, fuel, propane, water etc.

;-)

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

To: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:56 AM

Our 2007 Tahoe LTZ with third row weighed in at over 5600 lbs. We were concerned that we'd never be able to keep the weight of the Seneca under 20000 after loading all of our stuff.

Thor did start using the GCWR 30,000 lb unit with Allison 2500 but I can't recall if the GVWR was increased. Might have been 24k. The didn't make very many on that chassis before GM pulled the plug.

Don

Mini

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 10816
Victor, we had a Jayco Greyhawk GASSER 19,500 GVWR. When we packed we still had about 1,000 lbs to spare and could easily tow the Tahoe. In fact, we were forced through the truck lines when crossing the Ambassador Bridge on one occasion and had to go over the scale. MH + Toad came in at about 23,500 lbs. So, I was also within the license law in Ontario (24,200 lbs including toad for general operators license).

My point was that if we had purchased a Seneca we would not have been able to tow the Tahoe and remain under 26,000 lbs total.

Don

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 10817
Wow!

I most of these coaches are delivered with UNDER 1,000# CCW. Most peoples "stuff" is more than 1,000#s too.

I would need to look at my sticker again but my 34' Dutchmen 19,500 / 26,000 weighed in at 19,520 absolutely full of fuel, water, all my crap, wife, kids, cat etc. Since then I have culled anything I have not used in a year out of the coach from under the bed and from the storage cabinets etc. It was refreshing to dump it all and now have excess room for stuff I do not even need or take......... most of time I don't need the water so that saves 700#s all on its own. Run 1/2 tank of fuel and you are another 250# lighter, loose another 80#s on average propane tank etc. etc. etc.

That scale check was my most extreme trip loading ever as far as cargo, bikes, fuel, water, propane and junk .....so for that I was very grateful.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:54 PM

Victor, we had a Jayco Greyhawk GASSER 19,500 GVWR. When we packed we still had about 1,000 lbs to spare and could easily tow the Tahoe. In fact, we were forced through the truck lines when crossing the Ambassador Bridge on one occasion and had to go over the scale. MH + Toad came in at about 23,500 lbs. So, I was also within the license law in Ontario (24,200 lbs including toad for general operators license).

My point was that if we had purchased a Seneca we would not have been able to tow the Tahoe and remain under 26,000 lbs total.

Don

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 10818
Of course yours is a diesel with a diesel generator and that makes a difference. Really good carrying capacity - although IMO the rear springs were on the light side.

Greg Gimlick's unit is identical to mine.

Don

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 10819
My 08 35 GS has the 19,000 rear springs/ 22,000 GVW GCVW 26,000 when I weighed loaded for a 3 week trip, full propane & fuel, 1/3 tank water approx 1/3 blk tank it weighed in at 21,660 with both of us in the cab

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:17 PM

Of course yours is a diesel with a diesel generator and that makes a difference. Really good carrying capacity - although IMO the rear springs were on the light side.

Don

On 2013-03-12, at 11:08 PM, Victor Burns vburns1@...> wrote:

Wow!

I most of these coaches are delivered with UNDER 1,000# CCW. Most peoples "stuff" is more than 1,000#s too.

I would need to look at my sticker again but my 34' Dutchmen 19,500 / 26,000 weighed in at 19,520 absolutely full of fuel, water, all my crap, wife, kids, cat etc. Since then I have culled anything I have not used in a year out of the coach from under the bed and from the storage cabinets etc. It was refreshing to dump it all and now have excess room for stuff I do not even need or take......... most of time I don't need the water so that saves 700#s all on its own. Run 1/2 tank of fuel and you are another 250# lighter, loose another 80#s on average propane tank etc. etc. etc.

That scale check was my most extreme trip loading ever as far as cargo, bikes, fuel, water, propane and junk .....so for that I was very grateful.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

center
To:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:54 PM

Don

On 2013-03-12, at 10:00 PM, Victor Burns vburns1@...> wrote:

I cannot believe that your coach weighs in under 20,000 #s loaded up with you crap, fuel, propane, water etc.

;-)

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

center
To: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com" KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:56 AM

Our 2007 Tahoe LTZ with third row weighed in at over 5600 lbs. We were concerned that we'd never be able to keep the weight of the Seneca under 20000 after loading all of our stuff.

Don

Mini

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 10820
Dave, I was referring to my springs being on the light side. I should have put airbags on the rear.

Your weight number was my concern as we always have 3 on board along with the extra stuff the third (Phil) brings along. We would certainly have exceeded 26000 with the Tahoe. Also would have had a license issue which becomes an insurance issue.

Son

Mini

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 10821
Don Leslie wrote:

Of course yours is a diesel with a diesel generator and that makes a
difference.

Huge difference.

Yup, I've had mine weighed a couple of times when I've been really
loaded to the gills. Full water, gas, propane, a bit in the holding
tanks and enough clothes for our four month trip. It tipped the scales
at exactly 18,500 lbs and then the 4000 lb Saturn Vue was dragged
behind. We've crossed the Rockies like that four times.

2007 Jayco Greyhawk 32SS with 8.1L gas and Allison 6 spd xmsn

Greg

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 10822
Again I am new to the site and RVing. We purchased a 2005 Gulfstream Endura in October, 6340. Based upon all of the conversations here I had it weighed prior to putting new tires on it. With 3/4 tank of fuel, empty water and sewage tanks, full propane tank and two people, it weighed 17,880 lbs. The front axle weighed in at 5900. It is also a 19,500 GVWR with 26,000 total. I figure once we get packed and carry some water we will be at our limit.

Again thanks for the site your guys have been very helpful.

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 10823
17,880# Base weight
FUll Water 80 Gal X 8#/Gal = 640
Your 'crap' Est. ~1,000#

TOTAL 19,420# and totally believable!

Add in full fuel of another 20 gallons - 120#

19,540# Starting out on your trip! RIght on the money!

Its pretty easy to accumulate 1,000# of stuff - spare food, dishes, linens, beer, bottles water, clothes, tools, hoses blah blah blah.

You are right where they designed this to depart for you journey. - Be careful though if you are like us and take the 9# cat / cat box and food too!

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:28 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Rear Suspension & Koni Shocks

Again I am new to the site and RVing. We purchased a 2005 Gulfstream Endura in October, 6340. Based upon all of the conversations here I had it weighed prior to putting new tires on it. With 3/4 tank of fuel, empty water and sewage tanks, full propane tank and two people, it weighed 17,880 lbs. The front axle weighed in at 5900. It is also a 19,500 GVWR with 26,000 total. I figure once we get packed and carry some water we will be at our limit.

Again thanks for the site your guys have been very helpful.