Skip to main content
Topic: Norcold Regrigerator issue (Read 545 times) previous topic - next topic

Norcold Regrigerator issue

Yahoo Message Number: 10509
Every few hours I get an error on fridge....no fl. I looked it up and it is that it isn't getting propane. I reset it and all is fine. I have plenty of propane. Any ideas?

Re: Norcold Regrigerator issue

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10510
I only get this message at start up after storage. Usually takes one or two tries to get the air out of the propane feed to the Fridge.

1) Check the voltage on your batteries. The controller and starter for the fridge propane are dependent on your coach batteries. A quick check is from your generator control panel if you have one.

2) You may have a failure in your ignition system for your fridge. That is professional territory and get that inspected ASAP as you have potential for fire. Something too familiar to Norcold owners.

Please let us know what you discover...

Kevin
Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10511
Thanks I have a repair guy coming out tomorrow to have a look. He also thought it could be igniter or the circuit board might need to be reset. I will update after he inspects it.

Another question...my onan generator control and the white multi displays that shows grey water, black water etc, often show different battery levels. Any ideas why? I have been trusting on an one, but still curious.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10512
i've never experienced it but I have seen reports of spiders making webs in burner cavities and hindering propane flow in RV appliances. These areas are easily seen on water heaters and furnaces, but some disassembly is needed on a refrigerator to get to the burner area.

http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=87563.0

Charles

Re: KIB Monitor was ....

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10517
Opinion in here. I looked at this carefully at one time, but this is all from Memory.

Ian -I think you are correct and the one to trust is the Onan.

I have picked up conflicting information, but the one that seems most accurate is that the KIB monitoring panel - [the one that has the tank monitor and the pump / water heater switches] - is doing a straight voltage comparison. When the voltage is below a certain threshold then the another LED goes out. That can indicate rate of discharge - or it can indicate battery level if you are in a more steady state.

The issue is that you can have a transient voltage low because you are running the pump say, that does not indicate that the battery is in a low state, just that it is under load for a bit. Same thing with the other big current draw - THE FURNACE! That is why some folks say the the KIB really indicates the rate of discharge.

The Onan has both a Batterylevel indicator, and a voltage read out. The ONAN battery level indicator seems to be a bit more robust (the three bar chart) seems to be a bit of a better indicator or charge level on the batteries. This is what is used if you have an autostart when "quiet time" mode is set. The ONAN monitor also looks at discharge over time, and if it sees a rapid discharge it can turn the generator on automatically if you have that set. (Say you plug an inverter into the DC side with a high current draw.)

I also believe that the voltage levels on the KIB monitor are low for what I would think would lead to good battery life maintenance. That is by the time you have lost two lights (steady state) you are at 11 volts! Cycling like that can lead to shorter battery life. So it is really not that much help. I guess you are OK at 1 light out, but more than that and you are shortening battery life.

I believe in living off the top of the battery - charge when you are 12.4 to 12.5 volts, and determine that by the Onan read out.

Does that help?

Last time I wrote about this I had some very strong opinions come back. So maybe those folks can weigh in with their opinions.

I guess another way of saying it is that the KIB monitor does just about as good a job reporting battery level as it does tank level ;-)

Kevin

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

To learn more - http://www.kibenterprises.com/monitorpanels.html

Re: KIB Monitor was ....

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10524
Thanks for the explanation. That makes great sense.

As for the KIB on tank levels.......