Skip to main content
Topic: Batteries going dead (Read 1095 times) previous topic - next topic

Batteries going dead

Yahoo Message Number: 13947
I have a 2014 jayco Seneca. I have a main power disconnect switch that disconnects the main chassis batteries, however since all 4 batteries are tied together after a long period of time, they all drain.
I installed a manual disconnect switch on each of the two neg posts, but still have power to the small step light and steps. Anyone have an idea where I've gone wrong??

Gene

Re: Batteries going dead

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 13949
Steps powered through chassis batteries? Rather than through coach batteries? That would be my guess. Or do you have it plugged in? May be getting power through the charger. But you said coach battery disconnects, so not likely to be plugged in.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 13950
Not sure where steps are powered from. I have attempted to disconnect all batteries and steps and light still works. Nothing else inside does, not even the starter! I was hoping someone with a Seneca might know what I'm talking about.

Gene

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 13951
My Dutchmen is the same way. When Kodiak battery is disconnected and coach batteries are switched off the step still operates. I just assumed that the steps are wired directly to the coach batteries bypassing the disconnect switch.
On January 10, 2015 4:16:04 PM MST, "Gene Blanton cwasp2@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Not sure where steps are powered from. I have attempted to disconnect all batteries and steps and light still works. Nothing else inside does, not even the starter! I was hoping someone with a Seneca might know what I'm talking about.

Gene

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 13952
I'm pretty sure my Kodiak Greyhawk had the steps wired directly to the chassis battery under the co-pilot. Greg, yours should be the same. Is my memory working?

Don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 13953
Yup, it's working just fine :-) Mine is wired directly to chassis battery.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 13955
I failed to say which battery pack. Steps are wired to coach batteries

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 13958

I was told toggle switch on steps must be on and overhead light toggle switch must also be on for steps to work.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 13959
Steps and light works with all 4 batteries disconnected by way of negative post disconnect!

Gene

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 13960
They are connected to chassis batts for safety ~

Victor Burns KI6IM Embark TB390 Bunkhouse

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 14000
Just to let anyone that is interested, to know what I found out from Jayco about my batteries going dead. There is a dedicated hotwire from the chassis batteries that feeds the converter and is still active, even with all negative posts disconnected. That is why the steps and light still functions.
Thanks to all who tried to help!

Gene

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 14003

Hmmmm, I am trying to make sense of that ststement and having trouble.
~
Victor Burns
KI6IM
Embark TB390 Bunkhouse

Date:Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 4:04 PM
Subject:[SuperCrvgroup] Re: Batteries going dead

Just to let anyone that is interested, to know what I found out from Jayco about my batteries going dead. There is a dedicated hotwire from the chassis batteries that feeds the converter and is still active, even with all negative posts disconnected. That is why the steps and light still functions.
Thanks to all who tried to help!

Gene

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 14004
If all the negative wires are disconnected from batteries. Then they should not work. It may be that converter is supplying power to those items threw a isolator.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 14008
I am going to disconnect the positive side, and try to determine this myself. RV repair techs cannot understand it either.

Gene