Skip to main content
Topic: Jayco Greyhawk 33DS Dealership Repairs (Read 876 times) previous topic - next topic

Jayco Greyhawk 33DS Dealership Repairs

Yahoo Message Number: 839
We just got our 2007 33DS back from a trip to the local Jayco dealer this week. There were 2 repair items on my list and Jayco added another (the heat shield TSB) on their own
The first fix was to install new heavier duty hanger brackets for the exhaust pipe. I uploaded photos showing the repairs. The new hangers were welded to the frame like the old ones.
http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/view/2eaf?b=29&m=f&o=0
http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/view/2eaf?b=28&m=f&o=0
The second item on my list was to repair the sliding LPG supply line below the dinette/refrigerator slideout. Incidnetly I coordinated this fix with Jayco factory service (Les). He contacted me after receiving the letter and pictures I had sent and asked me to have my dealer service dept call him directly prior to attempting the repairs. These are the "after" photos of the repaired/replaced LPG fittings.
http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/view/2eaf?b=30&m=f&o=0
http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/view/2eaf?b=31&m=f&o=0
The final item was the front bay heat problem TSB. I had not received the TSB yet but when the dealer service folks contacted Jayco regarding the other repairs, they were notified of the TSB. I uploaded a scan of the TSB (FYI) and a photo of the "fix". It appears that the heat shield is some of the insulating flexible mat material. Don't know the brand they used but I know DynaMat makes a version of the product. The mat material is taped to the outside surface of the storage bay using metal foil tape.
http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/view/2eaf?b=26&m=f&o=0
http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/view/2eaf?b=27&m=f&o=0
For you other 33DS owners... PLEASE NOTE: I've had the coach back home for just a week and the metal tape is already peeling away from the plastic storage bay surface in several places. That's after the less than the 15 mile trip from the dealer to home. The insulating mat material may well work fine but the tape is NOT going to hold it in place. It won't be long before the moisture gets in and the strong flow of air beneath the coach while traveling will cause it to peel away. I will send pictures of the (already failing) installation to Jayco and hopefully they will come up with a real solution.
http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/view/2eaf?b=32&m=f&o=0
Bill

Re: Jayco Greyhawk 33DS Dealership Repairs

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 840

I don't know if it will work with the heat shield, but gorilla glue sticks to just about anything... I "glued" the door shock to the door with it because the screws had become loosened and had nothing to grab... that was a month ago, and the glue is still holding.

Denny

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 841
I don't know if it will work with the heat shield, but gorilla glue
sticks to just about anything... I "glued" the door shock to the door with
it because

the screws had become loosened and had nothing to grab... that was a
month ago, and the glue is still holding.

Denny

Yeah Denny, I came up with several other simple but effective
resolutions too. I just get so frustrated when they can't (or won't)
think things through and get it right the first time or the second
time, or the.... (fill in the blank).

Bill

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 842

Bill,

I'm dealing with Four Winds on a similar issue as we speak... they "forgot" to install an exhaust tip cooler on my tailpipe. So they send me a TSB telling their dealer to wack off a couple feet on the end of the tailpipe and weld on the cooler, with no heat shields. Of course, the tailpipe comes out 4" in front of my passenger side rear duals, and another 4" from my entrance step. When the step opens, the 1300 degree tailpipe (when regenerating) could burn anyone that comes in contact with it. I called them, and was told that was where it should be.

So this weekend I'm at Beaudry RV in Mesa, AZ and look at a 2008 model... guess what, IT comes out the drivers side, a couple feet in front of the rear duals and where no-one can get burned, and there are 2 large heat shields protecting the underside of the coach from catching fire.

What they don't realize is if the damn coach burns, they have opened themselves up for a lawsuit, just like Jayco will be facing if your heat shield falls off....

Denny

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 843
What they don't realize is if the damn coach burns, they have opened
themselves up for a lawsuit, just like Jayco will be facing if your
heat shield

falls off....

Denny,

In my case the temps are not as radical as with the exhaust tip
attachment. It's not likely to cause a fire, just soften the plastic in
the worst case. This has occurred to at least one of the folks
(exfuzz02) who posts on the RV Net forum. Jayco fixed his (on an
individual basis)in a much more comprehensive fashion involving 2 fixed
rigid shields.

So far I have only noted that my compartment gets pretty warm. It will
likely be different during the hot summer months though. I also make a
point of not putting anything volatile in there.

Bill

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 844
Bill, that is what annoyed me a lot with our Journey and Ambassador and it appears Jayco is in the same boat. With somany things one can see very little thought was given to the solution, especially when a guy with five thumbs on each hand (me) looks at it and can see a better way.

In some respects I'm looking forward to our visit to the Jayco plant for repairs in April. If they don't do a decent job there is little doubt in my mind that a Jayco is unlikely to be our fifth MH.

BTW, did anyone ever learn the REAL reason Jayco discontinued the Kodiak Greyhawk?

Don Leslie
Brantford Ontario & Palmetto Florida (in the winter)
2007 Jayco Greyhawk 32SS (parked next to our Chariot Eagle 42 ft park model in Florida)
Toad - 2007 Tahoe LTZ
Blue Ox base plates, tow bar and rear light bar (fits in Tahoe receiver)
Brake Buddy

Prior hardware
06 HR Ambassador 40PLQ Cummins ISC 330/950 9/05-5/07
04 Winnie Journey 39W CAT C7 330/860 7/04-9/05
00 Triple E Commander 34 ft F53 V10 5/03-5/04
Toad 04 Colorado Z71 quad cab 04 to 06 box cap and bedroller

On 27-Mar-08, at 10:06 AM, berfle624 wrote:

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 845

Don,

I know you didn't ask for a guess, but I have a good one... Jayco cannot give us the real reason or they might get sued by Thor Industries, but Jayco wanted to "do it right" by extending the wheelbase (spent $$$) and build a safe and "quality" RV...but to do that, they had to compete with Four Winds with almost an identical line. Only Four Winds did not extend the wheelbase (saved $$$) and really built a crappy coach, with a fabric belly board, thin sidewalls, non pre-formed front cap, and everything is stapled in place (ie, vents), cheap drawer locks, cheap windows; they did not pre-drill their cabinet hinges, and basically built CHEAP!

I could buy a "cheap" Four Winds with the diesel option for about the same money as a safe and quality coach from Jayco with a gas engine. In fact, I did just that, for that reason, not realizing the wheelbase is a killer, and everything else was cheap. After all, who checks out the belly board and sidewall thickness?

Four Winds did not have a coach to compete with the Jayco Seneca, so Jayco simply dropped the Greyhawk... but guess what, this weekend I was in Phoenix, AZ and saw what I "thought" was a Seneca parked in a dealers lot... nope, it was a full body painted Four Winds...

Certain RV manufacturers thrive on how to make a cheap RV that will sell... period. Handle a few problems after the sale. The percentages are in the manufacturers corner because most people do their own fixing... if you don't believe me, just look at all the threads on suspension upgrades. We make excuses for the RV builders by taking the position that the coach would have to sell for more money if they built it right, and then we could not afford it. I feel sorry for Thor Industries... they have been in business for decades and have NEVER reported a loss! Sorry for the ranting... hope I didn't p%$^#%$ anyone off.

Denny

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 846

OK, after ranting about the industry this AM, I stopped at a Jayco dealership and asked... I think this is a good answer, and I wasn't far off. The Sales Manager said that Jayco is allotted only a certain number of Kodiak chassis's by GM, which I already knew from information I got from GM... they buy mostly the 213.5" wheelbase, then extend it to suit their needs. By the time they extend the wheelbase and build the Greyhawk, they are almost at the cost of the Seneca, with less markup due to competition. Therefore, a decision was made to build only Seneca's on that chassis because there was a better margin of profit.

Denny

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 847
OK. That jives with what I heard last fall. So, it appears they have the party line out there. Plausible anyway.

Given GM's problems, one would think they would have no problem producing more Kodiaks. If they have, it just highlights why their stock is in the dumper.

D

On 27-Mar-08, at 9:14 PM,

Re: Jayco Greyhawk 33DS Dealership Repairs - Update

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 858
After examination of the repairs, I sent an email with pictures to Les at Jayco. I heard back from him and it appears that my dealer service folks did not contact him prior to making the repairs afterall. This was after I had stressed to the service dept people that Les/Jayco had asked to be called first. Sigh...
I'm not sure of all the details yet but Les said he would contact my dealer and direct them to contact me to get the coach back in again (hopefully to do it right this time).
Stay tuned...
Bill

Re: Jayco Greyhawk 33DS Dealership Repairs - Update

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 859
Interesting. Les is the guy I've been dealing with since this past summer. Seems to be fairly helpful.

Don

On 29-Mar-08, at 9:01 PM, berfle624 wrote: