Skip to main content
Topic: Electrical Problem - steps and levelers (Read 801 times) previous topic - next topic

Electrical Problem - steps and levelers

Yahoo Message Number: 3613
Just added an electrical schematic to the files section, follow this path - Files- Jayco Seneca -Seneca Info -K-intranet-jaycoams-public-e...PDF92-08-0103180.tif.

I would appreciate any input from you experts to help me locate the source of my intermittent problem with my steps and levelers. My steps and levelers have been going out at the same time, resetting themselves and then functioning for short periods of time. The steps will click when they refuse to extend or retract, and each occurrence is combined with the levelers not functioning at all. I have established that the power to my steps is fine, having put a meter on the four way connecter when the problem occurs as directed in the trouble shooting guide for the steps. The levelers also appear to have power as the push pad lights up as normal during the malfunction. The dealership insist that the problems are unrelated as the two systems are in no way tied together, but both issues occur at the same time, never separately. I am lost looking at the schematic!

As I sit now my levelers are down and will not retract and my steps are 1/2 way in and will not move in or out any further. I am unable to move the MH and thus unable to bring the Seneca in for service. Today marks the third day of the steps clicking without the customary eventual reset that has led up to what now is a total failure. The dealer has recommended removing and draining the hydraulic lines to each leveler leg as a last resort to get it in for service. I do not want to do this, help!!

Re: Electrical Problem - steps and levelers

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 3614
Let me also add that the understep and stairwell lights also do not function durring the step and leveler problem.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 3615
, "scottmbt"  wrote:
Let me also add that the understep and stairwell lights also do not function durring the step and leveler problem.

, "scottmbt"  wrote:

Just added an electrical schematic to the files section, follow this path - Files- Jayco Seneca -Seneca Info -K-intranet-jaycoams-public-e...PDF92-08-0103180.tif.

I would appreciate any input from you experts to help me locate the source of my intermittent problem with my steps and levelers. My steps and levelers have been going out at the same time, resetting themselves and then functioning for short periods of time. The steps will click when they refuse to extend or retract, and each occurrence is combined with the levelers not functioning at all. I have established that the power to my steps is fine, having put a meter on the four way connecter when the problem occurs as directed in the trouble shooting guide for the steps. The levelers also appear to have power as the push pad lights up as normal during the malfunction. The dealership insist that the problems are unrelated as the two systems are in no way tied together, but both issues occur at the same time, never separately. I am lost looking at the schematic!

As I sit now my levelers are down and will not retract and my steps are 1/2 way in and will not move in or out any further. I am unable to move the MH and thus unable to bring the Seneca in for service. Today marks the third day of the steps clicking without the customary eventual reset that has led up to what now is a total failure. The dealer has recommended removing and draining the hydraulic lines to each leveler leg as a last resort to get it in for service. I do not want to do this, help!!

Scott,

thanks for the schematic,

my first try would be the grounds.

the 10 ga GREEN that comes out of the "triple electric step w/harness"

next i would be looking into that 10 ga red wire above the green wire on the harness. note, that red wire goes up to a 20 amp reset breaker and there is another red wire on that terminal that goes to the "jack control box".

you could bypass the breaker to see if that fixes the problem. breakers will only reset soo many and then become too weak to hold.

don

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 3616
, "scottmbt"  wrote:

, "scottmbt"  wrote:

ps: does the porch light work?

don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 3617
Yes the porch light is functioning, stairwell and understep not.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 3618
, "scottmbt"  wrote:

if you say you have power to the steps motor and the ground is good then the steps should work.

looking at fig. "inset 10a" in the electric steps owners manual, the porch light has it's own ground, where the step light is grounded through the control unit. fig 10 shows the "wiring diagram for step with control unit"

theres 2 green grounds there, 1 goes to the chassis and the other green to a step.

have you checked the ground?

don

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 3619
Looking at the drawing I see the Porch Lite Switch. Following from the switch to light I see a wire going to the Triple Electric Step W/Harness. The switch appears to be getting power from a source not indicated on the drawing to left of porch lite switch. It may shut power off to step wells and upper light also.
The other common item is the 20 amp Auto Reset Breaker in upper right corner of drawing. This breaker feeds power to steps and jacks. Check this breaker and it's connections.
Power for these items come off the GM batteries on the right side of drawing. Check connections at the Isolator Stud just after the GM Batteries. GM batteries are under passenger side cab steps.
A common problem with the GM chassis is grounds when these type of problems occur. Check connection for the grounds that are shown in drawing for Triple Electric Step W/Harness and all items on right of drawing. Even though they do not show grounds, they have them.
I do not know where the items are located on your MH. Maybe someone with a Jayco can point you to their location.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 3628
Scott, any update? What have you learned?

K

center
From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of scottmbt
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:41 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Electrical Problem - steps and levelers

--- In , "Don"  wrote:
--- In ,
"scottmbt"  wrote:
Let me also add that the understep and stairwell lights also do not
function durring the step and leveler problem.
--- In ,
"scottmbt"  wrote:
Just added an electrical schematic to the files section, follow
this path - Files- Jayco Seneca -Seneca Info -K-intranet- jaycoams- public-e. ..PDF92-08- 0103180.tif.
I would appreciate any input from you experts to help me locate
the source of my intermittent problem with my steps and levelers. My steps and levelers have been going out at the same time, resetting themselves and then functioning for short periods of time. The steps will click when they refuse to extend or retract, and each occurrence is combined with the levelers not functioning at all. I have established that the power to my steps is fine, having put a meter on the four way connecter when the problem occurs as directed in the trouble shooting guide for the steps. The levelers also appear to have power as the push pad lights up as normal during the malfunction. The dealership insist that the problems are unrelated as the two systems are in no way tied together, but both issues occur at the same time, never separately. I am lost looking at the schematic!
As I sit now my levelers are down and will not retract and my
steps are 1/2 way in and will not move in or out any further. I am unable to move the MH and thus unable to bring the Seneca in for service. Today marks the third day of the steps clicking without the customary eventual reset that has led up to what now is a total failure. The dealer has recommended removing and draining the hydraulic lines to each leveler leg as a last resort to get it in for service. I do not want to do this, help!!

ps: does the porch light work?

don

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 3629
I have been waiting for a reply also. Hope he gets it fixed soon.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 3631
Problem solved. I finally got the levelers up on Friday and took it to the dealership on Sat morning with my steps still half way in/out. I brought the schematic that I posted last week in the hopes that I could prove that the two systems are in fact tied together despite what everyone was telling me. I just could not find the solenoid that I felt was the problem.
Well the unit was in the service bay for around an hour and they tell me that the problem was in fact the 100A solenoid 0089045 from the schematic. The ground wire had become loose and the wire between the solenoid and the 20 AMP auto breaker had melted. They changed the solenoid and the breaker as well as the ground and wire feeding the solenoid.
I still don't know where the solenoid is located, as the counter guy told me he thought it was in the second cubby but the service technician was now out to lunch and he was the only person who knew. I could expect a call later in the day as to the location but never got it. Ill check on Monday.

Scott - WHO DAT!

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 3632
Next time I am around a willing Seneca owner. I plan on finding where the items in the electrical drawing are located. Hope to take pictures at the same time.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 3633
Photos would be great. I'm going to call Jayco Monday and see if they have a diagram. The schematic was very helpful! Funny how the location of the leveling system items are labeled. Control box - roof of storage compartment, Leveling solenoid - battery compartment, Isolator Stud - battery compartment, nothing for the steps. All I knew was it was somewhere between the Aux Start on the dash and the steps or levelers.
I am wondering why the Kwikee installation instructions require independent power and Jayco chose to run the power as they did.