Skip to main content
Topic: Design Flaw... 2014 Thor Super C on a F550, 6.7L Diesel. (Read 912 times) previous topic - next topic

Design Flaw... 2014 Thor Super C on a F550, 6.7L Diesel.

Yahoo Message Number: 15229
Design Flaw... 2014 Thor Super C on a F550, 6.7L Diesel.
I have discovered a design flaw regarding the black tank. I was dry camping Memorial Day weekend up near Austin Texas, and my black tank seemed full as the weekend went on. I found something to push down into the toilet and that did help me make it through the weekend, but I do believe there is a flaw in the design of the black tank. The specs show 35-40 gallons on the black and at least 40 on the grey. BTW - I have never had any issues on the grey tank being full too quickly. I had noticed several times over the years that the black tank does not seem to hold as much as I think it should and I think I have finally found the problem.
The tank is mounted just under the toilet and runs across the frame with catch basin on the "clean out" end that holds liquids and in theory - solids too. Well, the slope is not enough and there is not enough flush water to keep the harder stuff moving from the toilet side of the RV to the lower side of the coach. This "blockage" is causing back up that makes me think the tank is full when it is not even close. After a GREAT weekand and upon my return to Baytown, I proceeded to drain the black tank, I timed the flow for a short 5-6 seconds. Pretty fast for a "full" tank... wait, that can't be right. I then filled the tank with a garden hose and timed it again for a full 30 seconds... BINGO.... So, the tank was NOT full although it seemed full since it was not flushing well.

MY suggested fix.... I have a short plastic pipe that will screw into the shower hose and give me some flow into the tank. And/or... I will try to utilize my jacks, to lean the coach the direction of the desired flow, then quickly pour 1-2 gallons of water directly into the toilet to move stuff to the lower area and allow for more holding usage. I will post as solutions are redefined. Jerry in Baytown 15K miles.

Re: Design Flaw... 2014 Thor Super C on a F550, 6.7L Diesel.

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 15231
Goodness Jerry.

Very brave of you to be navigating our Texas weather. We do not seem to be getting a break!
We intend to set up in Montgomery County tomorrow. The RV park got kicked, but we are up on a hill, so should be OK.
570 Red Cross folks on the ground here now, Sheltering, feeding, ... Southern Baptist Disaster Relief doing most of the cooking. We have about 28 Emergency Response Vehicles delivering the food to shelters and mobile feeding.
Best

Kevin (Real) McCoy [@KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006;
"Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 15232
Yes there is a design flaw, I would have thought they would have fixed this on the2014. I had a 2013 and I insisted they find and fix the problem. Since they could not correct the faulty design they installed a new toliet with a maceration in it. I know that isn't spelled correctly but maybe you will know what I mean. That changed all the solids to liquid. Problem solved. They admitted that it was a design flaw. Good luck.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 15233

Thank you... :) I am a native Texas, so we ain't scared of this stuff. We are 23 ft above the bay, here in Baytown, Texas and doing just fine. The RV is safely in the drive beside the house, and the dingy Jeep is safely in the Garage. Thanks for the update. Captain Jerry - Baytown Texas

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 15234

EXCELLENT idea.... Ya know, I have a boat with that type of toilet but never thought of that till you let me know... Thank you, and I will look into that this week. Capt Jerry - Baytown Texas

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 15235
Can you send me some info, and photos regarding the macerator toilet.... I called my local RV repair shop and they did not seem to know much about it. They did not seem interested. Jerry in Baytown

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 15236
I am not sure of the spelling, but I think if you typed it into google it could come up with the info for you. Or you could call Thor in Indiana and they should be able to give you the info as they were who installed it for me. It does change the layout of the bathroom because it is a little bit bigger, but not enough to be a bother. I wish I had it in my current rig, as it was really a game changer for the black water tank.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 15237
Look on Home Depot.com for "Macerating toilet". They're a bit pricey, but are worth the money. We have one in our basement (10 plus years). It pumps everything through a 3/4 PVC pipe...up to the 4 inch sewage pipe. I wish I had one in my RV, but we purchased the one that works on the back end from flo-jet.
Best of luck, let us know how it works out for you!
Happy Travelling!
Jay

Jay Hitaffer

Recording/Touring Artist
King Belvedere Bassist
www. KingBelvedere.com
Spector Bass Endorsement
www. SpectorBass.com
Clayton Custom Picks
www. SteveClayton.com
Secksey Wear Custom Stage Wear
www. SeckseyWear.com