Skip to main content
Topic: Chassis is uneven and one slide won't fully deploy. (Read 602 times) previous topic - next topic

Chassis is uneven and one slide won't fully deploy.

Yahoo Message Number: 10720
Hi All,

I'm still going through my new '07 GS Endura 6362 trying to find the foybles, in's and out's.

The first thing I noticed was that the chassis tilts toward the driver's side (mostly in the front). It's completely unloaded. The weather has not cooperated enough to really crawl under it and see if there are any glaring suspension issues. The thing is I can't even really get it level with the jacks which would bypass the suspension.

The front jacks do not move independently so I tried putting blocks under the driver's side jack. It lifts the other front jack off the ground. The back jacks are independent and I can get it level. I am concerned I may be twisting the frame if it's not already....

Also, the passenger side slide comes about 1" from the seal making contact with the outside wall. There seems to be plenty of battery power. I feel like I am going to have to go to Camping World and have them adjust the slide unless one of you can advise me of how to do this myself.

Thanks,

Neil

Re: Chassis is uneven and one slide won't fully deploy.

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10721
Neil

You should extend jacks and slides always with engine running, if yours is wired like others the power comes from the engine/battery not from house batteries or shore power.

I always extend jacks first as well. Front back and side side

It is possible that one of your control boards for the slide lost its memory, if not enough amp the board looses the programming, i had 2 replaced older versions would do that, hence always extend slides with engine running, I learned the hard way and jayco advised this procedure I told you above.

If lost memory/programming, you can reprogram you will need to look at documentation how to.

My jacks had an issue as well in the beginning not leveling at all, it turn out to be the control/level box underneath was loose and of course not leveled, look for it, somewhere under the floor by the middle of the truck either under one of the storage bays or even under the chassis, can not tell yours where is, mine was inside the storage, I put a double side supper tape and stayed in place but it needed to be calibrated again which I never did.

Good luck
Mo

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10722
I should mention that I have manual hydrolic jacks.

Gulf Stream manuals are not very good. I saw no slide documentation at all but I had assumed there was some sort of limit switch that contolled it. I would have to have Camping World do any kind of programming.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10723
Gulf Stream used Equalizer slide mechanisms and jacks on many MH's. Here is a link to proper operation and other manuals for their products. Look under support documents. http://equalizersystems.com/service/
If your MH tilts toward front left corner. I would suspect that you have a bad spring on the front.
Proper leveling for Gulf Stream is: Rear, side to side. Then front, front to rear.
I do not need to run the engine to get jacks and slides properly positioned. But it helps getting things out or in when cold.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10724
Thanks Ron, I appreciate the time you obviously take on this forum.

The truck was running the first few times I tried. Also, it was about 50 degrees down here in Georgia. I did not have the slide locks in place prior to driving the coach home from Gulf Port. I'm not sure if you have traveled I-59 through Alabama but it is one step above a gravel road. The slide may have shifted.

I plan on moving the coach out onto a concrete surface in the morning to crawl under and check for a bad spring. This may also have been affected by the rough road home.

I tried that leveling sequence as I had read it in one of your earlier posts.

Thanks Again,

Neil

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10725
I also have the manual leveling jacks on my GS 6316. Just FYI, the front leveling jacks don't do any side to side leveling (at least mine don't). They appear to go up and down together only adjusting front height. The rears are used to level side to side.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 10726
I crawled under the chassis this afternoon and did not see any issues with the suspension other than the dust cover having slipped down on the passenger side Bilstein shock. I tried to push it back up into position but with no luck, it just kept falling back down.

I checked around for signs of upgrades and it appears as though there is a 2.5" square sway bar up front and a round sway bar in the rear. They appear factory but I have no idea. The previous owner did not do any upgrades to it. I am still inclined to put airbags on it.

I have to take it to the tag office tomorrow and get it registered so I plan on checking it out on a more level surface.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 10728
Check to make sure the hydraulic tank for the slides/jacks is full to the proper level. If it ran low, air may need to be bled to get it working right.

I bought a used 4WD suburban once - leaf springs on the front. After I bought it, I noticed the same tilt that you described. Turned out to be a damaged front left spring. There was a visible dent on the bottom surface if you looked closely, like the spring hit a hard object with a lot of force (rock?). Never did anything about it as it drove fine and the tires wore well.

Charles