Skip to main content
Topic: Gas Prop replacement (Read 932 times) previous topic - next topic

Gas Prop replacement

Yahoo Message Number: 6069
The gas prop that holds the coach door open has broken on my Seneca. Does anyone know how many pounds of pressure the replacement prop should have? My broken one has no info on it. I went to Camping World and picked up another 20" prop, but all they had was 80 pounds --WAY too much!

George

Re: Gas Prop replacement

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 6079
Thanks Greg . . . Now I'm thinking 20lb since the 40lb was still too much. The 80lb one wanted to rip the brackets right of the door.
Geo

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 6081
hey guys,

where is the gas strut attached to your door, ours was face mounted on the door of our 36FK and indeed it too wanted to rip the brackets right off the door.

i'll add pictures in the photo section that show their first placement attempt and then move the bracket higher.

don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 6082
The mechanism in ours went in the first year and it was replaced by Jayco during one of our visits.

Frankly, I'll miss the Jayco service department as we found Randy Zonker and his crew very good - and fast (with one exception - and they let her go. Her name was Tammy Baker and darned if I could ever get her name out of my mouth without saying "Tammy Fay Baker" :) ).

Don

ps. That reminds me of a corny old joke. "They recently scraped the make up off of Tammy Fay Baker. Really, what did they find? OH, they found Jimmy Hoffa."

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 6084
Thanks for checking. I couldn't find that number at any of the parts sites. Decided to go with a 20" - 20lb gas prop

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 6085
My GS doesn't have that hold open strut. Where can I find that entire assembly? I have looked everywhere and even contacted a Jayco dealer in Las Vegas but never heard back. I'd love a P/N for the unit.
Denny

2006 Seneca 35GS Dmax. Ford Ranger toad.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, December 29, 2010 5:37:58 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Gas Prop replacement

Thanks for checking. I couldn't find that number at any of the parts sites. Decided to go with a 20" - 20lb gas prop

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 6086
novel distributors is a very good and inexpensive source,

http://tools-rvsupplies.com/home.php?cat=

Gas Prop Brackets here,

http://tools-rvsupplies.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

and the gas prop struts here,

http://tools-rvsupplies.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

when i was looking at a embark a few weeks ago i noticed the strut was attached to the bottom side of the coach door. one end being attached to the bottom of the door itself and the other end was fastened to the threshold near the hinge side.

don

, Dennis Bradford
wrote:

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 6087
I will see if I can get a part number for you. They just replaced mine because the one on it was too short and was pulling out of the door. They had already replaced it once, probably because it was too long and ran into the awning arm bending that which they also had to replace. I haven't put out the awning yet as I just got it back and it has been storming since I got it home so have no idea if they will interfere. But I will be taking the MoHo back in for some more fixes so I will see what I can find out.

Sent: Wed, December 29, 2010 5:46:53 PM

My GS doesn't have that hold open strut. Where can I find that entire assembly? I have looked everywhere and even contacted a Jayco dealer in Las Vegas but never heard back. I'd love a P/N for the unit.
Denny

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 6088
If you would please the p/ns for the bracket as well.
Thanks
Denny

Sent: Wed, December 29, 2010 9:25:16 PM

I will see if I can get a part number for you. They just replaced mine because the one on it was too short and was pulling out of the door. They had already replaced it once, probably because it was too long and ran into the awning arm bending that which they also had to replace. I haven't put out the awning yet as I just got it back and it has been storming since I got it home so have no idea if they will interfere. But I will be taking the MoHo back in for some more fixes so I will see what I can find out.

Sent: Wed, December 29, 2010 5:46:53 PM

Denny

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 6089
Denny... are you by chance have your unit parked at Storage One in Las Vegas? I have a Seneca parked next to mine in Las Vegas.

Keith
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 17:46:53 -0800 (PST)
To:
ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com

Denny

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 6090
Not mine. My baby is in St. George and close to home. I will be going through LV on my way to Quartzite mid Jan. Brown towing Red.
Denny

Sent: Wed, December 29, 2010 9:32:14 PM

Denny... are you by chance have your unit parked at Storage One in Las Vegas? I have a Seneca parked next to mine in Las Vegas.

Keith

To:

Denny

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 6091
Saw you mention Vegas thought by chance that was you...thx

Keith

Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 20:52:51 -0800 (PST)
To:

Not mine. My baby is in St. George and close to home. I will be going through LV on my way to Quartzite mid Jan. Brown towing Red.
Denny

Sent: Wed, December 29, 2010 9:32:14 PM

Keith

To:

Denny

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 6092
Sounds like Jayco mounted the struts to give maximum clearance at floor of compartment. GS mounted bottom of strut on side of compartment. Door bracket is near hinge. All the struts are 60 lbs. Must work good. I have not lost one yet. But they do cut into clearance getting wide containers out of compartment.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 6096
The replacement gas prop I just got was from Amazon.com - RV Designer Collection #G22 (20"- full open length - & 20lb push) This is just the prop with ends for ball joint brackets. You can also get this from Camping World on-line. Amazon and CW both sell the ball joint brackets separately. My prop is at the top of the entrance door and stops the door just before it would hit the awning rail.

George