Skip to main content
Topic: GPS recommendation (Read 463 times) previous topic - next topic

GPS recommendation

Yahoo Message Number: 6075
If you don't have one or are thinking of upgrading an antique, you might find this interesting given the nice price.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Garmin-nuvi-255W-4.3-GPS-Navigator-2-Car-Value-Bundle/13050435

In Florida in early December I was struggling with what to get my sons and DIL's for Xmas. I settled on this bundle because I have a 255W and have been extremely pleased with it. The bundle comes with a number of extras that make it much easier to use in a MH and toad by just taking the GPS itself from one to the other.

My son was extra pleased with this since he has a company car and an Avalanche. What put the icing on the cake for him was the fact that his wife has a 255W that he has been "borrowing" (he works all around the Detroit area in the auto manufacturing biz) and then forgetting to return - and annoying her. Thus, he was able to put this unit into use with no learning curve and is really happy with it. The package is really nice as it also includes the data cable for downloading map upgrades (at this time I'm downloading a 1.2GB upgrade using his cable - about six months ago I bought the life time upgrade card for $90 and it entitles me to 4 upgrades a year for this unit as long as it lasts).

So, if you are the market this is a real good value for $120. It is not stocked in the stores but they did deliver it no charge to our nearest Walmart within a week.

I also have a Garmin Street Pilot 2620 (now an antique) and a Tom Tom 930. In addition our Tahoe LTZ had a built in unit (and now we have one in the Flex that replaced the Tahoe) and I have to say I like the 255W far more than the 2620, 930 and Tahoe unit. This week we get to find out how good or bad the GPS in the Flex is as we head back to FLA with the Flex and will have the 255W working as well as the built in unit.

We took the 255W to Australia and NZ in the fall of 2009 and the SD card with the maps was only about $100 and it was a superb investment. With so many new-to-us roads and roundabouts it was nice to get instructions well in advance as to the exit we had to take. It made life much easier on DW as the navigator. In fact she was able to give up that job and just enjoy the scenery.

Don

Re: GPS recommendation

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 6080
Yes, I note that things will be a bit warmer when we get back to FLA. Thanks for leaving good weather behind. Folks here certainly aren't going to have much of an improvement.

I have to admit that after 20+ years of doing I-75 back and forth 2 and often 3 times a year I'm getting tired of it. DW decided she will no longer fly, so there are no other options.

I will be watching the traffic heading south with us as there should be a lot of RVs.

Have a safe trip home - and to hopefully an improvement in the weather in NC.

Don