Skip to main content
Topic: Front Tow Hooks + How to remove chrome wheel covers? (Read 558 times) previous topic - next topic

Front Tow Hooks + How to remove chrome wheel covers?

Yahoo Message Number: 6133
Hello All,
2 questions.

1. How do you remove the chrome covers for the wheels? (Endura 6316) I thought they would just pop off, but I tried to do so with no luck...I'm afraid I'm going to damage them.

2. I need some front tow hooks as I go to the desert and may need a little tug if I get stuck. I can only find one online when searching, but it looks like it's for the 08-09 Kodiaks?..Plus it's 200+

Thank you!!!

Re: Front Tow Hooks + How to remove chrome wheel covers?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 6134
They are held on with 2 large nuts. The nuts are under chrome acorn caps. The caps pry off with a small screwdriver. Look closely at the nut covers. Two of them will be different from the rest. I suggest marking them so they are replaced in the same positions. I use RTV to secure the acorn caps at assembly.

Charles

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 6136
Thanks Charles...We noticed the two different caps and began to pry, I must just need to pry a little harder! =)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 6141
I got my tow hooks off EBAY. They were cheaper than $200. I think seller spent most of his money on shipping. They are heavy. Did a EBAY search "GM tow hook". Found 2 sets for less than $70 with shipping.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 6142
On my Gulfstream Ultra 6331 there are 2 chrome acorn nuts that are actually REAL bolts that securly anchor the chrome covers on to the wheel studs. You should have a wrench that will fit the chrome nuts that came with the unit.

Look for the 2 nuts with a dimple in them - the dimple across one of the sides of the nut and nearest to the cover - may take some time to find. Those are the 2 you remove to take the chrome covers off. These are generally opposite nuts so find one then the other should be easy to find.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 6144

Thanks for the reply Ron. I've been searching for GM tow hooks, Kodiak and Topkick, and c5500 tow hooks...Only one tow hook comes up that states it fits a c5500on an ebay search and the bolt pattern looks very different.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-4500-5500-6500-Truck-front-tow-hooks-Chevy-2010-09-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c56fe7ba3QQitemZ190438079395QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Could you possibly take a picture of how you mounted your hooks? Do you still have the sellers ID name on ebay?

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 6145
Those hooks look just like the ones I put on my 2004 Kodiak. Use the part number in the auction. Call a dealer parts department and see if they will fit your truck. There is another listing with the same set of hooks. But no bolts.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 6146
Thanks Ron - I'll give those hooks a shot...I called a few dealers already and gave them the part number stamped on the hooks - they were no help.