Skip to main content
Topic: Driving through and around Yosemite? (Read 556 times) previous topic - next topic

Driving through and around Yosemite?

Yahoo Message Number: 10923
We are planning to go to/through Yosemite as part of our trip this year and am wondering about others experiance with the tunnels and parking and other notable items of concern.
Our plan is to come through the east entrance and drive around the village and such, then go to our RV camp spot at the KOA just outside the park for a few days. We will take the schuttles and tours from there to the park.

Re: Driving through and around Yosemite?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10924
I should add our vehicle is a 2006 Jayco Seneca 34SS the height is claimed to be 12 foot. My concern is primarily the tunnels.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10925
Last time I was in Yosemite we stayed at a RV park outside of the NP. We had 2 motorcycles. Drove them into the park each day. Drove around all the cars backed up trying to get into park. Do not think that it has gotten any better. That was in 1970.
If you have a Garmin or TomTom GPS download the Low Clearance POI from POI Factory.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10926

We were there couple of years ago. It is beautiful! Stayed at the KOA as well. The KOA is a little far from the park. We entered the park from the west (Hwy 41 from Fresno), exited to the east, on Hwy 120 the down the 9 percent Tioga Pass to Lee Vining then Mammoth Lakes. As I recall, the narrowest part of the road was entering (or in our case leaving) Yosemite Valley on the north side of the Merced River. The lanes are narrow but because the road was blasted into the granite rock I was always worried about scraping the upper side of the RV. Once you are past Big Oak Flat the 40-45 mph road is very well maintained with nice sweeping turns and stunning views. As far as tunnels, they do give the center height and shoulder height (at the last minute!). As I recall, you need to fudge a little toward the center. If you are going in the summer, be prepared for crowds.

As far as other "notable items of concern" we did make the well worth it drive up to Glacier Point. I have made the drive up there several times over the years in both a cab-over camper and a 30 foot Class A. Well, since the last time we were up there they reconfigured parts of the road and parking lot. A sign is now posted indicating that RV's are not allowed. Problem for us was that the sign was covered by a road construction sign. We drove around several hairpin turns (love the turningradius of our Kodiaks!) only to find a full lot with no parking for RV's. Fortunately a kind ranger looked the other way and let us park in a shuttle bus space. I think she was amazed that we were able to naviagate the road in the first place.

Have a great trip!

Rob
Fourwinds 34H