Skip to main content
Topic: Mounting UltraGuard stone-guard (Read 429 times) previous topic - next topic

Mounting UltraGuard stone-guard

Yahoo Message Number: 10928
Prepping for AK trip - took advice from several on this site, and installed stone-guard. Read up on all the options and opinions, and chose the UltraGuard. After several hours of cogitatin' about WHERE to mount it, I decided to NOT mount it on or near the receiver part of the hitch. Rearward from the main tube would interfere with the wiring connector and leave a large space above for rocks to transit; forward of the receiver would require cutting 6-8" out of the center - else it would be ripped off if I did a "gas-station-drag" - and I'd also have to notch the rubber for the hitch framing, and even suspend part of it with chain. Decided to go farther forward - behind the spare, and up against the front edge of the hitch; the 16" version of the UltraGuard, mounted at this location, gives about 1 1/2 - 2" of ground clearance, and no concern about getting pinched or ripped in a "drag."

Didn't buy the mounting kit, since I didn't know how I'd mount it yet - got two sticks of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle iron at Lowes - 6' sticks were $17 each. Welded up a 94" piece (width of the UltraGuard), two 14" pieces welded to the main piece to form a 3-sided channel that provides reinforcement out from the mounting points, and an additional angle
brace provides more vertical stiffening. Hardest part was drilling the 1/2" holes in the frame (figured that was better than welding - and since I don't weld very well...). Replaced the supplied hardware with stainless, and used grade-5 for mounting to the frame.

Since I'd previously asked the Camping World service manager if they could mount one for me - and he declined - I figured this approach,  while not likely the "right way," couldn't be any worse than a shop would do. Will let you know if it doesn't survive the next four months... Posting pics under the "attachments" section (when I figure out how)..

Re: Mounting UltraGuard stone-guard

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10930
That is very similar to my install. I purchased angle iron at a local steel supply/construction supply place that sells steel for home builders.
Best
Ron Hall