Skip to main content
Topic: Front Mount Trailer Hitch (Read 602 times) previous topic - next topic

Front Mount Trailer Hitch

Yahoo Message Number: 2473
Has anyone installed a front mount trailer hitch? I'm considering for when I want to carry bicycles and pull a toad. It's that or putting a roof rack on the toad. Not sure which way I want to go yet.

Regards, GLenn

Re: Front Mount Trailer Hitch

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2474
Why not put a hitch on the toad and carry the bikes on the back of the toad? I do that with my Jeep Wrangler toad.

Sam

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:13:29 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Front Mount Trailer Hitch

Has anyone installed a front mount trailer hitch? I'm considering for when I want to carry bicycles and pull a toad. It's that or putting a roof rack on the toad. Not sure which way I want to go yet.

Regards, GLenn

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 2475
I would but my toad is Toyota Camry and I need to haul four bikes. Most of the 4-bike hitch racks are made for a 2" receiver, but most receiver hitches for Camry's are 1 1/4" receivers. I'm not set on a particular solution - still trying to figure out the best still.

Glenn

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 2476
We can't connect bikes to our toad either. We use the Blue Ox light bar and that mounts in the Tahoe receiver.

Don

(sitting at McCormick Motors in Nappanee. More shortly. Have been at Jayco since Sunday and no internet other than a brief connection to someone's router that would rarely stay for even a minute.)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 2478
We are using the Roadmaster Dual Hitch Receiver http://www.etrailer.com/p-RM-077-4.htm. We need the 4 inch drop anyhow. And this bike carrier http://www.etrailer.com/pc-hitch-racks~A30902.htm. But this carrier is much longer than most and might interfere with the toad, so I had to drill an extra hole for the receiver and we are only using 3 bikes. Other bike carriers are more compact.

David

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 2479
I just ordered something very similar to steinman's dual hitch receiver off Ebay "My Deals Direct" it doesn't have the drop though just an extension at the same height of the current 2" receiver and then an additional 2" receiver raised up a few inches to hold the bike rack. Haven't settled on a bike rack yet though.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 2480
Thanks - I'll probably give the dual hitch receiver a try. I was actually looking at the same bike rack yesterday at performancebike.com. It got good reviews.

I've currently got a Saris 3-bike rack on my Xterra. However, I was loading my bikes the other for the first outing of the season and the bike well fell off one of them -- the quick release was loose. Fortunately, I was standing there when it happened - it would have really ruined my day to have it happen at 60 miles an hour. That's partially why I'm looking at the bed type carrier vice the hanging carrier.

Glenn