Skip to main content
Topic: oil plug (Read 438 times) previous topic - next topic

oil plug

Yahoo Message Number: 7900
Hi all
you guys "ain't" joking.

what is the real deal on the oil drain plug (generator)?

I can go to the store and get a 3/8 socket for my 1/2 wrench (I only have that size in 3/8s). and also stop and get a 3foot of pipe, do I really need that?

do they put locktie on the plug or something?

really...
what is the best way to remove that plug
thank you much
Mo

Re: oil plug

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7902
Sure would like to help you. But my 5500 model has has a oil drain valve. Making it easy to change oil. I have 1/2" sockets all the way down to 7/16. Doesn't help you much unless you want to bring your MH to SE Michigan.

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7903
Telling you, turn on genny and heat it up a bit, it really helped.

Keith
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:26:37 -0400
To:
ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] oil plug

Hi all
you guys "ain't" joking.

what is the real deal on the oil drain plug  (generator)?

I can go to the store and get a 3/8 socket for my 1/2 wrench  (I only have that size in 3/8s). and also stop and get a 3foot of pipe, do I  really need that?

do they put locktie on the plug or something?

really...
what is the best way to remove that plug
thank you much
Mo

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 7904
Thanks Ron,
I actually bought a reducer for my 1/2 drive to 3/8 and then a 3/8 socket, they do not make 3/8 for 1/2 drives, and that worked fine. I was able to remove the plug.

Now, I may have to drive to MI to have you remove the filter, I double dare and pay double, I got a filter (band type) removal tool, it is a fraction just too big for the existing filter, I tried and tried, no way, it would fit the new filter just fine, oh well, so tomorrow I go buy yet another one, maybe a cap type 2.5 in for a wrench drive, that may work, I even took the shroud off ( all 12 bolts) and all to make it easier access.
So if I still can not remove after all that, than I may have to drive to MI, ahahha

thank you much
Mo

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 7906
I have been worried about this 3/8, 1/2 drive thing. My one set is 50 years old. Thought well they do not make them any more. First set of sockets I looked at had 3/8" X 1/2" drive. Most sets with that size are impact type. It was at Walmart.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/11-Piece-1-2-Drive-SAE-Deep-Impact-Socket-Set/8727991
I have several different type and sizes of filter wrenches. My most reliable wrench is a large pair of Channel Lock pliers.
http://www.channellock.com/460-Straight-Jaw-Plier.aspx
or this.
http://www.channellock.com/Category.aspx?zcid=109

Good luck with the project.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 7907
Good old Wally, I went to Autozone and PepBoys they did not have it, hence the reducer, I like these pliers, will look for on.
thanks
Mo