Skip to main content
Topic: Water siphoning from water tank (Read 417 times) previous topic - next topic

Water siphoning from water tank

Yahoo Message Number: 6512
My water tank is rectangular for most of the tank but at the top it has a very large surface area that discoverers the entire width of the coach. As such when I fill it up all the way I get some serious siphoning action which takes up to 1/4 of my 80 gallon tank away. I don't dry camp much but have started to lately sine we have an off road car / dune buggy.

My local repair guy has seen this issue on some coaches and are presently installing vacuum breakers on the two overflow/breather lines.

I was going to install valves on these and then try and remember when I had them shut off but they think this is a better option.

Will report back later on the performance and keeping my tank full to my destination.

Re: Water siphoning from water tank

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 6516
I have the same problem with my Dutchman. When I take a right hand turn, the water goes to the left side of the tank and the pressure pushes water out the overflow lines.I considered installing valves, but thought the pressure or vacuum created going over the mountains and back down to sea level might cause a problem.A large drop in elevation will collapse a plastic water bottle.

I don’t understand how a vacuum breaker would stop the water pressure from inside the tank and still let the water exit when you overfill the tank. If vacuum breakers would stop the problem, it would make me a happy camper.

When you report back, I would be interested in your repair guys name or pictures of the fix.

Thanks,
Dan

Re: Water siphoning from water tank

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 6591
The vacuum breakers seem to work ok. I made it out this weekend with full tanks.

One warning is that I think I need to watch the tank fill or risk some sort of rupture as the valves are now on the overflow/breather and the back pressure will close them and you will not see water from the overflow. Might need to add a big loop up way above the tank for an overflow so as never to overpresssure the tank? ? ? ?

Victor Burns

kodiak_dutchmen_diesel vburns1@...> wrote: