Skip to main content
Topic: Tampa Supershow (Read 670 times) previous topic - next topic

Tampa Supershow

Yahoo Message Number: 2142
Thanks Don for the continued followup with Jayco service. BTW if your wife is OK and you are able to get to the Supershow, I'd be curious to know if the Jaycos on display have addressed this question.

I did get to the RV show yesterday but it's always like trying to do Disney in one day. After a 2 hour drive over (from Titusville) and 2 hrs back and then being on my feet the rest of the day... I was beat when I got back last night. You really need 2 days because after you leave you realize there are lotsa things you'd like to recheck or followup on.

I don't recall seeing any interesting or unusual new rigs on Kodiak chassis. They did have a Born Free Kodiak model with a bedroom slide but I was really surprised overall at how small the unit seemed.

One of the interesting rigs I saw was the Silver Bullet from Gulfstream. It's got 2 slides yet they still left room for an enormous rear storage area (like the huge under-bed storage area in the single slide Gulfstream and 4-Winds Super-C models). The one at the show was on a Sterling branded chassis but the brochure says it's built on a Ram 5500 (with Cummins 305hp).

I've always be fascinated with Renegade coaches but noted early on that the tanks and plumbing have always been fully exposed to the elements (like Greyhawks). I crawled underneath the Renegade on display at the show and was pleased to see that the tanks and plumbing were enclosed. I asked the factory rep about that and he said they just began doing that this past year. So... if one could manage to spring for the bucks for a new Renegade then it could finally be a 4-season coach.

And of course... not a Bigfoot in sight. Sigh...

I've uploaded several photos to the "photos" section.

Bill

Re: Tampa Supershow

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2143
Going tomorrow. OrthoDoc said break was right through but is clean with no shift. She has a new motion eliminator (i.e. steal brace) on now.

Of course, there is a bit of a price to pay - we have to go to the Super Jo-Ann on the way. I decided I'd better go to the Brandon Town Center next door to Jo-Ann and get a new battery for my MacBook. It is on about 15 hours a day and after 2 1/2 years it is pretty well shot. So, we won't get there until near 11AM but I think we can stay until very late in the afternoon.
The drive to the Tampa Fairgrounds is only 36 miles and both side trips are on the way.

I'll see what I kind find on the showers in the new Jaycos. I'll try to remember to take a camera.

Don

On 15-Jan-09, at 9:57 PM, berfle624 wrote:

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 2144
We enjoyed the show also but didn't really see any new innovations
either, saw the Silver bullet you were speaking of
and the Born Free Kodiak they seemed low to ground and looked like it
would drag if you had dips in road.

berfle624 wrote:

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 2145

Bill,

Did you notice what the carrying capacity was on the Silver Bullet?

Denny

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 2146
Bill,

Did you notice what the carrying capacity was on the Silver Bullet?

Denny

No I didn't Denny. All I know is that the chassis is 19,500 GVWR & it
was the 33B model (35'1" long). I think Gary may be right about the
low ground clearance though. I was able to pick up a sales brochure on
it with specs but haven't found much of anything definitive on the
internet about it. One of the peculiar items I noted afterwards in the
specs was "Acrylic Thermopane Windows". That was a new one on me. The
only reason I was at all interested was that the design had the
cavernous storage area in the rear but still had the bedroom slide.
Maybe Don will think to ask the sales rep about the CCC.

Bill

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 2147

Bill,

With a 19,500 GVWR and a bedroom slide, often the weight is poorly distributed, and likely is already at max for the rear axle. All that "cavernous" storage will safely hold is bubble wrap.

Denny

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 2148

The wheelbase would be another feature to check. with a 35 ft length, you would likely want at least a 239" wheelbase.

Denny

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 2149

It's likely you are correct regarding the safe load capacity of that storage cavern. I just like the design layout. Perhaps they're targeting the niche of balsa wood collectors.

With a wheelbase of 238.5" they almost hit your target...

Bill

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 2151
AND ......... I did, but I can't remember the exact number (looked at a lot of weight labels today). Gulfstream is putting its label in a cupboard with a different format. They provice GVWR, UVW, and then say deduct for the following as appropriate - and provide details for weight of water, propane, and people. I think the UVW was not much different than my Kodiak.

We were also in their SuperMax which has the same Sterling/Dodge Ram chassis. The unit they had on site had bunk beds and was reasonably nice. The Acrylic windows are pretty good and their implementation is also interesting. They swing out and look like awnings - and the screens come down and cover the window inside. Very nicely done.

The cab - absolutely sucks. Seats were very low. It was murder trying to get into the driver's seat from inside the MH. Seat was low and no power adjustments at all. Unless one is fairly small it is a real PITA to get into the seat.

The Silver Bullet that is there is, in fact, the 29A, which is 31 ft 9 inches long. The unit on display was NOT the same as the unit in the brochure. After doing the brochure they added a slide to the bedroom and the display unit did not have the complete U shaped dinette. UVW wasn't much different from the SuperMax. Cab was, of course, the same and terrible. Transmission is a 6 speed Aisin. The guy claimed it was going to eat into Allison's share of the market. I asked him "who makes it" and he didn't know. A bit of googling indicates Aisin is very large, majority owned by Toyota, and GM and Freightliner, among others, use its transmissions - and it may be larger than Allison.

The huge storage compartment is very nice. The large window above the cab over is also interesting but I wonder how hot it will get there.

If we were switching these units would go on our "have a look" list but I have a feeling we wouldn't end up buying.

Also looked at the Born Free Kodiaks. Sure short on basement storage compared with our 32SS.

Don