Skip to main content
Topic: Radiator Failure..who else? (Read 558 times) previous topic - next topic

Radiator Failure..who else?

Yahoo Message Number: 5378

Mine is history on my 08 Dutchmen. Warranty? Source of problem? Shit plastic? 9000 miles.

Re: Radiator Failure..who else?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 5379
Quote from: VVBurns

Mine is history on my 08 Dutchmen. Warranty? Source of problem? Shit plastic? 9000 miles.

See this link: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386066

I called all the radiator internet sites looking for an all metal radiator and could not find one. Removed the radiator myself, used channel locks for the special pliers on the radiator hoses clamps. Had to bend back (2-3 inches) the front cooler brackets to get the radiator out, did not have to open the AC or front cooler lines. The gasket between the plastic tank and metal radiator was bad. Check for a radiator shop that have special tools to open and close the metal bend down clamps. My 08 Kodiak was out of 2 year warranty by 3 months. Radiator repair cost was $100.00, special antifreeze about $50.00. Best price for new radiator was GMPartsDirect, heavy duty shipping cost and as I read the contract, wait time could be forever with no way to cancel as this is a special order part.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 5421
, "ch_1027"  wrote:
, VVBurns  wrote:Mine is history on my 08 Dutchmen. Warranty? Source of problem? Shit plastic? 9000 miles.

See this link: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386066

I called all the radiator internet sites looking for an all metal radiator and could not find one. Removed the radiator myself, used channel locks for the special pliers on the radiator hoses clamps. Had to bend back (2-3 inches) the front cooler brackets to get the radiator out, did not have to open the AC or front cooler lines. The gasket between the plastic tank and metal radiator was bad. Check for a radiator shop that have special tools to open and close the metal bend down clamps. My 08 Kodiak was out of 2 year warranty by 3 months. Radiator repair cost was $100.00, special antifreeze about $50.00. Best price for new radiator was GMPartsDirect, heavy duty shipping cost and as I read the contract, wait time could be forever with no way to cancel as this is a special order part.

Just this weekend my fan expoded and cut a gash in radiator, cost me 2000.00 for radiator cowling and fan. I have an 06 senica

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 5422
I have a post going here and RV net about my fan fragging the egine compartment. I filed a report with the NHTSA and found two more there and one more here you are number 5... later models have a different fan and shroud. myfan failed where the blades connect to the outer ring.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 5491
, "seand1109"  wrote:
I have a post going here and RV net about my fan fragging the egine compartment. I filed a report with the NHTSA and found two more there and one more here you are number 5... later models have a different fan and shroud. myfan failed where the blades connect to the outer ring.

, VVBurns  wrote:

Just got is from another Forum,
"I ran this by a friend who is a heavy duty diesel repair shop owner. I did not get much past "Luke, some cooling fans are exploding on Duramax powered motorhomes and I'm worried". He said basically, the fan is designed to spin at 1800 RPM max. There is a combined thermostatically controlled lock up clutch with a slipper function so it never exceeds 1800 RPM.

If you notice, in every case the engine was accelerating or more often had the exhaust brake on decelerating at higher RPMS. The slipper function failed to release and the fan over revved and exploded.

He said you will be able to hear the fan engaged if the clutch fails and stays locked. Pay attention for the increased whirring sound with a marked loss of power. If that happens, turn off the exhaust brake and take it easy."

Make note it is likely the clutch that is failing...

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 5495
Mine is done - New replacement (same old Shitty GM part.....) radiator, diagnosed, removed and replaced for about $1600. Ho Hum.....

The most aggravating thing is with all the RV dealers who went out of business my coach never got the warranty "re"-started so it appears it started when the TRUCK left the production line and not when the coach was sold. Still working on that one. I also have a Good Sam extended warranty.

But at the purchase price of $65K I am way ahead to the game anyway.

...Now where to go? I have been sticking very close to home of late as my mother was in the late stage of ovarian cancer. She passed away peacefully 30 August and is missed very much. She would come with us and really enjoyed traveling in the coach with us and my 5 year old (now) twin girls.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, September 9, 2010 5:11:40 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Radiator Failure..who else?

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 5496
Victor Burns wrote:

Mine is done - New replacement (same old Shitty GM part.....) radiator,
diagnosed, removed and replaced for about $1600. Ho Hum.....

Did the Good Sam warranty pay anything on this? I've been thinking of
doing something with them, but looked over their plan and wondered if it
was worth it. It seems like there are a lot of exclusions on any of the
plans. I sure would like to hear some first hand experiences as opposed
to the ads.

The most aggravating thing is with all the RV dealers who went out of
business my coach never got the warranty "re"-started so it appears it
started when the TRUCK left the production line

Ouch. I did manage to get mine started when I picked it up and with the
995 miles not counting against me.

...Now where to go? I have been sticking very close to home of late as
my mother was in the late stage of ovarian cancer. She passed away
peacefully 30 August and is missed very much.

Sorry to hear about your mother, I lost mine a year ago and it just
isn't easy.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 5499
Is your fan one that came apart or radiator leak?

Sent: Tue, September 21, 2010 1:00:22 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Radiator Failure..who else?

Mine is done - New replacement (same old Shitty GM part.....) radiator, diagnosed, removed and replaced for about $1600. Ho Hum.....

The most aggravating thing is with all the RV dealers who went out of business my coach never got the warranty "re"-started so it appears it started when the TRUCK left the production line and not when the coach was sold. Still working on that one. I also have a Good Sam extended warranty.

But at the purchase price of $65K I am way ahead to the game anyway.

...Now where to go? I have been sticking very close to home of late as my mother was in the late stage of ovarian cancer. She passed away peacefully 30 August and is missed very much. She would come with us and really enjoyed traveling in the coach with us and my 5 year old (now) twin girls.

Sent: Thu, September 9, 2010 5:11:40 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Radiator Failure..who else?

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 5507
Mine was leaking with 9,000 miles on it. New one intalled - that's another story in itself.