Skip to main content
Topic: Rusty 32SS (Read 456 times) previous topic - next topic

Rusty 32SS

Yahoo Message Number: 1065
It's always fun isn't it? The other day when I was at the storage place to get the motorhome and start preparing it for the trip I noticed some rust dripping from the gutter and down the side of the coach. That's odd I thought and certainly can't be good.

Today I went up on the roof and as I touched the rubber strip that goes into the mounting strip to cover the screws some water oozed out. Water shouldn't really get in there, but if it did it shouldn't collect either, but they seal the front of it with lap sealant which had split a tad and that's where the water and rust oozed out.

I pulled the strip out to find four rusted screw heads under it. The rest were fine although I didn't pull all 32 ft out. I removed the screws and the threaded section wasn't rusted so I know the water didn't get inside yet. I filled the holes with sealant and replaced the original screws with stainless steel screws. I can see I'll be doing a lot more replacing of screws just like I did with the trailer I had at the beach.

Here's a few shots of the problem. I got the rust stains off the side of the trailer with some Bartenders Friend. I tried some regular cleaner,  house cleaner, CLR and finally in desperation I tried this. Since it's like Ajax in form I was worried although it says it's safe on fiberglass. I mixed it up with some water to make a real fine paste and put it on a rag to wipe gently. It really did the trick and no signs of scratches on the gellcoat. A touch of wax and the job was over.

Take care,
Greg