Skip to main content
Topic: Heated holding tanks (Read 942 times) previous topic - next topic

Heated holding tanks

Yahoo Message Number: 2002
Question for those that have heated holding tanks. Do you have
switches for the tanks to turn on and off or how are they activated ??
As dumb as this is, I hate to admit that mine is supposed to have
"enclosed, heated holding tanks" so says invoice. Never thought about
it till the cooler weather is setting in and might go on short trip. I
can't find any panel or switches for them. Wrote Four Winds and they
said it is a blanket on the tank and switches are in kitchen wall or
on control panel. Guess what nothing !!! So now I'm writing back as
they should know if it was installed or not. And if not...the fight
begins as it is on the invoice
as being on unit so I paid for it and I want it.
thanks ahead of time for the answers

Re: Heated holding tanks

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2003
my switch (gulfstream) is in the head, on the wall, and makes power available. Then a thermostat actually supplies power to the tanks at 32 degrees.
Morrigan

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 2004

The "key" is in the wording...On the Kodiaks, "enclosed/heated" holding tanks means the holding tanks are located in storage compartments that are "enclosed" and "heated." Therefore, no heat pads are required. Heat "pads" are NOT an option nor are they standard equipment on the 2008 Kodiak Super C or Dutchmen Class C coaches. On the Dutchmen Express and Dutchmen Dorado, the storage compartments are not heated, so they come with optional "heat pads" to keep he holding tanks from freezing. The guy at Four Winds was wrong. If heated holding tanks are listed on your invoice, as they are on mine, we are paying for something that does not exist on our coaches. Good luck with Four Winds. As usual, "buyer beware!!"

Denny

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 2005

As Denny said, my Four Winds 34G has enclosed heated tanks, no heat pads or blankets, the coach furnace heats the bays containing the tanks. So be aware if running supplemental heaters and make sure the coach furnace cycles enough to keep the bays warm.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 2006
My 2007 Dutchman 32B has heated tanks. You can see a furnace duct in
the dump station compartment.

dp

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 2016
Thanks alot guys........got a email back from them stating that they had made a mistake. It is a 34 C so it has a 1 1/2 inch duct running to tanks to keep it warm
runs off furnace and auto thermostat At least I feel better now that I wasn't screwed on something else Yet

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 2017

Sad when the consumer has to tell the manufacturer what they have in their motorhomes. But it isn't only Four Winds. Several years ago I was visiting the Fleetwood plant where Discoveries were being built. I had some issues with my first Discovery, and believe it or not, Fleetwood likely hated me more than Four Winds. As we were touring the plant, the tour guide mentioned the 4-point leveling system. I corrected him, stating that it was a three point system with four levelers. Not wanting to argue in front of 20 other visitors, he quietly went over to the floor supervisor, and asked him for an answer. His answer was the same as the tour guide. Finally, after my continuing to "discuss" the issue in front of the others, a design engineer was called to the floor. The engineer acknowledged that while there were four jacks, it indeed was a three point system, since one hydraulic controlled both front jacks.

Denny

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 2018
Sad when the consumer has to tell the manufacturer what they have in
their motorhomes.

More troublesome are the legions of RV sales people who last month
were selling floor covering or used cars but now represent themselves
as an RV authorities. Bill

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 2019

Good point... and next month they will be building the dang things with NO training.

Denny

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 2021
One of the most "exciting" topics on RV.net when it gets going is 3 jack vs 4 jack systems. Every few months it seems to be the same discussion all over again. Having had 3 fours and one three, we can't say there is a big difference. 4 gives less shake than 3 (but far from shakeless) while 3 can level much quicker - at least based on our experience. We wouldn't object to a 3 or 4.

Your point here, of course, is that the front two are tied together and basically work like a three jack system to help avoid chassis twist.

Don

On 6-Dec-08, at 8:44 AM,

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 2024

Like our economy, the RV industry is "driverless" and will likely derail.

Denny