Skip to main content
Topic: Melted Air Conditioner Cover (Read 517 times) previous topic - next topic

Melted Air Conditioner Cover

Yahoo Message Number: 12659
Second year in a row!
After bringing the unit out of winter storage and after doing annual state emissions safety inspection and oil change I've noticed that the rear AC unit plastic cover is melted.
Not as severe this year, but my short term memory I forgot to pay closer attention to the condition of the unit. Of course the garage claims they're not responsible. The covers are pretty flimsy, I don't think it would take much heat to melt them.
Any of you heard or think it would be possible for the AC unit itselft to have some problem that the motor creates too much heat and melts it? I don't think it could, the motor should have overloads and there is a thicker plastic housing under the decorative cover around the motor and squirrel cage.
I wonder if its possible that the metal storage unit the RV resides in during the winter could get hot enough at the roof level in Utah winter months November to March. Maybe in direct sunlight on the top and south exposure of the storage unit?
I'll have to pay closer attention next year. There goes another $100, at least mine aren't painted.

Re: Melted Air Conditioner Cover

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 12660
The lowest deformation temp of most plastics starts at 200+ deg and goes up from there.

Dave

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 12662
Could fins be blocked on the AC unit. That can cause a lot of heat.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 12663
Have you had your motorhome in yearly for service at the same location? Could a heating system in that location be melting that cover while in for service? Take it from a person who has had two roofs on his motorhome damaged and replaced under factory warranty by Jayco, this can happen from a building heating system!

Larry Myers