Skip to main content
Topic: radio question (Read 462 times) previous topic - next topic

radio question

Yahoo Message Number: 9663
I am about to swap out the crappy magnadyne radio that came in my 06 Seneca for a kenwood nav out my last truck. I have figured out that any dash kit from an 03-07 dash kit will work for the double din.

I read at the diesel place that I may need an adapter to keep the headlight and other chimes working (see below). I am thinking that since the magnadyne is an aftermarket radio that the adapter may already be there.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMRC01/GM-Factory-Integration-Adapter.html?tp=3486&revp=5&ipp=10&revsort=dr#overview-tab

By any chance does anybody that has a Seneca know if there is a headlight chime?

Re: radio question

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 9664
Just installed a Kenwood nav in my 04 chassis Gulfstream with no adaptor and lost the headlight/key chime. Hated that noise anyway, so I'm not sure I'll add the adaptor.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 9665
My MH came with a GM radio. Had to install the chimes adapter that you list. Jayco installed there own radio. Chimes have to be there for headlights and other items. RPO code for "ready for radio" is UXZ. RPO list for your chassis is on headliner above drivers side sun visor. Should already have some kind of adapter built into dash.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 9666
Do you know which wiring harness you used?

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tony Savini
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2012 3:35 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] radio question

Just installed a Kenwood nav in my 04 chassis Gulfstream with no adaptor and lost the headlight/key chime. Hated that noise anyway, so I'm not sure I'll add the adaptor.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 9667
The wiring harness I used was the same one as a chevy express van. Picked it up from my local aftermarket radio installer. I can get a part number for you if you want.
Ron, the chimes are for, headlights left on, keys in ignition and brake booster failure correct? Everything still seems to work fine. Those are the warnings I'm missing if I'm correct.

Tony

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 9668
If you do not have the adapter. Power for the radio has to be picked up on a wire before radio connector. The adapter also provides power to the radio for ignition on. I did a post on this a couple years ago. Had to splice into a wire feeding connector but does not go to radio.
Chimes are a good thing but not necessary. When I bought my latest radio I got the adapter which gave me chimes again.
The chimes missing are the one you listed.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 9669
did you need to remove the fake wood dash cover? How do / would I get that off the dash face to get to the stereo? Seems like its installed with double sided tape?

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

Sent: Friday, August 17, 2012 1:59 PM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] radio question

Do you know which wiring harness you used?

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tony Savini
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2012 3:35 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] radio question

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 9670
Yes the dash cover needs to be removed. On right side of dash. Use a flat thin pry bar to pull bezel out away from dash. It will have to be pried out about 1" before clips that hold it to dash come loose. Then working from right to left pull all the clip loose all the way to left side of dash. You will need to unplug a couple of connectors for item that come out with bezel. Information center under radio and headlight cable are the ones I remember. In order to get easy access to everything you may want to get bezel completely out of the way. That requires adjusting steering wheel tilt and shift lever to get clearance. My dash bezel is painted, no sticky stuff. I have seen some that have double sided tape install. The bezel that this type is attached to still needs to be removed. But extra care has to be taken to not cause damage to stick on parts. Installing bezel is done in reverse of removal. As you install make sure clips line up with holes the clip fit into.
Best
Ron Hall