Skip to main content
Topic: New to the Group and already have a question (Read 531 times) previous topic - next topic

New to the Group and already have a question

Yahoo Message Number: 5023
Hello All-
We've been on the sidelines for a while listening to all of the blogs and enjoying the info! We have a 2007 Kodiak Fourwinds Chateau with bunks and have had a few issues thus far that we've managed to work out (lessons learned let's just say). Now, we are parked in Lincoln, NE after having traveled all the way to Maine from our home in Colorado! A little background: about 6 weeks ago we had an incident where we were traveling through the mountains of Colorado and had the fuel filter light come on (which had happened once before, changed on a different day, no problem) and we figured "we'll change it as soon as we get home" (100 miles). We proceeded up a hill and the power bottomed out. Problem! We pulled over, called our roadside service and had the coach towed (to the tune of $1000) back to town. They said the fuel filter caused the problem, oh, but "the turbo charger sensor is also bad and we need to replace it". Done. So, here we are on a Saturday night in the middle of Nebraska riding along....the check engine light comes on! We immediately pull off to the next exit and since we're not sure it's related to the fuel filter, we change the fuel filter (lesson learned-we carry 6 of them now). We check all fluids, etc. Check engine light still on. We make some calls and ride slowly and carefully to Auto Zone and the read the code for us (we hadn't purchase the Scan Gauge II before we left like we had planned to do). It's a 2563 which indicates a Turbo Sensor problem (thanks for the list!). So, after reading the info from Auto Zone and reading your comments I'm just wondering if it will be safe for me to drive on home to Denver (500 miles) or will it be detrimental? I spoke to a guy at International (the only one open today) and he said if it truly is the sensor then it should be ok. Oh, and of special note: our fuel consumption has been really bad too. He says that is typical when the engine is trying to compensate for an error or "imbalance" in the turbo/power system. We have phoned the GM dealer that did the work in Denver but not sure if we'll get a call back before Monday. Any recommendations?

Chris Rogers
Littleton, CO

Re: New to the Group and already have a question

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 5024
Did Auto Zone reset the CEL?
High fuel usage can be related to Turbo Boost. How many miles on your MH? Have you changed the Air filter? Changed oil in engine?
Driving with a CEL can be a problem. Can also not be a problem.
Hard to advise you what to do. Does the engine have good power?
Having the Scangauge II would have helped with finding the problem and resetting the CEL.
Another item to add to your list of needs is Coach. Net. https://www.coach-net.com/ Little over a $100 a year. But pays for towing and provide technical help when on the road.
Post back with more info. I am sure someone will help with info.
I did a quick check of 2563 on DP. The threads may be of some help with your problem. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/search.php?searchid=9184625
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 5025
Yes, Auto Zone did reset the CEL. We have about 29,000 miles on MH. No loss in power thus far. We did blog and found the good website you suggest. Thank you!

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 5026

Yes.... I hade the same issue, turned out the oil level was low!!! When going up a hill, you will especially notice it when the engine stalls. Add a quart and all will be well. It is a safety switch to protect the engine.

Denny

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 5027
Thanks Denny-
Did you have the same error code? We did top off the oil when we checked all of the fluids but it said it was well within the "safe" level? Let me know.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 5028
When the oil level is to the add mark it will be 2qts low.
Denny

2006 Seneca 35GS Dmax. Ford Ranger toad.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 5029
Also you should know that there is a sensor on the oil pan for low oil level. I had this light come on and would reset it with an engine shut down and restart after verifieing that oild level was where it should be. It turned out to be a dirty connector on the sensor. I cleaned it and applied dielectric grease and have had no other issues with it. I don't think that low oil will cause a limp situation as it didn't with me but maybe after an extended time it may.
Denny

2006 Seneca 35GS Dmax. Ford Ranger toad.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 5030
Attachments :

Thank you all for your kind replies. Well, we made it home to Colorado yesterday safe and sound with no check engine light! Yippee! We are planning to contact the dealer that did the work 6 weeks ago and see if it's related to that in any way. Oh, and sorry we missed the rally in Elkhart (we arrived there one day late not even knowing about the rally because we weren't on this blog site yet). We will follow up just for information sake and let you all know how this turns out.

Chris and Cindi
    Colorado
    2007 Fourwinds Chateau 34H. Chevy Surburban toad.