Skip to main content
Topic: Bigfoot Industries (Read 606 times) previous topic - next topic

Bigfoot Industries

Yahoo Message Number: 2191

I see in FMCA magazine that Big Foot Industries has closed down after 31 years in business. They had employed 200 workers. I am thinking some of these companies are shutting down not so much because of the economy, which obviously is bad right now, but because they no longer have to be warranting their products, which in my opinion have slide to as low as they can get in quality.

It will be interesting to see if some of these companies are "reborn" within a few months under new identities.

Denny

Know Your Numbers: Get tips and tools to help you improve your credit score.

Re: Bigfoot Industries

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2192
Denny, I think repeat biz from existing customers is something that a number of manufacturers count on - and I think Bigfoot may be one such manufacturer. One sure way to shatter that loyalty would be to do what you indicated.

If Bigfoot management does open up "New Bigfoot Industries" I would not be surprised to see that loyalty diminish. On the other hand, looking at postings on the Bigfoot owners board it appears to a group that is as dedicated as any I've seen. There was even a suggestion that members contribute to a Xmas fund for the former warranty manager. It appears they were really pleased with his performance over the years.

There was an auction of remaining RVs this past week. http://www.maynards.com/EN/consumer_products/bigfoot_rv/

Note it states this is a bankruptcy but they are acting on the instructions of the receiver. That, to me (as someone who spent a year with the Superintendent of Bankruptcy) would indicate that there is a secured creditor or the auction would been based on instructions from the trustee (appears to be a dual role here).

Don

On 1-Feb-09, at 10:09 AM,

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 2194
Unfortunate. This was really a quality manufacturer. In RV.org user and staff ratings it had features that made it suitable for "snowbirding" and "fultiming" that you just did not see from other manufacturers based on the Kodiak Chassis.

Moisture handling, sturdiness in construction, window seals, thickness of the walls and framing, and insulation were all superior, and allowed it to serve for harder use.

Quality, Retained Value, and road stability were all excellent, and customer reviews showed it. But you had to pay for it and the ones I looked at were expensive.

My wife complained that the dealership was too far away (> 1000 miles), and we found a good deal via Ebay on a Jayco repo, so I guess maybe I was lucky for listening to her. (Shhhhh!)

Kevin

center
From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2009 10:00 AM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Bigfoot Industries

left

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 2195

Don,

Since the Canadian dollar is devalued about .75 to $1.00 US, how would that work with an auction. Had I purchased at the auction, would I exchange US for Canadian and bid with Canadian, or would the bid be devalued at the time of payment? Just curious.

Denny

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 2196

I agree with the comments concerning the quality of Bigfoot products. The testimony of owners says it all. I guess my point was that we are literally weeks away from the "buying season" for RV's, and the industry is still "reeling" from last years' sales slump. The RV shows apparently have been packed with potential buyers, and with many builders no longer in business, the survivors should do well this season. I see no logical reason for a company like Big Foot to close it's doors. I guess one reason could be the depressed Canadian dollar, if they have to buy many of their parts in the US.

Denny

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 2197
First, you are off on your FX calculation. Rate at the close Friday was .815.

The auction would take place the same way it does in the US - in the currency of the country in which the auction takes place. You would bid in Cdn $ and pay in Cdn $ if you are successful.

Don

On 1-Feb-09, at 2:50 PM,