Skip to main content
Topic: roof maintenance (Read 493 times) previous topic - next topic

roof maintenance

Yahoo Message Number: 2219
My wife and four kids and I have been enjoying our 2007 Four winds Dutchmen 34g
motorhome since we purchased it in 2 yrs ago. It has a rubber roof with no signs of
deteriorization yet. Last year I purchased a roof conditioner from the RV dealer. It is to
be applied in circular motion like waxing a car and removed and then buffed. I only got a
quarter of the way done before giving up. There has to be a better, more efficient way of
maintaining the roof. I live in Utah and we have cold winters and hot summers. In
between summer trips, I keep the RV cover on to protect it from the sun. It is always
covered in the winter. Does anyone have a better way to maintain the roof or is it just a
unnecessary chore I've created for myself?

Thanks,
Eric

Long time reader and firsttime poster

Re: roof maintenance

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2221
Eric,

I have 2007 Four Winds 34h, we live in New Mexico in the mountains at 7300ft. We average 60 inches of snow a year and the sun has made my front clearance lights completely clear. Our first trailer we had for 8 years and didn't do anything to the rubber roof and it was still fine.

The Four Winds has the TPO vinyl roof which is still very similar to the EDPM rubber roof, but seems to chalk less and to cause less black streaks. I check it periodically, but haven't cleaned it yet. I will try to get to it this spring. From what I have found, most roof manufacturers just recommend cleaning. But, you might check Protect All out. It looks much easier.
http://www.protectall.com/rrc_lg.htm.

David