Skip to main content
Topic: LOOSE REAR LADDER (Read 455 times) previous topic - next topic

LOOSE REAR LADDER

Yahoo Message Number: 2259

For those of you that have the rear ladders and can't seem to keep them tight so they won't sag under your weight. On my coach, the ladder has always seemed loose, and as tight as I could tighten the exposed phillips head bolts, it would never snug up against the rear wall.

This morning I discovered there are TWO bolts for each ladder support tube. The exposed bolt, about 3" in length, attaches the ladder to the support tube, and a second, smaller 1.5" bolt that screws into the support via the rear of the backing plate that is screwed to the rear wall. The hidden bolt screws into a compression nut pressed into the tube, and on my ladder, the compression nut has broken, causing the ladder to come loose. I will post photos on Yahoo, but suggest if your ladder is loose, you may want to remove the support tubes and retighten them.

This is definitely a safety issue that I will be also reporting to NHTSA. If you discover broken compression nuts when you tighten your ladders, I would appreciate knowing, along with photos.

Denny

You're invited to Hollywood's biggest party: Get Oscars updates, red carpet pics and more at Moviefone.

REAR LADDER

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2267

A quick update on the rear ladder... I found if you rotate the horizonal arm that holds the ladder to the rear wall, it will tighten without removing bolts. You will have to slightly loosen the bolt head attached to the ladder, but rotating the arm clockwise will tighten it against the rear of the coach. Leather gloves work well for added grip.

Denny

You're invited to Hollywood's biggest party: Get Oscars updates, red carpet pics and more at Moviefone.