Skip to main content
Topic: Towbar (Read 538 times) previous topic - next topic

Towbar

Yahoo Message Number: 11923
Anyone having a Blue Ox towbar might want to make a close inspection - as a just-in-case. Had some issues while on the road - discovered about 2000 miles into our trip. Bought it used - previous owner towed a Saturn (looked nearly new when we got it), we tow a Ranger PU - with our 6340 Endura. You can see in the pics, the holes are wallowed out on each side, the inner concentric circle was made by the bolt head - a fellow at a campground in Fort Nelson, BC, had a couple 3/4" washers that helped (next larger concentric circle), but what I really needed were fender-washers, that I didn't find until Glennallen, AK; The larger circular wear marks are from the two-inch fender washers. (pics 4-5) Also note the marks inside the holes made by the threads on the bolt. Yes folks, the part you're looking at is aluminum - no doubt aircraft-grade, and pretty hard, but nowhere near as hard as the grade-5 bolt going through the holes. Kept my eye on it throughout the rest of the trip - including the rougher parts of the ALCAN, and the "Top-Of-The-World Highway" between Chicken, AK and Dawson City, YT (Dad would have said it's "rougher than a cobb"). The wear seemed to have slowed, and I figured I'd rebuild it when I got to brothers house in western Montana. 5/16" steel, welded up in the same configuration as the aluminum extrusion, new bolt / nut / washers. Added zerk fittings to aluminum cross-block, so there's some lube in there. (Pics 8-9) Yeah, I know it'll accumulate dirt, but I'll be taking it apart every couple trips to clean and inspect it. I usually have no issue with fix / repair / improve on pretty much anything, but I was disappointed by the e-mails I received from Blue Ox in response to my inquiries regarding repair / replacement / improved parts shipment to an address in AK. No repair / replacement parts available (not even the teflon washers), but they were willing to give me a $150 rebate on a new one if I purchased one in Anchorage (and they get the old one). That was pretty lame. So my suggestion to everyone who may have a Blue Ox towbar with a part (yoke) that looks like this one, get out there and take a good look at it - tear it down if you have any question about its integrity. (Saw no wear on the center-pivot hole - and you'll need a deep-well socket and long 1/2" extension to get it out if the yoke is bad - the hidden nut is a "lock" nut and the drawbar is threaded.) Any decent metal fab-shop should be able to weld something together for you if needed - the hardest part is boring the 3/4" holes (3 of 'em). Zerks are old-school - but I put 'em in anyway... Just another peanut-gallery input.

Re: Towbar

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 11924
I have met several RVers recently that have similar problems with the model Blue Ox towbar you have. They replaced with newer models. Older Roadmaster towbar's are seeing similar wear.
For all those towing. Please check and maintain your towbar's.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 11926
Our Alpha tow bar was loose by the time we got to west coast leaving from Florida. Got it tightened back up and continued on trip. When we got to Sioux City South Dakota it was crazy loose again. Called and spoke with Michele at Blue Ox and they said they would overnight me an Aventa LX if I just paid the shipping. Included prepaid box to send back Alpha. Classy move on their part. Much better design and helped with my peace of mind.
BK

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 11933
Good on ya', Bryan! I didn't get to talk with Michele, just the "parts" guy. The new ball-and-socket design looks like a good approach - will be curious to see if anyone has any wear issues with this one. JT

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 11934
When in Quartzite the last two years Blue Ox had a vendor at the big tent and service area out back. I took my tow bar to them as it was a little loose. For twenty bucks they replaced the worn nylons, greased and re torqued the hardware. They pronounced it fit for service. I have had to them service it when I'm at the swap meet a couple of times now. It shows no wear and is tight. It is the Adventa model. (spelling)
Denny

jtbarber@... wrote:

Good on ya', Bryan! I didn't get to talk with Michele, just the "parts" guy. The new ball-and-socket design looks like a good approach - will be curious to see if anyone has any wear issues with this one. JT

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 11935
Correction to the type tow bar I have. It is the Alpha.
Denny

jtbarber@... wrote: