Skip to main content
Topic: Water tank siphon (Read 1031 times) previous topic - next topic

Water tank siphon

Yahoo Message Number: 4826

When I fill my water tank full it starts to siphon out of the overflow tube untill is finally sucks the plastic tank down until the pressure is too great: the result is I lose about 1/3 of my water when I go dry camping. What should I do? Fill and plug the overflow?

Re: Water tank siphon

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 4828
Good question
I have noticed the same, also when I drove on a road that had traffic lights, when coming to a stop I could see water on the ground not sure how much I lost but it should happen anyway.
Good question
Thanks
Mo
Sent on the Now Network� from my Sprint® BlackBerry

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:56:10 -0700
To:
ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Water tank siphon

When I fill my water tank full it starts to siphon out of the overflow tube untill is finally sucks the plastic tank down until the pressure is too great: the result is I lose about 1/3 of my water when I go dry camping. What should I do? Fill and plug the overflow?

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 4829
Will ask the rally attendees for the comments today. Maybe they will know how to stop the siphoning.
Best
Ron Hal

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 4831
how many tubes make up your overflow?

siphon is perhaps the wrong word, to siphon, would mean that one end of the overflow tube is in the tank and below the surface level.

more overflow holes in the top of the tank may stop this vacuum affect.

on my 2010 seneca 36FK, there are three ( http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24124169.cfm )

don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 4832
I agree it is probably an over flow
I got 3 tubes
When I fill up the tank water comes off from only one of them, do not know when I drive what happens
Tks

Sent on the Now Network� from my Sprint® BlackBerry

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 14:49:10 -0000
To:
ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Water tank siphon

siphon is perhaps the wrong word, to siphon, would mean that one end of the overflow tube is in the tank and below the surface level.

more overflow holes in the top of the tank may stop this vacuum affect.

on my 2010 seneca 36FK, there are three ( http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24124169.cfm )

don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 4833
.....and when it siphons it implodes the plastic tank.

Sent: 15 July, 2010 8:03 AM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Water tank siphon

I got 3 tubes
When I fill up the tank water comes off from only one of them, do not know when I drive what happens
Tks

Sent on the Now Network from my Sprint® BlackBerry

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com
To:
ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClass C] Re: Water tank siphon

more overflow holes in the top of

[The entire original message is not included]

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 4834
Is there a schematic available for the tank/overflow?
The effects of braking/turning/accelerating may be pushing the water around hard enough to cause the siphon effect--creating G-forces-- in different directions that may not have been considered during the design of the water tank & overflow tube by the manufacturer, can't say that for sure.
Todd

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of VVBurns
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2010 4:13 PM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Water tank siphon

.....and when it siphons it implodes the plastic tank.

Sent: 15 July, 2010 8:03 AM
To: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClass C] Re: Water tank siphon

I got 3 tubes
Tks

Sent on the Now Network from my Sprint® BlackBerry

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com
To:
ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com

more overflow holes in the top of

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 4835
No answer on the siphon effect here at the rally. Will bring it up again today at one of our little seminars.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 4839
I thought I was the only one that had this problem. I go to a weeklong desert festival each summer and really want every last drop of water I can get. Thanks for any answers.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ronjhallsr
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2010 3:08 AM

No answer on the siphon effect here at the rally. Will bring it up again today at one of our little seminars.
Best
Ron Hall

--- In , VVBurns  wrote:
When I fill my water tank full it starts to siphon out of the overflow
tube untill is finally sucks the plastic tank down until the pressure is too great: the result is I lose about 1/3 of my water when I go dry camping. What should I do? Fill and plug the overflow?

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 4840
Ian . . .

I haven't had this predicament with my Seneca, because I never fill the tank more than 2/3. However, I am familiar with the problem. Previously, I did technical writing and editing for another RV club. Members wrote in with similar issues. The problem mostly stemmed from a couple design issues: the first was that the water tank tended to expand and "balloon out" when filled to capacity. To make matters worse, when off level, the shallow tanks also tended to trap a cushion of air--all this made the siphon effect worse.

The only two "fixes" I recall were to not fill the tank all the way, or to alter the siphoning drain line(s). Some people routed the drain about a foot above the tank, then put in a "T" fitting. One side went down to drain the tank as before. The other side went up as high as possible and was open to the air (although anti-siphon valves can be purchased). This made continuous siphoning impossible.

George (wishing I could have made it to the rally too)

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 4841
I am either adding a valve on the overflow or changing it routing up

Sent: 16 July, 2010 7:56 AM

I thought I was the only one that had this problem. I go to a weeklong desert festival each summer and really want every last drop of water I can get. Thanks for any answers.

From: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com [mailto:KodiakChass isClassC@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of ronjhallsr
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2010 3:08 AM

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 4842
I have 35 Dutchmen has 2 over flows out of tank had same problem. added 2 3/8 ball valves and shut them off when traveling, get to camp spot then turn them on. This will stop them from running all the water out, been there done that, only once. Just don,t forget to open when your camped you might suck in your tank.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 4857
Our Jayco would keep sloshing water out the overflow tubes for hours. By the time we reached our destination we were often down to about 2/3 or perhaps less. Made me miss the old water inlet tube on the side of the RV. I attributed it to the fact that we are almost always heading into the mountains and driving uphill all day. I assumed it was not a widespread issue for others, but maybe it was some sort of a siphon effect. Re-routing the overflow tubes up above the tank seems to have stopped the problem. Not an elegant solution, I guess, but easy and it worked.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 4859
Where are the overflow tubes? Any chance of you posting a picture?

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of JohnD
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 1:29 PM

Our Jayco would keep sloshing water out the overflow tubes for hours. By the time we reached our destination we were often down to about 2/3 or perhaps less. Made me miss the old water inlet tube on the side of the RV. I attributed it to the fact that we are almost always heading into the mountains and driving uphill all day. I assumed it was not a widespread issue for others, but maybe it was some sort of a siphon effect. Re-routing the overflow tubes up above the tank seems to have stopped the problem. Not an elegant solution, I guess, but easy and it worked.

--- In , VVBurns  wrote:
When I fill my water tank full it starts to siphon out of the overflow
tube untill is finally sucks the plastic tank down until the pressure is too great: the result is I lose about 1/3 of my water when I go dry camping. What should I do? Fill and plug the overflow?

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 4862
Mine is on top front drivers corner. I am sure the mode is that the water starts out the tube and sucks the tank in imploring it. I cannont fathom sloshing that much water out of the tiny tube

Sent: 19 July, 2010 3:18 PM

From: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com [mailto:KodiakChass isClassC@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of JohnD

--- In KodiakChassisClassC%40

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 4863
Thanks! I am not at my RV right now but don't those 3 hoses look the same size?

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 5:24 PM

Ian,

thers a picture of the overflow on our 2010 36FK here http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24124169.cfm

i would think yours is the same.

don

--- In , Ian Eisenberg  wrote:

[mailto:] On Behalf Of JohnD

To:

Our Jayco would keep sloshing water out the overflow tubes for hours. By
the time we reached our destination we were often down to about 2/3 or perhaps less. Made me miss the old water inlet tube on the side of the RV. I attributed it to the fact that we are almost always heading into the mountains and driving uphill all day. I assumed it was not a widespread issue for others, but maybe it was some sort of a siphon effect. Re-routing the overflow tubes up above the tank seems to have stopped the problem. Not an elegant solution, I guess, but easy and it worked.
--- In ,
VVBurns  wrote:
When I fill my water tank full it starts to siphon out of the
overflow tube untill is finally sucks the plastic tank down until the pressure is too great: the result is I lose about 1/3 of my water when I go dry camping. What should I do? Fill and plug the overflow?

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 4866
It would be interesting to calculate what % downhill slope starts water flowing out the tube--4%, 6%, 8%, more%?, etc.
Given the front top drivers corner location, braking sounds like a possible trigger as well, as the water would slosh forward.
Lots of our Colorado mountain trips to higher elevation destinations have uphill & downhill elements until we reach the campsite, as well as lots of braking for corners, but I typically go about 5-10 mph under posted speed limits around curves.
I could see the combination of braking with a downhill road putting creating enough water pressure on the overflow tube to push water out at a good clip.
Best idea I've seen suggested was posted by George yesterday with the combo valve/"tee" for draining with an extension added upwards for overflow---until it's redesigned.
Todd

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of VVBurns
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 6:33 PM

Mine is on top front drivers corner. I am sure the mode is that the water starts out the tube and sucks the tank in imploring it. I cannont fathom sloshing that much water out of the tiny tube

Sent: 19 July, 2010 3:18 PM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClass C] Re: Water tank siphon

From: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com [mailto:KodiakChass isClassC@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of JohnD

--- In KodiakChassisClassC%40