Skip to main content
Topic: Overheating? (Read 584 times) previous topic - next topic

Overheating?

Yahoo Message Number: 4882

It seems my moho temp never rises much no matter what. While climbing out of Los Angeles N on I5 my temp gauge went into the red so I pulled over about then the engine controls took over reduced power then shut down the engine. (note to everyone...if you get a light on the dash - GET OFF THE HIGHWAY IMMEDIATELY OR YOU WILL BE STRANDED IN TRAFFIC-

I let it cool for about 20-30 mins starting it to recirculate the coolant and finished my days drive. I did notice
The temp gauge would move around more than I remember.

Air temp was 100+, grade severe, I had stopped at the beginning id the grade for some fast food then took off again towing my 2300# car.

Ideas for a partial failure mode here? 2007 engine. Running fine.

Re: Overheating?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 4883
Gosh, we may have seen you.  We were headed north to the Grapevine yesterday morning.  We were towing our Jeep (4800 lbs). We were on I5 from San Diego to Santa Nella.  We hit the climb around noon. It was HOT. We peaked at 230° which is where I shut the air conditioner off.  I shut off O/D, did the lane next to the truck lane, and set cruise at 45.  So we were right under the red line and had no lights or warnings. The Seneca we saw was moving South.
Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

center
From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of VVBurns
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:54 AM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Overheating?

It seems my moho temp never rises much no matter what. While climbing out of Los Angeles N on I5 my temp gauge went into the red so I pulled over about then the engine controls took over reduced power then shut down the engine. (note to everyone...if you get a light on the dash - GET OFF THE HIGHWAY IMMEDIATELY OR YOU WILL BE STRANDED IN TRAFFIC-

I let it cool for about 20-30 mins starting it to recirculate the coolant and finished my days drive. I did notice

Air temp was 100+, grade severe, I had stopped at the beginning id the grade for some fast food then took off again towing my 2300# car.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 4884
I don't know if this will help in this case. But, with a ScanGuage, you can clear any engine codes while driving.

I has to do this when our exhaust bracket broke. A couple of times going up grade then engine gave an error code and I had to reset it to get power back.

David

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 4886
Fan clutch failure. Obscure part..several days shipping. I will be fine to my destination and have the part shipped two-day and replaced Monday on my way back. Will not survive stop and go or big climbs so O cannot get home for repair.

NO warranty coverage as its not the engine.....so 4 hrs labor $385 parts + shipping for about $850.. I will call Good Sam CSP as I think that will cover some or all.

Sent: 21 July, 2010 9:53 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Overheating?

|  | http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxbjE4dHAyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwMzY3NDYyBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTEyNjE4NQRtc2dJZAM0ODg

[The entire original message is not included]

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 4895
One of the Rally attendees had a fan explode. Got his ESP to cover much of his cost.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 4911
We were behind you heading North too. On my last short leg, running cool on at highway speeds: that monster fan almost never turns on anyway.......

Sent: 21 July, 2010 10:12 AM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Overheating?

Gosh, we may have seen you. We were headed north to the Grapevine yesterday morning. We were towing our Jeep (4800 lbs). We were on I5 from San Diego to Santa Nella. We hit the climb around noon. It was HOT. We peaked at 230° which is where I shut the air conditioner off. I shut off O/D, did the lane next to the truck lane, and set cruise at 45. So we were right under the red line and had no lights or warnings. The Seneca we saw was moving South.
Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

center

[The entire original message is not included]