Skip to main content
Topic: leak in slideout hydraulic connection (Read 637 times) previous topic - next topic

leak in slideout hydraulic connection

Yahoo Message Number: 8265
Hello everyone,
I have a 06 gulf stream conquest super c. This rig and class c's are new to me, I've had the super-c only about 7 weeks. I noticed yesterday when I was trying to understand the levelers that I had a small puddle of hydraulic fliud under the living room slide out. At this point I noticed that the reservoir was very low. so I topped off the reservoir and retracted all the levelers while watching underneath.

The leak seems to be at the point where the hose attaches to the slide out ram. it didn't leak when the levelers were retracting. And I learned that you need to fill the reservoir when everthing is in. It filled a bit more than the full level.

Anyone know about leaks of this type ? easy fix ? It seemed to be a real bear to get a wrench in that space, at least for the ram portion.

Thanks for any help.

Re: leak in slideout hydraulic connection

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8266
I don't (yet) have experience with the hydraulics on motor homes but I have quite a bit of experience with hydraulics on heavy equipment and in industry. It is important to know if the leak is in the hose, the fittings, or the cylinder itself. You should be able to see when the system is under pressure. You need to be careful because that may mean you are under the truck. Also, don't get the fluid in your eyes. If the leak is in the hose or a hose fitting and you can get the hose off, that can be a relatively easy fix. There "houses of hose" everywhere. You just take in the old hose and have them make a new one. The same can be true if it is the fittings on the hose that are leaking. If the leak is in the cylinder, I think you have a bigger problem. Then you get into the question of whether the seal has been damaged or the cylinder has been scored. It don't envy you if the cylinder is leaking.

Upon reassembly you have to bleed the air out of the system. This can be a challenge depending on the plumbing. Looking at mine, I am sure bleeding my system would be a two-man job.

Let us know what you find out. I for one am curious as to how it turns out.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8271
Very recently a member had a leak on one of his jacks. The line had a rub through. GS had a lot of extra hose in the system. Problem was that fittings were 1/8". Most hydraulic places do not have that size fitting. Not sure if same size fitting are used on the slide. I will give a look later today and see if I can give you any information.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8274
Check the hose and fittings on my MH's slides. Hoses and fittings appear to be same as used on Jacks.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8376
So last trip out I crawled under the slide out and watched as it came out. No leak ? just had a few drops on the knuckle that I wiped off before haveing DW hit the switch. So maybe it just had some dirt or the seal was dry ? Don't know I will have to keep a eye on it.
thanks for the replies.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8382
That is great news. I love it when a problem fixes itself. Perhaps the system hadn't been used much. It seems that many things mechanical need to be "exercised" regularly "to stay in shape."

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8384
It hasn't been used much. it's an 06 that I bought with 6900 miles on it ! The Genny had 7 hrs.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 8387
I recently learned that the gennie hours can be wrong. We disconnect the chassis battery and the house batteries when it is parked and not used. This past summer when we took it out of storage to go to Ludington for a week the meter for the gennie was back to ZERO. I didn't have many hours on it - it is now at 6, but had it been 800, they'd all be "gone."

Yesterday I had a scare. Our MH is in our storage yard at our park in FLA. I decided to exercise the gennie and the AC yesterday as it was 80 degrees (and the women had a bazaar so it was someplace for me to hide with my iPad). Checked all batteries with my multimeter before connecting. Chassis 12.69 and house 13.02 - so I was happy. Gennie started fairly quickly (not run for almost 2 months). Then tried to turn on the AC. No luck at all. I checked everything I could think of. Level of annoyance was building $$$$. Suddenly a light when on and a genie popped out of a bottle and into my head. "You don't have a transfer switch he said." Out I went and looked in the compartment and sure enough, I'd not plugged the power cord into the gennie outlet when I disconnected from shore power. Plugged into the receptacle, tried the AC and it worked - and I felt instant relief.

Don

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8401
Sounds great. Perhaps with more use it won't be a problem. We can always hope.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 8423
A strange update, the fluid leaks when the rig isn't being used. Found a puddle of hydraulic fluid this morning. seems like it only leaks when resting ? any ideas ?
Thanks

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 8424
Is slide in or out? Where is leak?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 8425
Hey ron,
Slide out is in, rig is just sitting in front of my house.
Looks like it's coming from the connection at the end of the ram for the slide out. it didn't leak the last time I put the slide out when I was under there watching. It had been sitting for a few days so I don't know why it would leak out now ?
Thanks Ron
Bruce

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 8565
Follow-up, dropped off at the RV shop.
They will replace the ram, should be aroun $850 installed.
hope to have it back next week.

Thanks to all for your help.
Bruce

Follow-up - leak in slideout hydraulic connection

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 8759
Hi All,
Thought I would post a follow up to this problem. The dealer said I neeed a new RAM for the living room slide out. Then over the course of a week or so went back and forth with the supplier over what size it was etc. So they sent a replacement but the bolts on the end were not a direct fit.

The dealer said they don't make the exact ram any longer ! I thought this was odd given it's only 5 years old. They had to do some 'fabricating' to get the ram sent to work on the rig.

So 7 hours of labor later I now have a slide out that doesn't leak.
Thanks
Bruce

Re: Follow-up - leak in slideout hydraulic connection

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 8760
Hello All, Don't you all know Hydraulic Rams are rebuildable at about 30% of the cost of new ram. Hydraulic Rams can be rebuilt very easy, A doit yourself project. John, 2005 GS Kodiak 5500 Diesel

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 16:51:01 +0000
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Follow-up - leak in slideout hydraulic connection

Hi All,
Thought I would post a follow up to this problem. The dealer said I neeed a new RAM for the living room slide out. Then over the course of a week or so went back and forth with the supplier over what size it was etc. So they sent a replacement but the bolts on the end were not a direct fit.

The dealer said they don't make the exact ram any longer ! I thought this was odd given it's only 5 years old. They had to do some 'fabricating' to get the ram sent to work on the rig.

So 7 hours of labor later I now have a slide out that doesn't leak.
Thanks
Bruce

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 8761
Attachments :

A good reminder John. As I remember from a visit to a website a while ago that had the kits, as long as the cylinder is not scored, it should be rebuildable. Sound right?
    Greg
    MN

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of john boden
    Sent: Monday, March 26, 2012 3:20 PM
    To: kodiakchassisclassc@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Follow-up - leak in slideout hydraulic connection

Hello All, Don't you all know Hydraulic Rams are rebuildable at about 30% of the cost of new ram. Hydraulic Rams can be rebuilt very easy, A doit yourself project. John, 2005 GS Kodiak 5500 Diesel

> To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com

Reply #16
    Yahoo Message Number: 8762
    HHuummm I asked the dealer that exact question. They said well if it was a HKW ( probably have the brand wrong ) then they would trust it being rebuild. But because this wasn't that brand they didn't know anyone that would do it.
    nice to know, I guess I should have kept the old parts too...
    still learning
    Thanks
    Bruce