Skip to main content
Topic: Jack not retracting completely. (Read 738 times) previous topic - next topic

Jack not retracting completely.

Yahoo Message Number: 13186
Has anyone had one of their jacks only retract part way and then stop? The other 3 jacks retract completely and this jack starts to retract then stalls. If we "help" the offending jack past the stall spot it retracts completely. Camping World wanted $280 to look at it. Was wondering if anyone else has had the problem. Dave and Gail 09 Jayco Seneca HD 35 GS 11 Jeep Wrangler Sport NW Washington

Re: Jack not retracting completely.

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 13187
Sound like you may have a bent jack shaft. Try turning shaft when jack is about 1/2 way down. If it still sticks you may have to replace jack.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 13188
Have you sprayed the cylinders with silicone? They recommend that be done several times a year.

Dave

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 13193
That I don't know since I have mechanical not hydraulic slides.

Dave

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 13196
Well, that stall spot makes me nervous, and Ron may be correct. Follow his suggestion, but also you may want to try:

If you have been camping in dusty or dirty environments you may want to do a crawl around and clean all the jacks with a shop cloth with a bit of ATF fluid on it, or silicon spray and then wipe the jack down. Seems like I have seen something like this after desert dust storm. Now I do a preemptive clean if I find myself in those conditions.

Also check the spring does not have any debris in it.

Not a problem right now, but sluggish in the cold - switch to Mercon V as the "Hydraulic Fluid" and that really helps when you have to pull your jacks up in the teens. When was the last time you flushed your Hydraulic Fluid?

Regards...

Kevin / @KF5FUZ
Jayco Seneca 34 SS 2006 - aka Rosco Ventura
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007 - aka The Toad

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 13197
My unit is 2005 GS 6340.  Essentially it is 10 years old.  I bought it two years ago.  I assume that the hydraulic fluid has never been changed.  What symptoms, if any, would I see if it is bad or going bad.

As always thanks for your time and advice

Doug

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 13198
Bad oil can cause sluggish jacks and slides. Can also cause sticky valves. I replaced mine last February. Purchased 3 gallons of Dexron II (12 quarts) from Sams Club. With slides and Jack in retracted position. I sucked oil out of reservoir tank. Then filled with new oil. I then cycled slides in and out a couple of times. Did the same with jacks. Going full stroke a couple of times. Retracted the slides and jacks. Sucked all the oil out again. Refilled reservoir tank with fresh oil. Cycled slides and jacks again. Slide and jacks are working better. I plan on doing one more exchange of oil next winter.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 13203

Take it to a hydraulic service place. They know their shit comparred to CW.
Victor Burns
KI6IM
Jayco Embark TB390
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 13204
I had 1 quart left after doing this project of the 12 quarts bought. May have spilled some while filling reservoir.
Best
Ron Hall