Skip to main content
Topic: Camping World (Read 397 times) previous topic - next topic

Camping World

Yahoo Message Number: 5115
Hello all, hope everyone has enjoyed a bit of the summer in their Kodiak class C. I am wondering if it is just me or has Camping World gone a little downhill? We do not get by them that often and it has been a few years since we stopped by one, but with the old motorhome we were, it seems, always driving by them. Now everyone knows its a sin to just drive by without stopping and stretching your legs. With the old unit we were always getting something out of there.
So this year I had my wish list in hand as we departed for vacation, knowing that we would be passing by at least 2 of them. Really need a new bed as the factory Seneca bed is not very good and getting worse. After reading comments from a few here,I was thinking about picking one up there. Also the wife would like a built-in vacuum system which they also sell. The other big ticket item I was looking at was a built in surge protector. There was a few other items I could grab while I was there, somewhere in the $1200.00 total range. The only real questions I have are reguarding the mattress as there are 2 one is a euro top and the other looks to be a regular mattress.
Store number one:
The only bed on display is one of those sleep number beds. Lots of potential customers, 4 guys out on the floor, its possible I picked the wrong guy to talk to. He doesn`t know what the difference is besides one is a euro top and one isn`t,(WOW I guess he did not know that I also can read a box) doesn`t know how tall it gets and can`t be bothered to look it up. However he has personnaly sold hundereds of them and none have ever come back. Do I "want one or what?" STRIKE ONE You will never guess what I did next.
Store number two:
Walk in, there is myself and five other people, there are two cashiers and three guys walking the floor. Now I`ve had a chance to look these things up on the net and know how tall they get. Look around no floor model but I do find a little sample of the regular looking mattress but nothing on the euro top. So I look for a sales guy to see if they have a small euro top one somewhere. Somehow the store has filled up while I was looking at the mattress section, there is about thirty people in the store the cashiers are busy and I can`t find one of the three guys I saw walking the floor when I walked in. After 20 minutes of finding no one to help me, have you guessed what I did next? STRIKE TWO
Store number three:
Looks promising walk in and the is two floor models one is the sleep number bed the other is the euro top. Have a look around and this store has about twenty potential customers wandering around. I`ve made the decision that the regular mattress is the way I`m going to go. So I look around and there are two employee`s in this whole place one is the service writer who has no idea of what is in the parts store, the other is the cashier who is way too busy to help anyone out. But if I don`t mind waiting till he has looked after everyone else he`ll give me a hand. So i take a look and make sure they have everything else I want and wait. Well they just keep coming in and this guy can`t get away from the till. I look at my watch and discover I`ve been here an hour. STRIKE THREE
Now these items I will buy off of ebay with the exception of the mattress. There is a local upholstery shop that builds RV mattresses but they are not cheap, but they are more than happy to talk to you and build you a bed based on what you want so i suppose its worth the extra money.
It just seems odd to me that Camping World has all kinds of money to give to Nascar and yet doesn`t have enough to hire a couple people that give a d@#n about customer service? Just wondering if it was just me or are some of you having the same experience with them? Sorry for the long winded rant
later brad

Re: Camping World

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 5116
Kind of the same going on at many CW. Last week we were at a Campground that is less than 1 mile from a CW. Getting info from someone on the floor is difficult. But they did have all the shelves stocked. Prices displayed did not match latest curricular. All my items were properly priced at the register.
There is one good CW that we use in Mesa, AZ. It is not listed on CW store site. Store is small and shelves only have a couple of each item. But the sales people are good and going to the parts counter will get the same response as floor people. I bought my Endura from this store before CW bought it from Earnhardt. The service department is still run like it was Earnhardt.
We have a RV store very close to us. They have many of the same items on the self as CW. But prices are higher. Some of the floor people are very good. But others have no clue what is on the shelves. Wish we had a CW closer.
We have a Sleep Number in our house. Love it. The bed in our Endura is very good. I have back problems and need a good bed. Looked at a Sleep Number for the MH. Got a coupon in the mail that made the price less than CW price. Check out their site. Look for coupons on the internet. Should be able to beat CW price. Be aware that as you climb altitude with your MH. The air type beds will expand. Recommended that pressure be dropped in bed before climbing mountains.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 5117

I had issues finding a "sale" item at 3 different stores the week after the add came out, including the main store in Bowling Green (Bowling Green, Nashville, and Alabama). I made a comment that CW was going to h..l and the employee there agreed with me. I am also finding that pricing has increased and many things are available as cheap or cheaper elsewhere.

They have closed numerous stores as well including the ones in South Bend and Bollingbrook IL. Rumour has it that the, Infinity Group is trouble all the way around.

Dave Sparke

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 5118
I have noticed that the ones located in Texas near our home are not that bad, but there prices and selection you can do better by buying over the internet at some of the other Motorhome suppliers. In all of the motorhomes we have owned (including our current Kodiak), we put 3" mattress toppers on our beds. It makes a noticeable difference and is as comfortable as the bed in our home - I sleep the best when we are camping. The benefit is that the price is reasonable (around $150 at Costco), I don't have to buy it at CW, and I can change it our more frequently than a mattress if it should wear out.
Peter

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, August 18, 2010 6:42:59 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Camping World

I had issues finding a "sale" item at 3 different stores the week after the add came out, including the main store in Bowling Green (Bowling Green, Nashville, and Alabama). I made a comment that CW was going to h..l and the employee there agreed with me. I am also finding that pricing has increased and many things are available as cheap or cheaper elsewhere.

They have closed numerous stores as well including the ones in South Bend and Bollingbrook IL. Rumour has it that the, Infinity Group is trouble all the way around.

Dave Sparke