Skip to main content
Topic: Dry Batteries (Read 978 times) previous topic - next topic

Dry Batteries

Yahoo Message Number: 15682
I purchased new Interstate coach batteries last year and have had to refill with water 3 times this year. I did so in Sept and only drove it about 100 miles since and found them down cup and half this afternoon. Anyone with ideals on why the water loss?

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Re: Dry Batteries

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 15683
how are you charging them... That's usually the culprit unless the batteries leak.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 15684
Check the voltage at the battery while rv is charging them. If it's over 13.5 volts, you have a voltage regulator problem. High voltage will boil off water.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 15686
Keeping MH plugged in at all times requires a multistage converter. I have driven my MH on 2000 plus mile trips with no problems with water level in batteries. But leave it plugged in for a month and battery level will be down. I have a Gulf Stream Endura. It cam from factory with a single stage converter. It is a Progressive Dynamics 9160. To get multistage it needs a pendent installed. Jayco's came with the pendent.
As already stated 13.5 volts will boil the water away. For constant connection to shore power it should drop to 13.2 to stop water from boiling away.
One of the new batteries may be bad. Disconnect both batteries and let set for a hour. They should both have close to same voltage after that time. A difference of 1.5 volts will indicate one battery is bad.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 15687
Ron - is this what you used for a pendant? Once again, I have learned something from you and this group.....

http://www.progressivedyn.com/charge_wizard_9105.html

Charge Wizard PD9105 RV Battery Chargers - Progressive Dyn
www.progressivedyn.com
Progressive Dynamics Charge Wizard PD9105 is available as a pendant for easy field upgrade. The Charge Wizard constantly monitors RV battery voltage.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 15688
Yes that's the one for 9100 series converter. 9200 series have the multistage built in. There is a pendent for that allows changing of voltages.
I have a new pendent here someplace. Will look for it later.
I have changed my converter to a Boondocker. Not because I did not like the PD. But because it was cheaper and I got PD wet while changing piping on water heater.
.http://www.bestconverter.com/Boondocker-Converters-_c_154.html
Power Max on Amazon is also a good product.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 15689
Thanks Ron. This is a 2008 Jayco Seneca BUT the converter was replaced by local dealer couple years ago so I'll check that out. Hopefully it'll warm up here in few hours and I can get to work on these suggestions.....32 degrees....need to be in FL or TX 😁

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 15691
The way the batts are wired also will cause one or both to use water. The pos wire should go to one and the neg to the other end of the line with all batts or as many batts as you have wired in parralel. Its called balance charging. All will charge at the same rate.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 15693
I did not find the new pendent. Must be at home. I got of the pendents for free. When I get home in spring I will post again. First to respond can have one. There will be no cost. The used one can be sent after Christmas. Anyone want it?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 15695
Jay
Send you address to my email. ronjhall@...
Best
Ron Hall