Skip to main content
Topic: Driving lights (Read 449 times) previous topic - next topic

Driving lights

Yahoo Message Number: 6808
Looking to add some quality (re: bright) driving lamps in the front bumper holes. Thought GM might have made a custom set to fit in there but haven't found any.

Bob in Billerica, MA
09 Road Warrior RWS3400

Re: Driving lights

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 6815
I have tow hooks in those holes. If you ever get stuck you will be glad that they are in there. Not any good places to hook a tow truck on front of chassis.
Others have done headlight upgrades to give better lighting. I did a headlight alignment and install of Sylvania SilverStars.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 6817
Ron,
Do you have Silverstar's for both high and low beam? I assume you do. I picked up the low beam's at O'Rielly last week for $20/ea but the high beams are non-stock and they have to order them in. I thought it was odd that they only stock low beams and thought maybe the high side wasn't as popular of an upgrade.
Greg
MN

I have tow hooks in those holes. If you ever get stuck you will be glad that they are in there. Not any good places to hook a tow truck on front of chassis.
Others have done headlight upgrades to give better lighting. I did a headlight alignment and install of Sylvania SilverStars.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 6820
I have SilverStars in the outer/low beam locations. They are H4656ST. High and low beams. For reference the inner high beam bulbs are H4651ST.
Before buying bulbs try aligning headlights. I have tried several ways of alignment. Best I have found is to put a car/SUV headlights 25' from a garage door. Using masking tape, mark location of the low and high beams. Then put your C5500 in the same location as the car/SUV headlights. Align C5500 headlights to the tape marks put on garage door. The C5500 headlights will be a little wider than the car SUV headlights. Best to do this on a level driveway. I cheated a little and set the C5500 a little higher than the car I used.
When our chassis were built. Headlights were aligned with no weight on frame. Then RV manufacturer built MH on it. Headlights are now aimed up into the sky.
The SilverStars will help even more.

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 6821
Great - thanks. Now the challenge will be to find a fairly flat spot 60' long with something at the end to mark the light locations on. Maybe on our next agility trip to North Dakota - should be able to find 50 miles of flat up there.
Greg
MN

>Best I have found is to put a car/SUV headlights 25' from a garage door.

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 6824
Pretty much what my alignment system does. Both of them require a flat area. Some times hard to find.
One of the original printed ones that I used was a large piece of card board clamped to a couple of step ladders.
Best
Ron Hall