Skip to main content
Topic: Brake alarm (again) (Read 552 times) previous topic - next topic

Brake alarm (again)

Yahoo Message Number: 9714
Hey gang,
I had the infamous brake warning light and chime problem a couple of years ago, dealer replaced the brake light switch on the pedal to correct. I have read the many threads about this problem.
Well, I had the problem arise again. So I ordered the AC Delco part myself, and just finished replacing it. The alarm came back on immediately open starting it up. Did I miss a step? Is there a code that needs to be cleared? Do I need to drive it a bit to reset? Or am I just going to have to take it to the dealer to see if there is another problem? Bad timing, leaving on a trip Thurday night.

Thanks,
Bill

Re: Brake alarm (again)

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 9715
FYI, the part number I bought (through Rock Auto) was D891A 15128874, which said it was the part to replace #25771554.

fixed (I think)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 9717
I think the problem is cured. Just needed to drive it. Chime went off before I hit my first stop.
Now I just home it doesn't rear it's ugly head during my 7 hour trip to Mesquite, NV this week.
Thanks,
Bill

Re: fixed (I think)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 9718
Good Luck!

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bill
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2012 4:13 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] fixed (I think)

I think the problem is cured. Just needed to drive it. Chime went off before I hit my first stop.
Now I just home it doesn't rear it's ugly head during my 7 hour trip to Mesquite, NV this week.
Thanks,
Bill

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 9719
Just in case I would do the following.

1) Park your RV on a flat surface. Level if necessary.
2) Carefully clean the top of the Break fluid reservoir. It is generally a cream colored reservoir with two caps.
3) Remove one of the caps and check that the Break Fluid is close to the fill indicator. Generally just below the rim of the cap opening. If not add fluid - this can also cause that alarm.

You may also want to look at the color of the fluid as it can be drained if needed.

Kevin

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 9720
There are several things that can cause the Chime going off. Add the flow switch under master cylinder also.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 9723
Thanks Ron.
I remember reading this once before. Is this a common enough problem that one should carry a spare switch with them?

Thanks,
Bill

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 9724
Thanks Kevin.
I did check the fluid level when the alarm first went off. But I will definitely check it again before I leave.

Thanks,
Bill

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 9726
After I replaced my switch I had the same situation, drove it a short distance and then the chiming stopped.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 9732
Do you have a brake controller hooked up to your MH?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 9733
No, not yet.
I am familiar with the Upfitters document on how it needs to be hooked up, thanks to you. Hope to be adding one in the near future.

Thanks,
Bill