Skip to main content
Topic: Holding tank location? (Read 448 times) previous topic - next topic

Holding tank location?

Yahoo Message Number: 10338
I have a 2007 Jayco Seneca and we had to make a trip to MN. It appears that our gray water tank will not drain, even though I have some heaters underneath where the drain valves are along with the fresh water tank. I'm not exactly sure where the holding tanks are located.

Thanks, Matt

Re: Holding tank location?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10339
That tank is located over the axle. You have to lift the fender skirt on the driver's side (2 screws) and then remove the sheet metal over the tire (about a dozen screws).

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ripples55391
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2012 12:36 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Holding tank location?

I have a 2007 Jayco Seneca and we had to make a trip to MN. It appears that our gray water tank will not drain, even though I have some heaters underneath where the drain valves are along with the fresh water tank. I'm not exactly sure where the holding tanks are located.

Thanks, Matt

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10341
Thanks. Before I do that, is there room under there for a small heater that can stay there? Or any other recommendations on keeping that warm?

Thanks, Matt

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10342
I don't think so. We were in Denver last year when the temp was down to 17 and I only had a 100 watt light bulb in the utility compartment with no issues. If you have heaters in the utility compartment it should be getting over to the grey tank. there is no wall, that I can remember, separating the two tanks. You may want to look into one of the small tank heater pads you might be able to get that on the tank.

I am really surprised that it would freeze. How cold did it get?

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ripples55391
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2012 3:02 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Holding tank location?

Thanks. Before I do that, is there room under there for a small heater that can stay there? Or any other recommendations on keeping that warm?

Thanks, Matt

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10343
I have a wall between the black tank, and the gray tank. My black tank is directly above the propane fill in the main control compartment, just on the passenger side.

I did see that the gray drain pipe goes through a hole to above the axle. It's been in the low single digits the last several days.

I dumped about a gallon and a half of antifreeze in the shower drain. It appears that is freeing it up, but I need to do something for the trip home. Did you have anything heating it while driving? I've also thought about poking some holes in the furnace vent tubes.

Matt

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10344
I just couldn't remember the wall between the tanks. Which unit do you have? 34,35,36? No, I have never run the furnace since we bought the unit in 08. Just rely on electric heaters in the coach and the engine heat when we're driving. Of course I have never been out in "single digit temps".

Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2012 3:37 PM

I have a wall between the black tank, and the gray tank. My black tank is directly above the propane fill in the main control compartment, just on the passenger side.

I did see that the gray drain pipe goes through a hole to above the axle. It's been in the low single digits the last several days.

I dumped about a gallon and a half of antifreeze in the shower drain. It appears that is freeing it up, but I need to do something for the trip home. Did you have anything heating it while driving? I've also thought about poking some holes in the furnace vent tubes.

Matt

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 10345
I have a 35gs. Uggg, just pulled off that tin thing in the wheel well, no insulation whatsoever. I do see the tank though. :). There is a small hole that goes to the main plumbing compartment, but you probably couldn't fit a tennis ball through it. Not sure yet if a small heater or a hole in the furnace tubes would work best

Matt

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 10346
We have the 35 as well. That is why I thought maybe a tank heater pad might be your best bet along with some insulation. I hesitated to insulate the area under the shower in case of a leak, the insulation could possibly absorb the water and you would never know you had a problem.

Good luck getting it worked out. Safe travels home.

Dave

Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2012 4:20 PM

I have a 35gs. Uggg, just pulled off that tin thing in the wheel well, no insulation whatsoever. I do see the tank though. :). There is a small hole that goes to the main plumbing compartment, but you probably couldn't fit a tennis ball through it. Not sure yet if a small heater or a hole in the furnace tubes would work best

Matt

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 10347
Attachments :

Like Dave - we use a light in the pump house to keep things warm. That is on an Easy Heat switch. In the mean time for your short term problem -

Suggestion 1 - get a work light and a warm bulb, and set it to heating in there.

Suggestion 2 - Just run the furnace for a while. The ducts are already run to help with warming in this area. This is definitely true in my 34SS.

EZ heat

Before you drill anything look at the duct that runs by the pump house. There is an attachment there that in my unit you can loosen to cause more air to flow into the compartment. You can seal this later.

Below this line are ideas I have not tried myself. Just Ideas - perhaps less invasive -

You might also want to try a snake, as this will travel up the relatively narrow junction in case you have different blockage - to get things flowing.

Finally, you could try warm water with the flush king. If you have not worked a flush king before - read the directions carefully.

Kevin

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ]
    ("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)