Skip to main content
Topic: Cold Air intake (Read 623 times) previous topic - next topic

Cold Air intake

Yahoo Message Number: 15468
Took my unit in for service lately and was advised that the air entering the duramax engine is up to 40 degrees hotter than the outside air. It was suggested that I install some type of system to obtain colder air but he had no recommendations. It has a low restriction air filter in the original filter holder.
He claims the fuel mileage would be greater and the power would increase.

Anyone does this and what are the results?

Thanks
Don

Re: Cold Air intake

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 15470
Really the best way to test this theory would be to use some type of tuner that will allow you to see the IAT at the MAF sensor on the air intake.  Then you could  compare that to ambient outside temps. This would be a start, if you really could see the air heating up that much from radiant heat from the engine to the hood you could apply some the foil reflective tape along the intake track of the hood and all around the intake box to try and reflect as much heat as you can.

Keep in mind the Duramax has an Air to Air intercooler and it will try and bring that air back down close to ambient as possible before it enters the engine. Wrapping or coating the pipes could also help but then again we are talking very little gains. Maybe something like water/meth injection or propane injection would bet better suited.

Another thought would be to clean the whole cooling stack, radiator, IC, etc really well and get them working at 100%

Kendrick

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 15474
My intake air is generally about 10° higher than outside air. Intake air goes thru filter to Turbo to inter-cooler to engine.
When I first purchased my MH. I saw where there was oil around all the inter-cooler connectors. Took it to dealer. They replaced inter-cooler because it was coated with oil inside. After reading on Diesel Place I found that on our engines the PCV is run thru turbo and inter-cooler. I rerouted the PCV to a canister so it does not go thru inter-cooler. No more problems. Joints are always clean after 80k miles.
Kendrick could also be right. But I would think you would be seeing high temperatures from radiator and transmission if the stack is blocked.
You may want to look into inter-cooler that Kendrick has for your repair.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 15476
I have a scangauge D on my coach which shows IAT among all the other read outs. From the little I know about it 40* over ambient is not bad. It will go up the most pulling a slow hill where the cac is not getting as much cold air through it. Down hill or under light load at speed it's closer to ambient. Hope this helps,
Bill