Skip to main content
Topic: Rain leaking around slide seals when extended or in (Read 775 times) previous topic - next topic

Rain leaking around slide seals when extended or in

Yahoo Message Number: 2683
Last week it was monsoon season in NOrth Florida and I have rain water pouring in around slide seals. Seals feel and look good but how can you increaase contact pressure to provide seal. Situation same either in or out. Any ideas

Re: Rain leaking around slide seals when extended or in

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2684
Attachments :

For photos see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/album/1253223100/pic/list
    Well, it is monsoon season everywhere. We left Texas 6 weeks ago, and we have had almost continuous rain, and sever weather in MO, IA, SD. MO was when we found the first wet spot. We found the problem was only partly the seal. We looked for light both inside and out. Over 24 hours - during the day we darkened the coach and looked for light inside. Then after dark we lit up the coach and looked for light outside. We marked everything with blue tape.
    That showed a few problems. 1) There were cracks in the molding at the corners of the seal, and some mysterious areas that had not been filled. 2) There were some gaps where the seal was not pressing hard enough to shut out the light. 3) There was a place on the living room seal where molding had been pulled from the screws.
    We started by cleaning and sanding and masking the molding cracks.

Clean and Sanded cracks in molding

Then I masked and sealed the cracks.

Silicon seal with masking tape removed
    I also weather stripped the internal areas where we had seen light.
    One area I was not successful at was trying to increase the pressure of the seal against the slide. Do not do this: What I tried to do was add some weather strip inside the rubber folding. The weather stripping ended up getting stuck to the slide, and I stopped it before things got worse.
    The last step was I used silicon lubricant to coat all the seals inside and out, wall side and slide side, and liberally lubricated the slide pads. I also put some lube on the slides themselves where they rub against the seal. Then I ran them in and out a time or two.
    On another front - I have been extra diligent to squeegee my slide outs and slide out awnings before bringing them in.
    Good news is that all leaks are currently fixed. I would still like to increase seal pressure in a place or two. Let me know what you discover.
    I am currently working on the area that I found on the main slide where about 4 screws have been pulled through the slide seal. My plan is to drill out a thin brass plate to support the screws for reinsertion into the seal. The seal seems to have life left in it. Doing that tomorrow.

Kevin (Jayco Seneca HD 34 SS)
    44.48024N, 103.85751W

center
    From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of swanmb
    Sent: Friday, June 12, 2009 10:10 PM
    To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Rain leaking around slide seals when extended or in

left

Reply #2
    Yahoo Message Number: 2685
    A suggestion would be to travel with the slide locks installed. I do and it will also stop alot of squeaks and rattles. The slide locks will increase the pressure on the seals and probably solve your problem.

Sent: Friday, June 12, 2009 10:55:46 PM
    Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Rain leaking around slide seals when extended or in

For photos see http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/KodiakChas sisClassC/ photos/album/ 1253223100/ pic/list
    Well, it is monsoon season everywhere. We left Texas 6 weeks ago, and we have had almost continuous rain, and sever weather in MO, IA, SD. MO was when we found the first wet spot. We found the problem was only partly the seal. We looked for light both inside and out. Over 24 hours - during the day we darkened the coach and looked for light inside. Then after dark we lit up the coach and looked for light outside. We marked everything with blue tape.
    That showed a few problems. 1) There were cracks in the molding at the corners of the seal, and some mysterious areas that had not been filled. 2) There were some gaps where the seal was not pressing hard enough to shut out the light. 3) There was a place on the living room seal where molding had been pulled from the screws.
    We started by cleaning and sanding and masking the molding cracks.

Clean and Sanded cracks in molding

Then I masked and sealed the cracks.

Silicon seal with masking tape removed
    I also weather stripped the internal areas where we had seen light.
    One area I was not successful at was trying to increase the pressure of the seal against the slide. Do not do this: What I tried to do was add some weather strip inside the rubber folding. The weather stripping ended up getting stuck to the slide, and I stopped it before things got worse.
    The last step was I used silicon lubricant to coat all the seals inside and out, wall side and slide side, and liberally lubricated the slide pads. I also put some lube on the slides themselves where they rub against the seal. Then I ran them in and out a time or two.
    On another front - I have been extra diligent to squeegee my slide outs and slide out awnings before bringing them in.
    Good news is that all leaks are currently fixed. I would still like to increase seal pressure in a place or two. Let me know what you discover.
    I am currently working on the area that I found on the main slide where about 4 screws have been pulled through the slide seal. My plan is to drill out a thin brass plate to support the screws for reinsertion into the seal. The seal seems to have life left in it. Doing that tomorrow.

44.48024N, 103.85751W

From: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com [mailto: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com ] On Behalf Of swanmb
    To: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClass C] Rain leaking around slide seals when extended or in

Last week it was monsoon season in NOrth Florida and I have rain water pouring in around slide seals. Seals feel and look good but how can you increaase contact pressure to provide seal. Situation same either in or out. Any ideas

Reply #3
    Yahoo Message Number: 2688

Dennis

Sorry to be oblivious, but, what are "slide locks" I bought my Endura used and it is the first unit I had with slides?

Mike

Reply #4
    Yahoo Message Number: 2689
    Attachments :

Kevin

Thanks for the pictures and details, Will definitely take a look, especially the top corners. Thanks again.

Mike

Reply #5
      Yahoo Message Number: 2690
      Check to see if any sticks are caught in seals

swanmb wrote:

Reply #6
      Yahoo Message Number: 2691
      My rear slide was leaking during heavy rain. Found that side seals were not making good contact with slide. Took a 1/4"X 1 1/2" piece of aluminum bar stock. Drilled and counter sunk holes every 6". Then mounted one on each side of slide. This pushed seal out to make a better contact with side of slide.
      I also found that the connection with top seal and side seal had a small leak. Used some Boatlife caulk to seal this connection.
      http://boatlife.ipower.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_12&products_id=9
      Great stuff that you should be able to find at a West Marine Store.
      I have covered my MH for the summer cannot get pictures. Made similar repairs to front driver side slide. Even though it had no leaks.
      Latest repair I made was to rollers on bedroom slide under closet (some models have bunks in this area)part of slide. They had come loose from side wall. This allowed slide to drop down on lower seal and almost destroyed it. It also made slide have a small leak. Made mounting brackets that go all the way to floor inside motorhome. This provides more support for rollers instead of wall.

Reply #7
      Yahoo Message Number: 2693
      Attachments :

Slide out seal issues part II.
        If you cannot see photos try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/album/1253223100/pic/list
        Transit Bar
        (On Dennis' comment) A transit bar looks like this. The intent is to lock in the slide in case of an accident to improve the integrity of the coach. Transit bars can also stop unwanted motion during travel. Some folks argue that they are there to engender huge repair bills in case you try to use your slide out with the transit bar in place!

Transit Bar
        Squeegee is Your Friend
        Well it rained all night again last night, so I took this opportunity to show the squeegee in use with the slide awning. My favorite part is being on the roof when it is wet. Maybe it will shorten my life expectancy. (Careful) you can also reach under the awning to get any rain that the wind blew on top of the slide. When I can - I dump the puddles, and then spread the rest to give it a chance to dry. Finally do the sides and bottom. The sides gather mostly vegetation. The bottom because in a good rain a lot of debris and dirt is kicked up on the bottom of the slide and can do havoc.

Seal Fixes Continued
        Ron Hall is the man! What I aspire to in DIY heaven. I am dying to see pictures and try the aluminum band approach.
        As I mentioned I have a problem where three screws have been pulled out of the bottom seal of the main slide out. In this photo you can see how the bolts for the furniture are mounted by drilling a hole in the insulation.

Furniture bolt, flooring, insulation hole
        When the seal hits the edge of this hole on retraction a bunch of things can happen, including folding the seal back into the RV. That is not in itself a bad thing, and for all I know it may even be the designer's intent. However in my case that was enough force to also pull the seal away from the screws that were meant to secure it! Not pretty.
        My plan was to use a brass support strap to secure the rubber seal, and then place the screws through the brass piece. Instead I just used washers, simpler and we shall see if it is enough support to keep the seal in place. Next I had to do something about the offending furniture hole. What I did was bevel the edge, and then fill the hole so that the rubber seal could not get trapped on the edge. (Should the fill come out of the hole, the beveled edge may be enough to ensure that the seal does not get caught again.)
        Here it is with screws replaced adding washers, and taped for sealing:

Washers on & taped for sealing
        And here it is with furniture hole filled

Bolt hole filled
        This picture shows another issue which is that there are some scrapes in the undersurface. Also the grabbing of the rubber seal had separated the black backing from the insulation around the bolt hole. So I glued the black backing back onto the insulation and pinned it until dry.
        Based on the scrapes I decreased some of the heavier under seat storage (Where does it all come from? ;-). I tried inspecting under the slide for debris or rocks, but suspect that there are some errant screws from the underside construction that are "helping" me.
        That is my swan song. Off to the National Forest tomorrow (no connection) for a few days.
        44.48024N, 103.85751W

center
        From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of swanmb
        Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Rain leaking around slide seals when extended or in

left

Reply #8
        Yahoo Message Number: 2696
        My DW tried to open the slides without removing the transit bars (slide locks). I caught her before she moved he first one. Now I have a labeled he switches with large block letters (LOCKS) to remind her and me that the locks are installed. It is working out ok.. I also have an orange streamer attached to the lock installed on the fwd end of the kitchen slide. Another reminder. I don't have a rain problem and no rattles either.

Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2009 2:35:23 PM
        Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Rain leaking around slide seals when extended or in

Slide out seal issues part II.
        If you cannot see photos try: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/KodiakChas sisClassC/ photos/album/ 1253223100/ pic/list
        Transit Bar
        (On Dennis' comment) A transit bar looks like this. The intent is to lock in the slide in case of an accident to improve the integrity of the coach. Transit bars can also stop unwanted motion during travel. Some folks argue that they are there to engender huge repair bills in case you try to use your slide out with the transit bar in place!

Transit Bar
        Squeegee is Your Friend
        Well it rained all night again last night, so I took this opportunity to show the squeegee in use with the slide awning. My favorite part is being on the roof when it is wet. Maybe it will shorten my life expectancy. (Careful) you can also reach under the awning to get any rain that the wind blew on top of the slide. When I can - I dump the puddles, and then spread the rest to give it a chance to dry. Finally do the sides and bottom. The sides gather mostly vegetation. The bottom because in a good rain a lot of debris and dirt is kicked up on the bottom of the slide and can do havoc.

Seal Fixes Continued
        Ron Hall is the man! What I aspire to in DIY heaven. I am dying to see pictures and try the aluminum band approach.
        As I mentioned I have a problem where three screws have been pulled out of the bottom seal of the main slide out. In this photo you can see how the bolts for the furniture are mounted by drilling a hole in the insulation.

Furniture bolt, flooring, insulation hole
        When the seal hits the edge of this hole on retraction a bunch of things can happen, including folding the seal back into the RV. That is not in itself a bad thing, and for all I know it may even be the designer's intent. However in my case that was enough force to also pull the seal away from the screws that were meant to secure it! Not pretty.
        My plan was to use a brass support strap to secure the rubber seal, and then place the screws through the brass piece. Instead I just used washers, simpler and we shall see if it is enough support to keep the seal in place. Next I had to do something about the offending furniture hole. What I did was bevel the edge, and then fill the hole so that the rubber seal could not get trapped on the edge. (Should the fill come out of the hole, the beveled edge may be enough to ensure that the seal does not get caught again.)
        Here it is with screws replaced adding washers, and taped for sealing:

Washers on & taped for sealing
        And here it is with furniture hole filled

Bolt hole filled
        This picture shows another issue which is that there are some scrapes in the undersurface. Also the grabbing of the rubber seal had separated the black backing from the insulation around the bolt hole. So I glued the black backing back onto the insulation and pinned it until dry.
        Based on the scrapes I decreased some of the heavier under seat storage (Where does it all come from? ;-). I tried inspecting under the slide for debris or rocks, but suspect that there are some errant screws from the underside construction that are "helping" me.
        That is my swan song. Off to the National Forest tomorrow (no connection) for a few days.
        44.48024N, 103.85751W

From: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com [mailto: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com ] On Behalf Of swanmb
        To: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com
        Subject: [KodiakChassisClass C] Rain leaking around slide seals when extended or in