Skip to main content
Topic: Airlift Airbag Installation Manual (Read 609 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Airlift Airbag Installation Manual

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 4375
Hi everyone,

I've been reading your questions regarding the air bags and since I have them on all 4 corners of my 2008 Seneca HD 36MS I thought I'd pass along a few insights.

1. I got them in hopes of getting a smother ride up front. nope. You can get better results from switching to the Michelins.

2. I wanted better front to rear leveling. Yes! But you only need the rear set to accomplish this. But I did get additional side to side leveling when parked.

3. Discovered that all the work done to make the front suspension more roadworthy was undone by the front bags. Whenever we hit high winds or truck traffic, I let the air out of the front bags to let the steering stabilizer do it's work.

4. Important! the directions state to soak the air line tips in hot water before installation. Do IT! My installer did not and I fought leaks for some time until I finally caught up with all the problem connections. I just soaked the ends in hot water and replaced them and the leaks are now all gone.

5. I also discovered that the level of my toad was now too low for the towbar. I fixed that by inflating the toads tires to max in the front and min in the back for a quick fix. I'm installing air shocks in the toad to take care of that in the future.

Sure wish I could join you all for the rally but I couldn't make it this year.

Big Bill
Now in Reno, NV
2005 Hemi Durango Toad

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 4378
Airshocks on your toad??

Why don't you just install a drop hitch on your tow vehicle? Roadmaster wants to see +-4" from center to center of the attachment points on the respective vehicles. My coach was too high to I installed a dual rear hitch so I could carry my bikes (or whatever) on the 'new' top receiver and attach my Roadmaster hitch on the bottom. Now the toad tows flat / correctly and most importantly safely.

Raising and lowering the tire pressure sounds dangerous to me and I cannot fathom how that changes the front attachment ride height enough to matter?

5. I also discovered that the level of my toad was now too low for the towbar. I fixed that by inflating the toads tires to max in the front and min in the back for a quick fix. I'm installing air shocks in the toad to take care of that in the future.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 4380
Thanks to Don, Ron, Big Bill for your last posts & manual uploads.
Todd

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ronjhallsr
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:53 AM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Airlift Airbag Installation Manual

I uploaded the Firestone Ride Rite Manual to the forum. Looks like they may be easier to install.
Best
Ron Hall

--- In KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com, Don Leslie  wrote:
I've posted the Airlift
Manual to the files section for those who are interested in seeing what work is involved installing these bags.
Don

http://autos. groups.yahoo. com/group/ KodiakChassisCla ssC/files/ Kodiak /

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 4386
I beleive that for toad hitching you would'nt want to be more than 4 inches plus or minus off straight from hitch to tow bar lugs. It is ideal to have your tow bar parallel to the ground. More than 4" either way would allow the toad to dive under the tow vehicle or climb up under an emergency hard brakeing situation. Just my two cents.
Denny

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, April 28, 2010 12:55:42 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Airlift Airbag Installation Manual

Airshocks on your toad??

Why don't you just install a drop hitch on your tow vehicle? Roadmaster wants to see +-4" from center to center of the attachment points on the respective vehicles. My coach was too high to I installed a dual rear hitch so I could carry my bikes (or whatever) on the 'new' top receiver and attach my Roadmaster hitch on the bottom. Now the toad tows flat / correctly and most importantly safely.

Raising and lowering the tire pressure sounds dangerous to me and I cannot fathom how that changes the front attachment ride height enough to matter?

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 4398
The drop hitch is a good idea too. My toad is a 4wd that could use a little more ground clearance also. As for the tire pressure, both amounts are within specs and I only needed 1/2 inch to get within the +- 4" necessary.