Skip to main content
Topic: Aux propane setup (Read 661 times) previous topic - next topic

Aux propane setup

Yahoo Message Number: 12272
I've looked at online ads for extend-a-stay "T" adapters that allow external tanks to be attached. I was wondering why it wouldn't be possible to just connect a tank with regulator to the external grill gas quick disconnect fitting and back feed the system.

Am I missing something? As long as the water column rating and flow capacity equals that of the coach, wouldn't it be the same as using the extend-a-stay?

Take care,
Greg

Re: Aux propane setup

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 12273
"
Am I missing something? As long as the water column rating and flow capacity equals that of the coach, wouldn't it be the same as using the extend-a-stay?"
I have a extend-a-stay so I am not sure you can do this. I do have a BBQ hooked to the erxtend-a-stay. Mine has different fittings.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 12274
I have a unit that goes between the tank outlet to the coach and the regulator. It has a fitting on it that allows a standard LP bottle of any size to be connected into the system. I have used it boondocking and no problems. I think I got it from Camping World.
Denny

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 12275
I saw a hookup similar to what you are discussing on a pull type camper. I was interested in the grill but if memory serves me, it was something like this. The fitting that screws in the propane tank, maybe POL fitting, had been removed from the regulator. A black iron pipe cross had been installed between the regulator and the POL fitting. On the other 2 sides of the cross, a quick coupling had been installed. I believe the man said he purchased the quick couplings at Harbor Freight. They appeared to be regular air line fittings. Out of one of the quick couplings, he had a propane hose attached which ran to the grill. On the end opposite the quick coupling was a brass fitting just like the fitting on the top of a small propane bottle. The grill had a coupling on the end of the hose that fit a small propane bottle. Thus, the grill hose screwed onto the end of the hose attached to the quick coupling.
I beleive the other side of the cross had a quick coupling as well which attached to a seperate propane bottle. He stated he could use this aux bottle to extend his stay because if he turned off the original propane tank, he would only be using from the aux bottle.
He stated that by attaching the cross before the regulator, he was using the high pressure propane. When it reached the grill hose, it was reduced by the valve at the end of the hose that included the end which screwed onto a small propane bottle. Likewise, the other hose that hooked to the other side of the cross carried high pressure propane but stepped it down when it went thru the regulator to the remainder of the camper.
Really hadn't thought about it since as I was only interested in the grill and don't even know if the same type quick couplings can be used for propane and compressed air.
He did say it worked as he thought it would and was pleased with it.
Just sitting here and trying to remember how he kept the quick coupling from getting debris in them when the other end of the quick coupling was inserted but don't remember.
Food for thought.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 12280
i have seen the set up that used the grill connector like you are saying and the guy did it just as you had explained using the regulator and such. i think i may have even seen it in this forum.

mark

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 12281
as a side note, when i put my extend a stay kit on, i put a quick connect that i bought at lowes and it has worked fine. i had to modify the set up a bit as i wanted to be able to close the compartment door so i added an elbow.

just make sure you put a small plastic bag over the quick connect on the motorhome to keep road grime out.

mark

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 12283
My Jayco came with the quick connect grill attachment already installed and it has a rubber plug that goes in it for travel. I'm going to pursue the extend-a-stay or this back feed method, but have decided to wait til I get home. Doing it on the road begs for something to go wrong and with some temps forecast in the teens later, I don't want to break anything.

My scheme for keeping things thawed has worked well while we're in Denver so far. We got down to 12 and everything survived. I've got a clamp on halogen work light by the dump valves and it puts out enough heat to keep everything well above freezing when I shoot the temp gun at it. The heated water hose has worked well so far and I wrap the connection with some foam and tape. The park has heated water spigots. My little Lasko heaters are doing a good job inside and at night I open the compartment that opens to the back of the water control manifold, etc. That stays nice and warm now.

So far, so good.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 12296
I had an Extend-A-Stay installed in line from the tank.
Does not need adapters to use, just the hoses it came with.
Ours is a Seneca too.