Skip to main content
Topic: Mileage and Registration Cost (Read 1135 times) previous topic - next topic

Mileage and Registration Cost

Yahoo Message Number: 5804
Hey All,

I am deciding on whether to buy a gas or diesel Kodiak Style moho and was hoping everyone could post their engine type and gas mileage.

I'm also curious how much registration is for one these beasts in California?

Thank you!!

Re: Mileage and Registration Cost

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 5805
My former Jayco Greyhawk Gasser - towing a 2007 Tahoe averaged about 7.6 MPG. When not towing and travelling at a steady 55 MPH it would get over 8 but once the speed increased it would be back under 8.

Don

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 5806

My 08 35GS diesel, towing a 4wd Canyon Crew cab has averaged 9.3 (holding 62/65 mph) over the last 18,000 miles. I had it scaled and I'm probably about 200 lbs over the 26,000 GCVW including the toad, some water and whatever when fully loaded for an extendend trip.

Dave Sparke

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 5807
I have a 2008 Jayco Seneca 36MS Diesel and very happy with the engine performance. I average around 8-9.5 miles per gallon. For the best all around drive with great performance in the hills diesel is the way to go!!!

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 5808
I'm set up pretty much the same as Dave Sparke. I am also close to 200 lbs over the 26K GCWR. I carry about a 1/3 tank of water and the usual road load. Over the last 4200 miles I averaged 9.3 with a high tank of 11.3. We kept a log of all fills this last trip and these are as accuate as I can make it. I feel at the gross weight we are, the milage is very good. I drove with the cruise at 65. Always filled to the top of the filler pipe. I use Stanadyn Performance and a TCW-3 2 cycle oil about every third fill up. All in all very happy with the milage. All this while towing the Ranger with an ATV in the bed. Also I run Edge Juice on level 3. Stays in OD most of the time. Lots of guts on the hills.
Denny

2006 Seneca 35GS Dmax. Ford Ranger toad.

To: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Tue, November 16, 2010 6:22:44 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Mileage and Registration Cost

I have a 2008 Jayco Seneca 36MS Diesel and very happy with the engine performance. I average around 8-9.5 miles per gallon. For the best all around drive with great performance in the hills diesel is the way to go!!!

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 5810
I have a diesel and have a total avg from day one at 9mpg

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 5812
2007 32' Bigfoot, diesel. motor is stock LLY Duramax. Vehicle mileage is around 33,000 mi.

Depending on the trip,
we tow: jeep wrangler (flat tow) approx. 3000 lbs - 10mpg (just put in 9011 miles on a trip to Alaska)
Jeep wrangler rockcrawler on 14' trailer. approx 5500 lbs - 9mpg
21.5' Sanger wakeboard boat approx 3600 lbs - 10mpg

Not towing we get 11+ mpg.

Calif. registration was $707 in 2009
This year with new regs increase it was $1059.

Jeff

-

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 5813
I have averaged 10.3 mpg over 50,000 miles with a 35' Endura towing a 4000 lbs load.
Here in MI I pay $63 annual registration. SOS (DMV) office can not get it right. Should be closer to $400.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 5814
Have 6.6 diesel pulling 23 ft trailer and get between 7.5 and 8.5. DMV fees in CA will be about $1,400+
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 21:29:06 -0000
To:
ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Mileage and Registration Cost

I have averaged 10.3 mpg over 50,000 miles with a 35' Endura towing a 4000 lbs load.
 Here in MI I pay $63 annual registration. SOS (DMV) office can not get it right. Should be closer to $400.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 5815
Like Don, I'm a lowly gasser :-) My Greyhawk 32SS with 8.4L gas and 6
spd Allison averages 7 - 7.5 mpg towing a 4000 lb Vue at 60 mph. If I
drop back to 55 I can bump it up to 8. Not towing gains me about 1 mpg

In NC we pay $33 to license the vehicle each year and then get assessed
a property tax based on some magical value the State uses. It decreases
as the unit ages. Mine started at $915 the first year and three years
later it is a bit over $500 for the year.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 5816
Ron as you know I have a 2006 Seneca 34SS with the Duramax 6.6lly. I don't tow and get about the same 10.3 MPG as you do.

My 2011 California Registration just arrived and totals $725 which seems very high for a 5 year old RV.

Past fees: 2007 = $711, 2008 = $647, 2009 = $595, 2010 = $840.
2010 must have added a new tax structure!! $245 INCREASE over previous yesr.

cd

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 5817
We have a 2008 34' Fourwinds with the 8.1 Gas engine. Towing either our Jeep Wrangler or 18' ski boat we get about 7.1 mpg, otherwise we get between 7.8 and 8.5 mpg depending on speed. For the most part we are happy with the gas engine, however I would not mind a little more torque when towing up steep grades, and the exhaust brake when descending steep grades. Keep in mind the extra cost for diesel fuel and the higher cost of oil changes, etc. As far as registration, we too are in California and continued to get slammed with excessive fees. Last year we paid about $980.

Take Care,
Rob

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 5819
Funny, mine went down this year as in previous years. Think it was around $450, just paid it a few weeks ago.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 5820
We have a 2007 Jayco GreyHawk 33DS with the 8.1 gas engine. We are satisified with the gas engine. We tow a GMC Envoy (4600 lbs.) an usually average 7.5 mpg. When not towing we average about 8.2 mpg. We usually do not exceed 62 mph and use the cruise control whenever possible. . As far as registration, in Pennsylvania we pay 6% sales tax when the vehicle is purchased (or on the difference when trading). Our annual registration fee is $83 per year.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 5822
I have the Jayco Seneca 36 MS with the Durmax 6.6 I have been getting about 10 MPG towing a Jeep Wrangler until I was told about a fuel addative called CA40 Using it my milage has jumped up 2 MPG. On the CA40 web site(http://www.ca40g.com) there Fuel Consumption Test is showing over 20% increase in MPG.Here is how the web site for the product explains how it works:

CA 40 How It Works

Calcium is the second best metallic lubricant on the planet (platinum is the best), and is used in the best greases. It's also one of the major components of CA-40. The problem has been that no one has ever been able to keep calcium suspended in fuel. Until now.
CA-40 keeps calcium in suspension through a patented blending process. When CA-40 is added to gasoline or diesel, the calcium bonds to hydrocarbons within the fuel, causing it to burn more efficiently. What this means to consumers is increased fuel efficiency, increased lubricity, and a decrease in harmful emissions.

Combustion Enhancement
Unlike other additives, CA-40 is not a solvent or a fuel conditioner. It is actually a combustion enhancer. Combustion enhancement is attained through further oxidation of the un-burnt hydrocarbons in the fuel.

There are three things that are needed in combustion: fuel, oxygen and ignition. CA-40 suspends within the hydrocarbons and further allows oxygen and fuel to be held together (fuel and oxygen). The third component of ignition is accomplished due to the thermo-electric and Piezo-electric properties of the calcium in CA-40. When combustion occurs in the engine, the heat and pressure causes the electrons in the calcium to accelerate. This acceleration provides the ignition (spark) in the proximity of the hydrocarbons resulting in further oxidation (burning) of the hydrocarbons. As a result, the fuel burns more completely, causing an increase in horsepower and fuel efficiency.

CA-40 does not take fuel out of specifications
      CA-40 does not change Octane or Cetane. Independent testing indicated that CA-40 did not take gasoline or diesel out of specifications.

Increased Lubricity
As stated above, calcium, a key ingredient in CA-40, is an outstanding lubricant. Tests in gasoline and diesel have indicated a substantial increase in lubricity when treated with CA-40.
Environmentally Safe
      Catalytic converters burn some of the hydrocarbons not burned in the engine, cleaning vehicle emissions. With CA-40, more hydrocarbons are burned in the engine, and the catalytic converter burns all of the remaining hydrocarbons. Vehicles tested using fuel treated with CA-40 had ZERO un-burnt hydrocarbons at the tailpipe. Engines burning fuel treated with CA-40 have tested with a consistent reduction in emissions (See Emissions test information page). Also, all ingredients in CA-40 are environmentally friendly.
CA-40 is backed by a $2 million insurance policy

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 5823
If this product is so good. Every trucker in the country would be using it.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 5824
It never fails someone keeps coming up with these promises and gadgits that never work but makes them a millionaire! Dane

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 5827
Registration is based on SALES PRICE in California. Its about 3% so it you buy a $100,000 coach you will pay Sales Tax of ~ 8% + the Registration fee of about 3% ( Its a little less I think) Each subsequent year is goes down a bit.

This was also part of the reason I scooped my New Diesel 34H Dutchmen at $65K - Tax and registration are also half of what they were.....

My Diesel gets 9.43 MPG overall (tanks ranging from 7.94 to 12.9 MPG). Best was 12.9 running flat, EMPTY and 60MPH on the highway from Yuma to San Diego - that was when I bought it. Now that its filled with my shit and towing a Geo Tracker its right at 9 under most conditions at GVWR and under GCWR as the Tracker is only 2,200#s

The Diesel does not pay for itself in the premium you must pay up front. The new gassers are pretty damn good overall for performance with equal HP and near equal Torque.

The good news about my diesel (and the gassers may be the same) is that I can climb up the Cajon Pass etc. full speed and never slow down. The problem is that when towing a car (or anything) you must stay in the RIGHT two lanes of traffic, which forces you to get behind slow moving semis on most occasions.

You Mileage May Vary!!!!

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, November 16, 2010 4:07:28 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Mileage and Registration Cost

Hey All,

I am deciding on whether to buy a gas or diesel Kodiak Style moho and was hoping everyone could post their engine type and gas mileage.

I'm also curious how much registration is for one these beasts in California?

Thank you!!

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 5851
Shari & I just arrived here in Naples Florida the day before yesterday from home in Fort Wayne, Indiana. We are going to stay here for about 6 weeks and then go back to Indiana to do some winter fun in the UP of Michigan snowmobiling. As for milage last year when we came to Florida we averaged not quite 10 MPG. Ron you can believe it or not this trip I averaged over 12 MPG. As for why aren't all truckers using it; its a new product and in fact a truck driver friend of mine told me about it. His company has now put the entire fleet on the product. So use it or don't I was just passing along some information to the group that I know personally works. If any of the group from our Kodiak Rally in Elkhart this past spring is out there in Florida and you would like to meet for dinner some time during the next month or so let me know. Larry & Shari Myers

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 5852
Good report. Will keep watching for it. I have let my son (who is a cross country truck driver) know about it. Waiting to see if he gets any reports or decides to try it.
Best
Ron Hall