Skip to main content
Topic: Intermittent brake chime on start (Read 421 times) previous topic - next topic

Intermittent brake chime on start

Yahoo Message Number: 7057
Continuing my quest to learn this new rig :-)

Shortly after getting my Conquest Super C, I noticed that the brake chime would occasionally go off when I went to start it. I did some research on this and some other sites and saw that the brake switch was a usual culprit. Bought a new one and installed a few weeks ago, but I still get the chime at times.

One possible cure I found is to put the key into the accessory position for a few seconds before starting. I hear what I think is a pump running (building brake pressure perhaps?)...nothing in the chassis owners manual about this. Then when I start it, no chime.

If I jump in and just try a quick start, it seems to chime every time along with the brake service warning light.

Can anyone enlighten me?

p.s. Bought a Scanguage II based on another post and checked the system with it. No codes pending or otherwiae are showing.

thanks,

Ken
'05 Gulf Stream Conquest Super-C

Re: Intermittent brake chime on start

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7058
Attachments :
    Ah those lovely chimes.

Yes. The break switch is suspect number 1. However the cause may relate to mis-wiring of the break controller. If your unit was used or if you had a break controller wired, it is good to check against bulletin 66 (In the files section) to make sure it is wired correctly.

My break switch did fail, and I currently carry a spare.

As to other causes. Check your hydraulic fluid. The breaks are hydraulic, and the fluid level is key. Clean the area thoroughly and open one of the caps. Look for clear fluid that should be just below the rings. Otherwise you may need to change or top off. Do you store on the level or on an incline?

Also check previous posts, there are some more esoteric wiring problems folks have seen. I will let them speak to them from experience.

Yes. The air tank under the drivers stair needs to have a few seconds to air up. It is used for several systems. So waiting for it to air up is good. I also usually idle until I can see the temp come up into range on the engine before starting to move. Usually this is done by the time I do jacks and check toad and vehicle lights, and spot check the tires.

Kevin
    Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
    ("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Belle and Mason

Reply #2
    Yahoo Message Number: 7060
    As Kevin said, If you have a brake controller it may be wired to the white wire on the brake switch. Check out Bulletin 66. http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/bull/bull66.pdf
    The info is a little deceiving on where the wires are. The are located on passenger side frame rail. Inside of door step.
    On my Kodiak I had to cut the wire off connector then splice a new wire into it.
    On my truck I found that there was a bad connection on hydro boost motor. The connector is under brake master cylinder.
    You may have a bad ignition key switch. Not likely to cause a brake switch problem. But worth considering if other items fail to fix problem.
    You may want to check connection/plug in cab at bottom of steering column. Some have had this problem with connector not being seated properly.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #3
    Yahoo Message Number: 7061
    Is it the brake chime or the leveler warning which also sounds if the fluid is low.