Skip to main content
Topic: ScanGauge II and a Little Luck Saves the Day (Read 599 times) previous topic - next topic

ScanGauge II and a Little Luck Saves the Day

Yahoo Message Number: 4913
We just got back from a 3,800 mile trip from California to Coeur d'Alene, Glacier NP, Banff/Lake Louise, Whistler, and via ferry to Vancouver Island. The weather was great, the scenery spectacular, and a break in our routine therapeutic.

On our way north on Sunday morning, we were coming down the mountain north of Grants Pass, OR when the Duramax in my Seneca went into "limp mode" and thoughts of a ruined vacation loomed ahead. Luckily we weren't too far from the 7 Feathers Truck Stop. They referred me to a mobile diesel mechanic that lived in the area. Upon arrival, and after I explained the symptoms, he looked around , scratched his head, and announced that he was a 18 wheel mechanic and his diagnostic tools wouldn't fit into my OBDII socket. Oh joy, a Sunday at 7 Feathers and no help.

It was about then that I remembered my ScanGauge II had a DTC reader capability, and while never having an occasion to use it before, I certainly had one now! I scanned the code, pulled out my laptop, opened my RV Technical Library folder, and looked up the previously downloaded Kodiak OBDII codes.( A big thanks to Don-ddsmcl for posting this valuable information.!!)

Low fuel pressure was indicated and therefore the fuel filter was the likely culprit. Armed with this information, my new found friend, called his friend that runs the NAPA parts store (don't you just love small towns), and voila, $250.00 and 2 ½ hours later, we're back on the road.

The morale of this story is three fold IMO:

If you don't already have one, get a ScanGuage II or its equivalent. It is an indispensible diagnostic tool.
Keep the Kodiak OBDII code list onboard at all times….you never know when you are going to need it.
Keep spare filters and fluids on board also….I just got lucky the NAPA man was home on Sunday afternoon. :-)

Craig

Re: ScanGauge II and a Little Luck Saves the Day

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 4915
I am ordering one now. Can you post a link to the Kodiak OBDII codes?

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Craig
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2010 12:28 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] ScanGauge II and a Little Luck Saves the Day

We just got back from a 3,800 mile trip from California to Coeur d'Alene, Glacier NP, Banff/Lake Louise, Whistler, and via ferry to Vancouver Island. The weather was great, the scenery spectacular, and a break in our routine therapeutic.

On our way north on Sunday morning, we were coming down the mountain north of Grants Pass, OR when the Duramax in my Seneca went into "limp mode" and thoughts of a ruined vacation loomed ahead. Luckily we weren't too far from the 7 Feathers Truck Stop. They referred me to a mobile diesel mechanic that lived in the area. Upon arrival, and after I explained the symptoms, he looked around , scratched his head, and announced that he was a 18 wheel mechanic and his diagnostic tools wouldn't fit into my OBDII socket. Oh joy, a Sunday at 7 Feathers and no help.

It was about then that I remembered my ScanGauge II had a DTC reader capability, and while never having an occasion to use it before, I certainly had one now! I scanned the code, pulled out my laptop, opened my RV Technical Library folder, and looked up the previously downloaded Kodiak OBDII codes.( A big thanks to Don-ddsmcl for posting this valuable information.!!)

Low fuel pressure was indicated and therefore the fuel filter was the likely culprit. Armed with this information, my new found friend, called his friend that runs the NAPA parts store (don't you just love small towns), and voila, $250.00 and 2 ½ hours later, we're back on the road.

The morale of this story is three fold IMO:

If you don't already have one, get a ScanGuage II or its equivalent. It is an indispensible diagnostic tool.
Keep the Kodiak OBDII code list onboard at all times....you never know when you are going to need it.
Keep spare filters and fluids on board also....I just got lucky the NAPA man was home on Sunday afternoon. :-)

Craig

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 4917
WOW!!! That is great thanks!

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Craig
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2010 4:34 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: ScanGauge II and a Little Luck Saves the Day

Ian, here's a link to my RV Technical Library that has several documents that you may find useful.
http://cid-0c1fd01e198ee7af.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Craig%5E4s%20RV%20Documents%20%5E5Double%20Click%20to%20open%5E6
Craig

--- In KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com, Ian Eisenberg  wrote:
I am ordering one now. Can you post a link to the Kodiak OBDII codes?

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 4921
Very strange double post. :-)

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 4922
Craig is there something else I need to do ........ I can't seem to find the scan codes I dont get access to all the files ? ? ? ?

thanks Gary

Craig wrote:

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 4925
My luck isn't doing too well says Document not found Sorry to be such a pain !!
Gary

Craig wrote:

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 4927
Gary,

I have sent you a private email PDF document with the codes. 

Kevin

center
From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Gary Myers
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2010 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: ScanGauge II and a Little Luck Saves the Day

My luck isn't doing too well says Document not found Sorry to be such a pain !!
Gary

Craig wrote:

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 4928
Thanks alot for the codes and the extra trouble you took to send them to me

Gary

Kevin (Real) McCoy wrote: