Skip to main content
Topic: Battery Charging / Discharging (Read 535 times) previous topic - next topic

Battery Charging / Discharging

Yahoo Message Number: 12219
I changed out my batteries - maybe I really did not need to? I have been running 2 X 6 volt Trojans. They do not seem to have such a good charge and discharge quickly. What I think is happening is the following:

1. I charge them with an off-board battery charger - I have nice computer controlled one and they take a great charge.

2. I go camping and periodically turn on the GenSet and charger them back up

3. They progressively hold less charge

4. I know I have no drain when the batt. disconnect is "on" and about a 100 mA when its it "off"

5. It seems like the GenSet does a really crappy job of charging the batteries to full capacity

6. It seems like they get charged to about 12.6 volts when they should be much higher.

7. The GenSet does not charge the batteries when the battery disconnect is "open" or on - no power flows.

8. Does the engine have an isolater that charges the house batteries? I have seen presumably better divices to better charge the house batteries.

9. Is something wrong? / broken or just they way these converters work?

I have my good charger back on the cells to peak them back up fully. Will see how it does overnight starting at 12 amps.

Ideas?

VB

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

Re: Battery Charging / Discharging

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 12220
Hmmm. Looks like you have something broken. Here is how my unit works...

What charger do you have in your RV? My unit has a progressive dynamics charger + charge wizard.

I have the PD9105 Charge Wizard - and when the charger is operating then you can monitor three different voltage levels.

1) 14.4 v Boost Mode
2) 13.6 v Normal Mode
3) 13.2 v Storage Mode

that works with the Intellipower 9100 charger.

(If the wizard gets diconnected from the Charger - then you loose that smart charging and de sulfation capabilities of the charger. )

You can manually force some of these states by pushing the button on the charge wizard. The Charge Wizard has a light and the status of the light, solid, blinking, and off will tell you which mode is in operation. (Also you can see these voltages at your Genset console if you have one.)

We have pretty good results with our batteries while boondocking, with the exception of the furnace. Which in conjunction with the fan is a HUGE draw. We use the AutoGenset to make sure we are topped off if there is a quiet time.

When the engine is on the Alternator charges the batteries. Again with more voltage than you are reporting.

Conclusion / guess - something is wrong in your charging path.

73 Kevin KF5FUZ

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 12221
My MH charges batteries with the same converter that is used when hooked to shore power. None of the generators that I have seen on the Kodiak based MH's have charging in the generator. They only put out 120 volts AC. I suspect you have a problem with your converter. As Kevin mentioned. Check which converter you have.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 12222
I get that the generator does not directly charge the batteries.

I did look at the specs and while the converter (even the smart ones) really get the battery to 90% charged then take another ten(s) of hours to get to 100%

I have a more simple converter without the big smarts of some of the newer ones.

I also found a tricky isolator / charger to connnect with the chassis charging system that charges the house batteries much better - presumably.

So maybe when I am boondocking and run my genset for 1/2 hour - 1 hour I am really only sort of recharging the batteries + with all the lights in my coach it quite a load on them too.

I do not think the furnace fan or the SUperFan in my roof take much current - the roof fan only draws and amp or so.

I will check the charging scenario when i have the coach back from storage.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:56 AM, "ronjhall@..."  wrote:

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 12223
Did a quick google search on amp draw of the furnace and below is what I found on a truck camper forum. Figure it is a good reference, I would think the furnace in our motorhomes would draw more

Ronnie

Current measured with battery at 12.68 volts.

- CO & LPG detectors together draw .061 amps (0.77 watts)
- Norcold 6 CF running on LPG = .609 amps (8.5 watts)
- Forced air heater running = 3.49 amps (44.25 watts)
- Dual bulb florescent fixture = 2.15 amps (27.25 watts)
- One overhead incandescent bulb = 1.45 amps (18.38 watts)
- Northern Breeze Fan on max speed = 3.99 amps (50.6 watts)
- Northern Breeze Fan on 1/2 speed = 1.15 amps (14.57 watts)
- Northern Breeze Fan OFF = 0.049 amps (0.62 watts)
- Cheapo Bathroom ceiling vent fan = 1.24 amps (15.71 watts)
- TV Antenna Amplifier = .041 amps (0.52 watts)
- Ventline range hood exhaust fan on HI = 1.32 amps (16.73 watts)
- Ventline range hood exhaust fan on LOW = .622 amps (7.89 watts)
- Ventline range hood exhaust fan light = 1.38 amps (17.49 watts)
- Stereo/DVD player with power off = .057 amps (0.72 watts)
- Stero on FM at mid volume = 1.1 amps (14.94 watts)
- 'Go Power' 300 watt PSW inverter 'ON' mode = .23 amps (2.9 watts)

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Victor Burns
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 10:21 AM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] RE: Battery Charging / Discharging

I get that the generator does not directly charge the batteries.

I did look at the specs and while the converter (even the smart ones) really get the battery to 90% charged then take another ten(s) of hours to get to 100%

I have a more simple converter without the big smarts of some of the newer ones.

I also found a tricky isolator / charger to connnect with the chassis charging system that charges the house batteries much better - presumably.

So maybe when I am boondocking and run my genset for 1/2 hour - 1 hour I am really only sort of recharging the batteries + with all the lights in my coach it quite a load on them too.

I do not think the furnace fan or the SUperFan in my roof take much current - the roof fan only draws and amp or so.

I will check the charging scenario when i have the coach back from storage.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:56 AM, "" ronjhall@...> wrote:

My MH charges batteries with the same converter that is used when hooked to shore power. None of the generators that I have seen on the Kodiak based MH's have charging in the generator. They only put out 120 volts AC. I suspect you have a problem with your converter. As Kevin mentioned. Check which converter you have.

Best

Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 12224
Victor,

1) Can you share with us what you are using? We have done a lot on the conservation side, LEDs etc. But it goes without saying that it would be great to squeeze out a few more amps. Let us know what you have learned!

2) Well, I have measured a bunch of stuff, mostly around the improvements by going to LEDs etc. Proper Battery wiring,...  But I never have measured the furnace per se. Its more of an observation that when I get into trouble (e.g. a low battery voltage alarm on the refrigerator electronics (ouch. we use the propane mode when boondocking, but the electronics are DC)) its because of low overnight temperatures, and the drain the furnace puts on the battery. I was assuming it was the fan, but possibly something else in the system - ignition or whatever.   If you do measure that, please share. Right now I am of the non-scientific belief that the biggest battery draw in my coach is the furnace. Nothing else comes close. From the Atwood service spec 9.4 AMPS for the 35K BTU model? What furnace are you running?

73 K

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)