Skip to main content
Topic: Corrosion and Rust On Cargo Bay Frames (Read 546 times) previous topic - next topic

Corrosion and Rust On Cargo Bay Frames

Yahoo Message Number: 10127
Hi all. I have been reading but not posting for a while. Seems like most everyone is doing well. I hope that doesn't change. I am in the middle of a new project and I thought some might be interested in what I have found.

I bought my 2007 Seneca 34SS about two years ago. It was used. I have been inspecting it from top to bottom as time will allow. To get the worst over first, I started on the bottom and have spent much time under the frame tying up wires etc. My other purpose in getting under the truck was to check for corrosion. My truck has not seen a lot of moisture so in large part the rust is superficial and I have just painted over it with rust stopper.

The frame for the cargo bays is a different story, however. For the most part it is built from 1" angle and tubing. I have rust bubbling under the paint in many places. When I scrape it off it looks like they simply painted over rusty metal or perhaps the frame sat outside in the rain before they got to the paint. In any event, I am in the process of repairing that problem. It is really a pain but I think it will be worth the effort when done.

The one area that is the most difficult to work on is the subframe for the genset. There are places that are built so they catche a lot of road dirt and moisture. Those places were pretty well rusted after only two years and will see some extra attention.

I also have a question. The white gelcoat on the MH is starting to oxidize. Does anyone know the best treatment to keep it looking new? I have tried an epoxy wax and it doesn't seem to last long. A friend suggested Lemon Pledge. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Re: Corrosion and Rust On Cargo Bay Frames

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10128
For my rusted area's under the motorhome I use Fluid Film. It does not look good. But will soak into all rusted area's and stop rust in it's track. http://www.fluid-film.com/
For the Gel-coat I use 3M Marine Restorer Wax. You will have to work to get it like new. But the effort will be worth it.
Some RV'ers are using Red Max Pro 3 (RMP) to restore their fiberglass to a very shiny like new finish. Here is one thread on it from RV.NET.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26409379/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm
There many threads on doing RMP
I am not ready to give in to the RMP system yet. Part of my winter will be spent waxing and buffing.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10131
Here is a thread from IRV2 that has some info on rust.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/por-15-need-advice-on-using-it-143882.html
I tried some of the products listed. Problem is that rust creeps. The products listed do not creep. Just covers the surface that it is applied too. I carry a spray can of Fluid Film all the time. Whenever I see a rust spot under MH. It gets a shot of Fluid Film.

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 10136
John Deer dealers carry those
Mo

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 10143
Just a comment on the POR15 Product - it is fantastic for use on any type of frame or chassis painting. Do not paint over threaded bolts etc. as the only way to remove it after it has been applied is to grind it off - the product is pretty much indestructable, once applied. Be sure to wear gloves when brushing it on , because it won't come off of your skin with out using acetone - even then it is difficult to remove. I have used the product for automotive frame restorations and also for painting the mower decks on lawn tractors. Once applied it encapsulates existing rust spots to prevent spread. Use as directed - it is not UV protected - so under frame applications is where it shines. I intend to use it on my unit this spring - in the same areas.

Doug

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2012 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Corrosion and Rust On Cargo Bay Frames

John Deer dealers carry those
Mo

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 10158
I too have used fluid film since our 2008 Seneca 36 MS had been new and the underbody today looks rust free and great because of it! GOOD STUFF!!
Larry Myers