Skip to main content
Topic: Radiator, Kodiak 08 diesel (Read 520 times) previous topic - next topic

Radiator, Kodiak 08 diesel

Yahoo Message Number: 5098
Has anyone on the form replaced the radiator (15258918) in an 07 or 08 Kodiak diesel? My unit is dripping coolant and is out of warranty by four months. Was looking at how hard it might be to replace the radiator. Questions I have:
1. Do you need any special tools?
2. Should you replace this plastic/metal unit with an all metal unit?
3. If I disconnect all the hoses and remove all the hold down bolts will the unit lift up and out?
If you have "been there done that", can you let me know if there are other areas I need to consider?
Thanks

Re: Radiator, Kodiak 08 diesel

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 5099
Should not be a problem. Here is a link to a thread on DP. Gasuout Tear Down Pictures
If you do not have the radiator yet. Try GM Part Direct . Price is $324 plus shipping. Be sure to put DEX Cool back in engine. Mixing other antifreeze will cause serious problems with mudding up.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 5101
Ron, thanks for the reply. The Gm Part Direct and the DEX Cool information was great info. Is the tear down link with pictures trying to tell me that to replace the radiator I need to remove all the other coolers/radiators in front of the main engine radiator? Was think that I could just remove 2 water hoses, 2 transmission lines, the vent line and bolts. The vent line that goes over to the fill tank looks to have some kind of special clamp. Could be a cut and throw away clamp or one that needs a special tool to remove. Kodiak C5500 LMM

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 5103
My repair manual indicates that the whole stack needs to be removed to replace the radiator. It recommends that the shroud insulators be replaced at same time. These are the rubber protector around the radiator frame.
Pictures where linked to give you a idea of what is in the way of getting job done.
Best
Ron Hall