Skip to main content
Topic: NO DC in Coach - 06 GS 6340 - Help (Read 568 times) previous topic - next topic

NO DC in Coach - 06 GS 6340 - Help

Yahoo Message Number: 10932
NO DC in Coach - 06 GS 6340 - Help
Coach batteries serviced- 100% on digital taper-charge. 13.69 VDC at converter- 13.5 at batteries. Checked converteron the benchwith about 10 amps of load (pair of DC-powered compressors)- workedfine - 4 25A fuses intact on the converter. Shortedacross DC cut-off switch just inside door- on or off, no"sparks." No lights- no gen-set start- no hydraulic pump- no water pump- no tank gauges- no vent fans- no DC to the DC fuse-block next to the AC breaker panel...
Coach had been sitting for about three weeks- battery service was done then. Did lube and oil change today- on the sloping concrete- moved coach to its"flat"parking spot in order to extend slides; steps came in normally, but when I went to put the jacks down (they hadn't been down previously), the pump just kind of grunted once and quit. Brakes set- in"park"- engine off...can't think of any other interlocks.
Did identify a relay closing (opening)in the first storage bay behind door (when turning the key on/off)- 4-5100A+breakers and a single blade fuse visible- none blown, but reset breakers anyway- but can't get panel out to investigate behind it. No clue what the relay does- figure it's for the steps.
Have been tinkering for about five hours now- can't trace"0-gauge" cable very far underneath- those big honkin' wirelooms...
Any ideas would be appreciated. Used to work on radar, andolder"digital" things...sure is easy when you have drawings that are right- not so much when no drawings, andfrom what I read on the GS forum any drawings would be wrong anyway...
Thanks in advance for any help...

Re: NO DC in Coach - 06 GS 6340 - Help

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10933
I assume by 4 or 5 100 amp breakers you mean the ones on same bay as hydraulic pump. Those are for pump and other items.
My guess would be main feed to fuse panel next to AC breaker panel. There is a main fuse inside this panel. All the feed to this panel is connected by spade type connectors. The main one may have become disconnect from the fuse panel. Here is the best picture I have of it.
The white piece on lower right side of picture is the fuse panel. You will have to remove panel from its mounting.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10936
Ron,
Ron, Thanks for come-back! My 80-130A breakers are in small panel in compartment just rearward of entrance door - no fuses / breakers / disconnect switch near coach batteries (disconnect switch just inside door - on left, adjacent to lights/steps switches).

Like my dad used to say, "live and learn - die and forget it all"...I DID find the problem (no shame here - it is what it is). Had batteries out for service for 3-4 days while I gave 'em a good charge; didn't take notes on connections before I took 'em out. Turns out there are TWO cables on the positive post (along with the parallel jumper to the other battery)...I somehow shoved one of them out of sight when I replaced the inside battery after charging it, and didn't connect that cable.

Regardless, before I found it, I hunted high and low for the isolator (no luck), any high-amperage fuses (none I could find), disconnects (besides the obvious one), and tried tracking cable (gee - seems most all of the heavy-gauge is "red" - no black - including ground). Can't say I learned much through this exercise, except GS wiring is very much like Computer Security where I work - "arbitrary, ambiguous, and inconsistent."

I did find plenty of connectors, in-line fuses (not sure to what yet), and relays (one of them wire-tied in a bundle next to the hydraulic pump). Noted, while it was out, my AC panel was either mis-labeled or mis-breakered; the ganged main was right, but the rest of them were out of sequence or used double (not ganged) 20A breakers instead of single 15's. Also noted - from your picture - that my converter should have been mounted on the wall behind the under-stove cupboard, vs. just laying loose on the floor. Geez...after this next long trip I'm REALLY gonna' have to track this stuff down before something quits, and I'm left clueless. I see a serious re-wiring / labeling / documenting task in my future... (If I find something useful I'll post it.)

Again - thanks for help!

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10937
Don't feel bad. Last year we put a destination trailer on our second lot in Florida. When we left in April I took the battery out. In November I put it back in. I too shoved the cables out of site. When I reconnected the negative wasn't in sight. Just two red ones. I put one on + and the other on minus and wondered why they were the same color. Of course, nothing worked. After a while I rolled under the trailer and started tracing wires. Then I saw this lonely white wire. Sure did feel stupid. That won't happen next year.

So if misery loves company, we both have some.

Don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10938
Hi guys I'm a day late and dollar short but I did it once as well so know I always take a pic with my phone and put it in the camper folder so I can remember and not have to get that look from my wife. Hope this helps for next time..

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 10940
Item you see no back wall is the Inverter. Converter is mounted on floor behind AC Breaker box. Seems to me I had one screw holding it down. It now has 2 screws.
Wiring on my GS is about the way you describe it. Most wires in the main runs do have there usage etched on the wire. Big wires can be a problem with where they are routed. Like already suggested, I take pictures of items before I remove them. Most of the time I do not need them. But are there if I need them.
Best
Ron Hall