Skip to main content
Topic: Heading Home (Read 690 times) previous topic - next topic

Heading Home

Yahoo Message Number: 10943
Hi Guys,
After a 3 month stay in Mesa the time to go home has arrived. Had come here with full enthusiasm to get our 06 Seneca. As mentioned earlier in a post , managed to get a rotator cuff damage of the right shoulder while trying to drain water from awning. Anyhow after MRI,s and X Rays and tons of Ibuprofin and a wrecked constitution I must say that this stay has not been pleasant. Feel bad for DW who has been a marvellous nurse and not a single complain as to why can't we see something in Arizona instead of just laying around at the rv Park.
So now it is decision time and it is a nervous one. I have to head home to Sasktchewan but have never driven a rig this size before. The Doc has cleared the shoulder but we want to take it slow and easy. Hence here is our itinerary and any suggestions will really help as we have not done this before.
Stop a night or two every 4 hours or so except the first day go 7 hrs to Mesquite.
2. St. George
3. Some place between to Pacatello. ( pls. Help with this one )
4 Pocatello ( suggestions for a campground )
5 Some place between Pocatello and Great Falls (?)
6 Great Falls ( campground suggestion )
7 Border crossing Sweetgrass Coutts Alberta
8 head for medicine hat.
9 North Battleford ( Home ) ( oops , I almost asked for a suggestion here )
That seems to be the plan. Any suggestions and help from the group is precious. I have already learnt a lot on this forum and you guys give of yourself charitably to us Newbies. ThankYou

Re: Heading Home

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10944
Can't help you with your route since we've never travelled in most of that area (other than Utah), but I wish you good luck. I like the idea of slowly and surely and frequent stops.

We are taking "The Canadian" from Toronto on May 11 arriving in Edmonton May 14. Then, in a rented vehicle we backtrack to Saskatoon on the 14th. Of course, we will be going right through North Battleford and we will wave to you. Saskatoon is busy that week with the start of the Memorial Cup. Then, on to Yorkton and a visit to Bredenbury. DW's mother was born there in 1913 and this is the town's centennial. DW wants to see where her mother was born. Her grandfather was the CP Stationmaster there at the time. Rest of the route - Regina (for RCMP Heritage Museum), Moose Jaw, Medicine Hat, Dinosaur PP & Drumheller to see the dinos, Calgary, Banff, Jasper, Wetaskiwin (Reynolds Alberta Museum), Edmonton - and back on the train on May 29.

You should feel fairly comfortable in the Seneca within a few hours. Our largest MH was a 41 ft DP and we towed a Tahoe. After being parked in Florida for over 5 months in the winter I would feel uncomfortable and uneasy for the first half day of our trip back north. After the first fuel stop and getting in and out of the pumps ok, I could then relax.

Have an enjoyable trip home. Keep us posted.

Don

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10945
We've stayed in lava hot springs quite a few times, I would recommend maybe stopping there if you're able to hit it on the weekdays. It is crazy busy on the weekends but its worth maybe resting that shoulder in the hot springs. There are a lot of RV parks in town, none is really any nicer than another and they pack you in very tight, we typically opt for River's Edge resort because we go tubing and you can get out of the river right at the RV park. Its about 40 miles south of Pocatello.

My other favorite spot to camp through Idaho is in Island Park, we dry camp on the reservoir there but there are a lot of RV parks in that area as well.

I live in Salt Lake City and I can't think of any camping right near the I-15 corridor, in northern Utah. I'm not sure how much you want to venture off the interstate but the Cache Valley, Logan area is nice. I beleive its listed as some sort of scenic detour but I would access it through Tremonton rather then Brigham City if you decide to go that route. The highway from Brigham City up has a helluva climb.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10946
Cannot help with your stops. Even though we have driven up the route you are taking. My stops in Utah especially near SLC were at my brothers place and my sons in Washington.
We purchased our Endura in Mesa. Then drove it home with our car on a U-Haul trailer back to MI. Took about 1 stop (like Don stated) and I had no problems with driving the rest of the 2000 mile trip. Before you leave Mesa if you do not have a RV road service. Good Sam's before you leave. Just in case. Good insurance in case you do have a breakdown.
Drive safe and take those breaks you have planned. Will make the trip enjoyable and help your shoulder.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10948
Ditto on Lava Hot Springs - Cute little town, unbelievable public swim complex, hot springs, river to tube on etc. We loved it there.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, April 8, 2013 2:20 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Heading Home

We've stayed in lava hot springs quite a few times, I would recommend maybe stopping there if you're able to hit it on the weekdays. It is crazy busy on the weekends but its worth maybe resting that shoulder in the hot springs. There are a lot of RV parks in town, none is really any nicer than another and they pack you in very tight, we typically opt for River's Edge resort because we go tubing and you can get out of the river right at the RV park. Its about 40 miles south of Pocatello.

My other favorite spot to camp through Idaho is in Island Park, we dry camp on the reservoir there but there are a lot of RV parks in that area as well.

I live in Salt Lake City and I can't think of any camping right near the I-15 corridor, in northern Utah. I'm not sure how much you want to venture off the interstate but the Cache Valley, Logan area is nice. I beleive its listed as some sort of scenic detour but I would access it through Tremonton rather then Brigham City if you decide to go that route. The highway from Brigham City up has a helluva climb.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10953
There is a KOA in great falls, it is out towards the airbase on the edge of town.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, April 8, 2013 9:07 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Heading Home

Hi Guys,
After a 3 month stay in Mesa the time to go home has arrived. Had come here with full enthusiasm to get our 06 Seneca. As mentioned earlier in a post , managed to get a rotator cuff damage of the right shoulder while trying to drain water from awning. Anyhow after MRI,s and X Rays and tons of Ibuprofin and a wrecked constitution I must say that this stay has not been pleasant. Feel bad for DW who has been a marvellous nurse and not a single complain as to why can't we see something in Arizona instead of just laying around at the rv Park.
So now it is decision time and it is a nervous one. I have to head home to Sasktchewan but have never driven a rig this size before. The Doc has cleared the shoulder but we want to take it slow and easy. Hence here is our itinerary and any suggestions will really help as we have not done this before.
Stop a night or two every 4 hours or so except the first day go 7 hrs to Mesquite.
2. St. George
8 head for medicine hat.
That seems to be the plan. Any suggestions and help from the group is precious. I have already learnt a lot on this forum and you guys give of yourself charitably to us Newbies. ThankYou

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 10977
Thank you guys for some excellent suggestions and advise. My confidence level has already increased and my nerves are not as frayed as they were before reading your comments.
Ed Wells- The new Park in Mesquite , Sand hollow near Hurricane and Cedar City past St george, Filmore, Beaver etc will definitely be on the list.
Mark Yackley- The KOA in Great falls will be our stop for at least three days.
Don Leslie- Great confidence builder. I have done the trip you mention on The Canadian. Very enjoyable indeed. Did you get a cabin? Because a large part of the journey is thru the shield the best views are from the Dome car as you have the height. Try and get up there early to get seats in the front as you can see across the roof to the front as well. Do not forget to see the hoodoos and A visit to the last Chance Saloon on the route from Dino Prov. Park to Drumheller. Also if you have time while driving from Edmt. to Stoon. stop for coffee in N.B. You can reach me at 441 7070.
Victor Burns- Lava hot Springs it is Thanks
Ron Hall- Went to Campers world yesterday and got the Roadside Assistance from Good Sam. They had a special on and gave me $25.00 off the regular and acoupon for $15 for any item at the store. Thanks
Gultra- As mentioned before Lava Hot Springs will be a blessing for the shoulder. Will checkout Cache Valley, Logan. Must remember to go thru Tremonton and avoid thru Brigham C. Thnx.
IJMSguy- Went and got VitaminE yesterday. Came in 1000 I.U. caplets. Started taking them one in the morning and one before bed. Keeping fingers crossed.

Once again Thank you Guys. Will keep you posted. R,R,

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 10978
We are very experienced at this. We took the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver and back in 2006 and 2009. In both cases we booked well in advance and had bedrooms in the Park Car (last car on the train) with the lounge and Dome. In 2010 we did Toronto to Halifax and they put a Park Car on the end of The Atlantic. Turned out we were the only ones in the Park Car on the route to Halifax. Since they had to have a transition car (The Atlantic is the train they bought from the UK made for the Chunnel - a bit narrower), very few people came back to the Park Car (for those not familiar with it the Park Cars have 4 bedrooms, a dome, a bar and the bullet lounge - the back is shaped like the head of a bullet). They had a wine and cheese tasting in the dome and it was just for the four of us. We have hundreds of photos from the dome with probably 100 of Mt. Robson from every possible angle going in both directions through The Rockies. (I can't image what we'd do using the old 35MM expensive film. :)

This trip we again have the Park Car to Edmonton and back so my step father who is 91 and went to Halifax with us is very excited.

I was planning to drop down to Camp Dundern since I was there as an army cadet in 1956 and 1957. Found great photos and videos on the web and it brought back wonderful memories. Turns out it is now the military ammo dump for Canada and everything that was there in my time is gone. So I decided to take a pass and remember it as it was. Then we go on to Yorkton for a night. Purpose of that leg is for a visit to Bredenbury where my wife's mother was born 100 years ago in 1913. Bredenbury is celebrating its centennial this year. Bev's grandfather was the CP Stationmaster when the Town was established 100 years ago. Then back to Regina for the RCMP Heritage Museum (visited the RCMP barracks at age 5 in 1947). On to Moose Jaw, Medicine Hat, Dino PP, Drumheller, Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise, Athabasca Glacier, Jasper Tramway (if visibility is ok), Hinton, Wetaskiwin for the Reynolds Alberta Museum, then Edmonton for the West Edmonton Mall, a couple of Museums and back on the train near midnight on the 29th. Going to be busy. We've booked a Dodge Caravan so we will have lots of room. Thank goodness I can rest on the train for 3 days going home as I have to do all the driving.

If time works out we'll stop for a coffee in NB (no doubt you have a Tim's - yes found it at Territorial Drive). The variable is the arrival time in Edmonton. Because of the long long freight trains The Canadian ends up on sidings too often and that is why they added an extra night to the trip. Last trip we sat outside Edmonton for two hours waiting to get a clear track. If it works out that we are on time we'll give you a call.

We really enjoy train travel (and RV travel of course). We crossed Australia twice on the Indian Pacific as well as the Southern Alps in NZ (Christchurch to Greymouth and back). Whenever we see a steam train I try to get aboard. This past Sept we took the Durango to Silverton run when touring the Four Corners - a long day but very enjoyable. Also had a short ride on the Galloping Goose during a tour of the San Juan Skyway. The year before we went to the Four Corners as well but by Amtrak from Dearborn to Albuquerque. Would have loved to have taken the Copper Canyon run with our MH on the train. If we get to the 4C again the Cumbres and Toltec steam train is at the top of our list.

DW insisted we see Alberta and Saskatchewan before we head to the western US again. My guess is that after our next trip west she will declare that we must go to Newfoundland before going west again. I'm going to have to dig up some of the videos showing how rough the ferry trip is at times. Maybe she will agree to fly again. When we returned from our fourth visit to Australia and New Zealand in 2009 she announced that she'd never fly again - and she seems to be holding tight to that statement.

Have a good trip home. Don't rush - the weather sucks. Next year I get to determine when we leave Florida - and it will be a week or two later.

Don

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 11099
, "sennecadriver"  wrote:
Hi Guys,
2. St. George
8 head for medicine hat.

Well, we are home in Saskatchewan to be greeted by some great weather. The winter here has been harsh but spring is now in control here.
The trip with a damaged shoulder was slow but not too taxing. My thanks to all of you for your excellent suggestions, most of them were implemented. I am still on 2000 IU's of Vitamin E.
The Seneca is a dream machine as it behaved impeccably in strong winds and rain. The nerves got a little jolted when large semis de-steer you when passing, especially in the Canyon just after Mesquite.
The new Motor-coach RV park called Solstice in Mesquite is top class and worth a mention.
+ or - $600.00 worth of diesel was used in the trip from Mesa to North Battleford. That is not bad at all.
Got a n oil and filter service done at Herning Pontiac in Pocatello for $100
and finally a hydraulic fluid top up for the levelling jacks was needed in Helena at D&D rv at no charge.( most gracious of them ).
Once again thankyou to this forum and all of you for your help.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 11100
Thanks for the update. Glad you got home with no problems.

Keep that good weather around. We board the train for Edmonton on Saturday. At one point the weather was looking awful but I'm feeling somewhat better given with the improvements we've seen.

Don