Skip to main content
Topic: Slide question (new to slides) (Read 1908 times) previous topic - next topic

Slide question (new to slides)

Yahoo Message Number: 5771
As my 6240 Endura is the first RV I've owned with slides (last Rv was quite a few years ago and before slides) I'm wondering what the best way to deal with getting slides back in in case the batteries are too low. I assume being proactive and watching the monitor is the first thing and run the genny if needed. I also downloaded the Equalizer Systems procedure on Manual Override and I'll crawl under the caoch and take a look in case I need to do this (although I don't know yet which is the 'DV-1' valve as described in the procedure). I haven't tried this, but does will genny start using the emergency start switch allowing me to charge the batteries enough to get the slides in? I do remember the previous owner talking about running out of coach battery power so the furnace quit running. Not sure how he got the slides in before he left, but the manual with the override procedure was not in the coach (had to download it)and I seriously doubt he is one that could figure it out. Anyway, I'd like to have a good picture of my options before I get stuck somewhere with the slides out.

Thanks,
Greg Thompson
MN

Re: Slide question (new to slides)

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 5772
Greg

Jaycos and Winnebagos the slided are wired directly to the coach battery not the house. On both of them if the coach battery is weak but you can start the engine the slide will go in. I have asked both manufacturers before and that was the answer. You may want to ask yours.
Thanks
Mo
Sent on the Now Network� from my Sprint® BlackBerry

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 15:52:48 +0000 (UTC)
To: KodiakChassisClassC
ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Slide question (new to slides)

As my 6240 Endura is the first RV I've owned with slides (last Rv was quite a few years ago and before slides) I'm wondering what the best way to deal with getting slides back in in case the batteries are too low. I assume being proactive and watching the monitor is the first thing and run the genny if needed. I also downloaded the Equalizer Systems procedure on Manual Override and I'll crawl under the caoch and take a look in case I need to do this (although I don't know yet which is the 'DV-1' valve as described in the procedure). I haven't tried this, but does will genny start using the emergency start switch allowing me to charge the batteries enough to get the slides in? I do remember the previous owner talking about running out of coach battery power so the furnace quit running. Not sure how he got the slides in before he left, but the manual with the override procedure was not in the coach (had to download it)and I seriously doubt he is one that could figure it out. Anyway, I'd like to have a good picture of my options before I get stuck somewhere with the slides out.

Thanks,
 Greg Thompson
 MN

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 5773
FYI

As a rule I try to run my engine while popping in or out.

Question - Do most of you level before or after popping out?

-Ian

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of agilityaussie@...
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2010 8:13 AM
To: Kodiak Chassis group
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Slide question (new to slides)

Greg

Jaycos and Winnebagos the slided are wired directly to the coach battery not the house. On both of them if the coach battery is weak but you can start the engine the slide will go in. I have asked both manufacturers before and that was the answer. You may want to ask yours.
 Thanks
 Mo
Sent on the Now Network from my Sprint® BlackBerry
center

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com

Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 15:52:48 +0000 (UTC)

To: KodiakChassisClassC

ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com

Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Slide question (new to slides)

Thanks,
 Greg Thompson
 MN

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 5774
Ian Eisenberg wrote:

I'm usually plugged into shore power or using the gen.

I level before running the slides out.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 5775
The slide on my 6340 have never failed, yet. There is a hand pump on top of the reservoir. It would be a pain to use it. The valves on mine are actuated by electric. Do not know how it would work manually.
Even though Lippert does not recommend lubing the slides. I find mine work much better if I keep it lubed with the stuff they have at CW.
Rear slide you need to take bed apart to get a mechanism. I have done this one time.
My recommendation would be to climb under MH and see how things work before there is a problem.
I always level before putting out slides. Per GS recommendations.
Getting the furnace to run all night on the 2 stock 12 volt batteries would be a problem with my 6340. Seems to draw a lot of power from batteries. I have installed a generator auto start control. Work well to start generator when voltage gets below 12 volts.

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 5776
I'll check. Makes sense so I'll trace the wiring back. Probably why the previous owner got them in after he ran the coach batteries down.

I do level 1st and then run the slides out. The rails look well lubed now, but I think I'll p/u some slide lube next time I'm at CW.

Also, good to know I likely won't make it 1 night with the furnace running. We plan on doing an agility trial the end of November and it could be cold up here by then. Guess I'll just make sure I have fuel and run the genny.

Thanks
greg

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 5777
I always use the levelers on my rig to provide a stable platform prior to extending the slides. Conversely, i bring in the slides prior to retracting the levelers.

Craig

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 5778
I used to level before. I live in and camp in the pacific northwet. when I slide the slide out it always blows my level, so now I level after. And I always start the rig before retracting the slide and the jacks, and don't turn it off until after the jacks and slide are out.
Morrigan

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 5779
If you can see lube/grease? It may cause problems. A friend has a class A with same slide layout as my 6340. We met at a campground. Was having problems with retracting front slide. Someone had put grease on slide mechanism. It had collected all kinds of road dirt. Sprayed with the CW slide spray. Slide came in with no problems.
Cold weather affects operation of my slides. Takes a while to get front slide raised up so it can start inward motion. I let it raise until it seems to be struggling. Then I move to center of slide and grab top of slide and shake whole. Slide then comes in when switch is pushed again. Works every time.
Another problem I have had is blowing circuit breaker for pump motor. Temperature was about 10 degrees out. Almost as soon as I hit the switch, breaker popped. I had pushed it by mistake. I have been told that there is a fix for this by changing to synthetic trans fluid in pump. I have not done this. Because if temperatures are that low we leave the slides in. Easier to heat and I am traveling to a warmer climate.
You will also not that slides run slower from less power than going out. This is because return is being pulled back in from rod end of cylinder. This cuts down on amount of pressure available to return slide.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 5780
Thank you! Yes, I can see grease on my slides. Looks fairly recent and the previous owner had it in to have the slide mech adjusted. Likely done then? The grease is 'clean' now, but I'll clean it up and get slide spray on there inside ASAP. Good cold weather info also.

I have to pass along my experience this week with Blue Ox. I purchased a rear trac bar and when it came, the dif bracket didn't fit. The CS person I talked to (Kandie) had a tech call me (within the hour)and sent me some info on other GM bars to try and see if those may fit. Of course they did not so I emailed a pic of my dif to Kandie and by 9:00 this AM, they had parts ready to ship that hopefully will work - all done in less than 24 hours. Now that's good CS. Guess who I'll be calling when we get ready for a Toad.
Greg

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 5782
Equlizer Systems wants level - slides out - slides in - levelees retract ONLY

Sent: November 08, 2010 8:16 AM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Slide question (new to slides)

FYI

-Ian

[The entire original message is not included]

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 5783
Strange i have never had furnace motor issues and even my little camper the blower would run all day/noght on the crappy battery.

I just replaced house batts with 2X6 volts from the golf car supply place. Way better performance than I had from the factory!

Sent: November 08, 2010 10:18 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Slide question (new to slides)

The slide on my 6340 have never failed, yet. There is a hand pump on top of the reservoir. It would be a pain to use it. The valves on mine are actuated by electric. Do not know how it would work manually.
Even though Lippert does not recommend lubing the slides. I find mine work much better if I keep it lubed with the stuff they have at CW.
Rear slide you need to take bed apart to get a mechanism. I have done this one time.
My recommendation would be to climb under MH and see how things work before there is a problem.
Getting the furnace to run all night on the 2 stock 12 volt batteries would be a problem with my 6340. Seems to draw a lot of power from batteries. I have installed a generator auto start control. Work well to start generator when voltage gets below 12 volts.

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 5786
Attachments :

I checked today and my GS slide is wired to the house batteries. I think I'll change that. A good guess is that it is wired at the emergency start solenoid and I think that is right by the pump. Should be able to just swap the cable from one side to the other. Guess I'll find out this weekend.
    Greg

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Greg Thompson
    Sent: Monday, November 08, 2010 1:26 PM
    Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Slide question (new to slides)

I'll check. Makes sense so I'll trace the wiring back. Probably why the previous owner got them in after he ran the coach batteries down.

I do level 1st and then run the slides out. The rails look well lubed now, but I think I'll p/u some slide lube next time I'm at CW.

Also, good to know I likely won't make it 1 night with the furnace running. We plan on doing an agility trial the end of November and it could be cold up here by then. Guess I'll just make sure I have fuel and run the genny.

Thanks
    greg

Reply #13
    Yahoo Message Number: 5788

Victor:

I recall you have the Dutchman Bunkhouse Diesel...

How did you solve the form factor issue between the Golf Cart VS Marine style battery? Can you send or post a photo?

Kevin
    Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
    ("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

P.S. We have experienced the Furnace "Brown Out" Ron Describes. We have boondocked into the teens, and the 35K BTU furnace is the biggest draw in the coach!

Reply #14
    Yahoo Message Number: 5789
    Attachments :

Ron,
      Did you put in the wireless or hardwired Auto Start on your generator? I assume you installed it yourself? I've read that they pay for themselves in a fairly short time just in fuel savings. Not sure when it can get to the top of my list (spend, spend, spend) but I'm leaning towards having one sooner than later.
      Thanks,
      Greg Thompson

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ronjhallsr
      Sent: Monday, November 08, 2010 12:18 PM
      Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Slide question (new to slides)

Best
      Ron Hall

Reply #15
      Yahoo Message Number: 5790
      I installed a RidgeCreek auto start. It starts when temperature is raised above a set degree and/or a set low voltage. It does not have a set time not to run mode. Just wired it parallel to generator control center inside motorhome. Here is a place to get one.
      http://www.rvpowerhouse.com/product.php?id=197
      There are other model auto-starts available that have more features on the site I linked above. But I just wanted auto start when it was needed. Even if it was middle of the night. I always turn it on when parked overnight without hookups. Also so if we leave our dog in motorhome when temperatures can get above 85 degrees. Leave auto start and AC on just in case it gets to hot inside for her. Generator will run for 2 hours. Shut off then restart if temp or voltage is not met. This amount of time running is adjustable up to 5 hours. Should fit all of our diesel model generators. The other RidgeCreek model is needed for a gas model.
      Best
      Ron Hall

Reply #16
      Yahoo Message Number: 5791
      Kevin
      I know I showed you my Auto Start last year. See my other post on the Auto Start. A sure way to make sure your voltage does not drop below a working voltage for the furnace. Also great when you have to leave the dogs in motorhome when it is hot out.
      PS. If I need batteries again they will be 6 volt golf cart batteries.
      Best
      Ron Hall

Reply #17
      Yahoo Message Number: 5792

Yes, I was impressed with your install and the simplicity of "powerhouse"!

I am a little spoiled as my unit came with Onan's AGS "Automatic Generator System". I may be a victim of "self inflicted pain" as I use the Quiet Mode. The Quiet Mode feature is the same as the Auto Start except that it disables the generator during "Quiet" Time. One other thing it does that is way cool, is that it it knows when quiet time starts, and it automatically runs the generator to top up the charge.

Some of the state parks and National Forests we have stayed at have "no generator times" posted and that is where we have been a tad nervous. (Big Bend N.P. is an example.) From things I learned from Craig we have made a lot of improvements in power utilization / conservation. That made our boondocking more pleasant this summer. Still looking to upgrade the battery farm one of these days, hence my question to Victor. Craig went to a 4 battery farm and AGM and Russ went to AGM. So that is something I am thinking about as well. No decision yet! I have also run into golf cart battery fans. That will get a conversation started around the camp fire!

P.S. Explored a bit down the Guadalupe Wednesday. Guadalupe State Park is downstream from Kerrville (Also on the Guadalupe River). At this point the river is lined with ancient huge bald cypress trees - roughly 600 -800 years old. Great place to stay if you are coming into Kerville from the east - at 281 & 46 north of San Antonio.

Guadalupe River.jpg

Guadalupe River
      ("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #18
      Yahoo Message Number: 5793
      Kevin,
      I assume that if the AGS came on the MoHo, it is the hardwired EC-30? I have the install manual and outside of wiring to the AC units, install loks fairly easy. I've read that the wireless owners have been having more a few more probelms than the harwired. I like the Quiet Mode feature and the ability to sense low battery along with the 'top off before shutdown' feature.
      Greg
      PS I saw some Southco cabinet latches on Ebay for about $3 each. Gone before I could get some. Hopefully someone on the KCCC list got them.

Reply #19
      Yahoo Message Number: 5794
      There is a slide out battery tray on the drivers side. The standard 12 volt marine deep cycle and new golf cart batteries are essentially the same size. The battery storage are is way bigger than the batteries too. I installed the new ones and staggered them adding a small 1/4" piece of plywood where the rivetzs might contact the plastic battery housing. The factory tie downs were not re-usable so I found some black rubber bungie style cords that secured the batteries perfectly. Then of course wired the new 6V batteries in series. I opted for mid size capacity replacements..you could get a few more Ah in virtually the sames form factor battery for more $. Trojan are popular and I am note sure if mine were Trojan or the other brand they had: it was a stocking and other price or quality issue. I will post specs and photos later. Also weight was a factor and why I opted for replacements that were the same size/weight and not trying to fill the battery tray with maybe another extra 100# of weight.

Victor Burns

Sent: November 11, 2010 4:46 AM
      Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Slide question (new to slides)

Victor:

I recall you have the Dutchman Bunkhouse Diesel...

How did you solve the form factor issue between the Golf Cart VS Marine style battery? Can you send or post a photo?

Kevin

P.S. We have experienced the Furnace "Brown Out" Ron Describes. We have boondocked into the teens, and the 35K BTU furnace is the biggest draw in the coach!

Reply #20
      Yahoo Message Number: 5795

Thanks for the quick reply! Understand completely on the weight issue. In my case DW likes it primitive. So looking for a few AH as well. Looking forward to seeing the pics, and thanks for letting me look over your shoulder!
      K

Reply #21
      Yahoo Message Number: 5796
      On the Ah..... I think I have a source on top quality LED interior lights and sub $100 HID conversion for drivings lights. If they are good I can bulk source them for anyone who wants them

Victor Burns

Sent: November 12, 2010 9:07 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! Understand completely on the weight issue. In my case DW likes it primitive. So looking for a few AH as well. Looking forward to seeing the pics, and thanks for letting me look over your shoulder!
      K

Reply #23
      Yahoo Message Number: 5798
      I am getting samples and will use and abuse. If I give them green light I will make it easy to source. My coach over 26 interior lights and off the grid requires running the genset.

We all need a viable solution tp the crappy lighting. I have some LED headlights I testing as well as some exterior LED worklights.

More later.

Sent: November 12, 2010 7:24 PM

I'm very interested.

Charles Jones

Reply #24
      Yahoo Message Number: 5799
      I was looking on this site and planned to test some out http://led4rv.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5&zenid=usmopek7qtddmkiq9sc177c674

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of VV Burns
      Sent: Friday, November 12, 2010 7:49 PM
      Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Slide question (new to slides)

I am getting samples and will use and abuse. If I give them green light I will make it easy to source. My coach over 26 interior lights and off the grid requires running the genset.

We all need a viable solution tp the crappy lighting. I have some LED headlights I testing as well as some exterior LED worklights.

More later.

center
      Sent: November 12, 2010 7:24 PM

I'm very interested.

Charles Jones