Skip to main content
Topic: Need new tires (Read 2066 times) previous topic - next topic

Need new tires

Yahoo Message Number: 5893
I am going to need new tires after our trip to CA at the end of the month.

Currently I have Goodyear G670RV, 225/70R19.5. They are all worn down evenly with no obvious problems. I have 24,000 miles on the RV. It is a Four Winds 34h, 19.5k chassis, that we bought new in April 2007. It has been awhile since I weighed it, but it was at 19,240 lbs. And it has steel wheels.

Any suggestions on what tires to get? Longer lasting would be good, smooth ride is a lower priority. And if anyone has increased to the 245/70R19.5 size and did that make any difference? Is the dually spacing still OK with the larger size?

David

Re: Need new tires

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 5894
Friend just got Continentals $180 that he says rides really well. Michleins that he had were all cracked after 4 years and 10,000 miles.

Keith

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 5896
I replaced my 225 rear tires with 245 tires. Had 43,000 miles when I changed. They were Michelin's. Not very good tires in my opinion. Front tires were replaced at 9,000 miles. Put 225 Goodyear G670RV on. Did a alignment at that time. They now have over 40,000 miles. Look like new with another 40,000+ miles of wear left. The 245 tires are also Goodyear. Love the extra load capacity and ride. Not sure I will put 245's on the front when I change tires. Afraid that they will change how MH handles.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 5897

I had the Goodyear, but from before the change in specifications due to the lawsuit (See link below). I replaced them after they developed a bubble in one tire.

I went to XZE245/70R19.5 LRH which also improved many of the rock and roll issues that I had. (To the point that I have not done some of the chassis mods I was considering at the time.) Many folks that are Michelin believers say that it is wise that I did not go to the XRV, but I have no personal experience. I can tell you I am very happy with the change.

Interestingly I saw about a half inch increase in dual separation after the upgrade. Not that significant, and I cannot say if it was due to the manufacturer change or the change in load level. I honestly was expecting a decrease in separation, but it did not materialize. I should also say that I run a bit overpressure for the load relative to the Level G goodyear tire or Jayco's recommendation.

Kevin

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

http://thesafetyrecord.safetyresearch.net/2008/03/29/goodyear-destroys-testimony-admitting-rv-tire-is-defective-court-rules-deposition-is-not-protected/

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 5898
Kevin
You had G159 tires on your MH?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 5899

I should have put in a few more words. I had the G670. If you look at the Goodyear RV tire brochure you can see that they made a change to the G670 in 02/28/06 based on law suits and customer complaints (see page 17). I am not sure that is only thier issue. No doubt the manufacturers have some responsibility for putting tires on our coaches that are under designed for the load they will carry. Remember this was back in the day of the 15kspring!

Because chasses can be made before the coach that lives on them, I was in the old generation of tire, and my chassis is actually an 05....

The link I sent was an example, not the specific case that lead to the G670 upgrade. No doubt I would have had better feeling about the G670 if I had the improved model! I just got a bad feeling when I started doing the research, but that is just me. Like anything about our coaches we can get passionate, and I don't want to get into a Goodyear VS... debate.

What I would say is my G670 (old design) experience was bad. XRVs are to be avoided, and XZE has worked well for me.

I should also add that I am not sure how the econmics would work out on doing airbags / schocks / G670 VS my results with just going to the XZE and the improved stability and handling I get. Load level H is more expensive, but then you are getting a huge number of ply. Also we do go on some skanky roads with our love of the National Forest, that honestly we probably should not be doing. Going up to the Bristle cone pines comes to mind. But glad I have them when we do!

Let me know if you need a link or copy of the document.

Kevin

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 5900
Ron, your Michelins weren't XRV's by some chance were they?

Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 5901
That is what I have on my Funmover XZE 245/70R 19.5 LRH and I have had no problems and like the ride I get
but then again I dont have anything to compare it to since this is first rv. But feel bigger load range helps with hauling the 2 atv's in back compartment.

Need new tires

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 6172
Hi All

Does the change to 245/70R19.5 tires require a change in wheels also?

Tks, Dave

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 6173
Rims for 225 and 245 tires are the same.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 6175
Does the change to 245/70R19.5 tires require a change in wheels also?

Dave, I'll add a new testimonial to the ongoing discussions on this subject. We have a 2007 GS 6340 Endura and last week we replaced our 6 stock 225/70R19.5 Michelins with 6 new 245/70R19.5 Good Year G670 RV tires (load range G). The new tires were mounted on the existing steel wheels with no problems. Over the next 2 days we put 500+ miles on them and overall we're pleased with the results. Bill

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 6176

I'm curios to know the reasoning for wanting to move to a larger tire?
Forgive me if this is a repeated question...

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 6177
, "Wyatt S."  wrote:
I'm curios to know the reasoning for wanting to move to a larger tire?
Forgive me if this is a repeated question...

Wyatt......
My Kodiak 5500 '06 Jayco Seneca 35GS came standard with 245-70-19.5 load range H Michilens. I believe Gulfstream put on 225's. Ron Hall can verify this statement.I believe the Goodyear's are Load Range G.
russ

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 6178
Weight capacity is biggest reason. The 245 F load range tires have a increased load capacity of about 400 lbs per tire. You can get similar ratings with a G rated 225 tire. But this is achieved by increasing sidewall thickness and inflating to 110 psi. The 245 still run at 95 psi max pressure. The increased size gives a little more gear ratio. 60 mph adds about 2 mph. I feel that the 245 give a better ride on my MH.
When I had my MH weighted the 225 F tires were overloaded on rear by about 500 lbs.
Best reason in my case was 245 tires were on sale at the time I bought for $215. Out the door installed price was less than $1k for 4 tires.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 6179
Ron , that is the same reason I'm thinking of going with the 245
instead of my 225. I sometimes run with six newfy dogs { average weight
is about 125 lbs each } and their dog stuff and run a little heavy. I
run about 60 to 62 mph and it seems the rpm's are high. About 2300. Not
sure how much the 245 will knock that down. My gear ratio is a 4.78.
With diesel fuel prices going up, about $3.19 to $ 3.25 here around
Detroit trying to gain the best mileage possible. Chuck PS ordered a
Quadzilla Stealth 2 tuner. Should be here next week.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 6184
I guess now would be a good time to mention that I went ahead and got the new tires before out trip and give a report.

I figured that since I was hoping that these tires would be better than the G670's, I might as well get them sooner than later.

We live in the mountains in New Mexico and it's a 90 mile drive to Albuquerque. I found a place that seemed good that had the Toyo M143 tires that I was looking at, so I went Wednesday morning (Dec 15).

I towed the Durango with me since last time I went to Albuquerque to get the muffler pipe hung better, they found the pipe was broken and had to get the part for the next day, so I had to rent a car to get home and back to Albuquerque.

They also had the Goodyear G647 tires which I had also been interested in because of the M+S rating (I think for truck tires these aren't really a tested rating). Anyhow they had the Goodyears and Toyos at about the same price and both had very similar tread patterns. The only reason I chose the Goodyears was because they were load rated G and the Toyos were load rating F. We put 95 psi in the tires which is what I ran the old tires at since we are close to the GVWR (19,500).

Next, I went to get a front end alignment for the motorhome. But, they found the the center bolt for the springs was bent and the right side of the axle was about 1/4 inch behind the left side. I had thought that the RV was pulling some to the right, but different wind conditions often I never was certain. So of course I had to leave the motorhome and go home and pick it up Thursday.

I knew we were going to be expecting snow and it was snowing through Santa Fe and to about halfway to Albuquerque. Now we wanted to leave on our trip Friday afternoon after the kids got out of school and that would be too late to leave the RV at the shop and I didn't really want to start the trip without driving on the new tires and front end fix first. So, I drove home.

The snow started on the way to Santa Fe and there was now about 2- 3 inches of snow on the freeway. I should mention that I had never driven the RV in anything more than a little slush before so I can't compare the G647's the the G670's. But, I did like the ride much better. It was stiffer and more controlled. And it was handling the snow easily although alot of that was driving around 30 mph. It took 3 1/2 hours to get home, normally it is a bit less than a 2 hour drive. I was keeping up with the slower traffic and oddly enough everybody was behaving. And that was with towing the Durango which at 5200 lbs. is heavy enough that you can feel it move the rear end if it gets caught in a rut. It also has new tires this year (Michelin LTX M/S 2) and I think it tracks better with those.

I thought about staying in Santa Fe but continued on. We have a steep climb and some sharp curves to get home but no problems in the snow.

So, we left to Los Angeles. From Flagstaff on we had some strong crosswinds, but the RV drove good. On the freeway in California there were times when the extra stiffness of the new tires could get annoying, but never enough to wish I had the old tires. Going down I15 into LA we were in really thick fog, probably about 1/10th mile visibility or less. Everybody driving about 20 mph, you could see the overhead signs until you were just about under them, so the GPS was the only way I had any idea where we where. Then in the valley, rain, but the tires were good and again strangely everybody was driving sensibly and nobody annoyed me (a very rare occurrence, especially in LA).

Hope this helps. Sorry if it was a little long, but I just wanted to describe it the best I could.

David

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 6188
What size tires did you get? Only 24,000 miles on a set of truck tires is kind of low. Unless the alignment problems caused them to wear faster than normal. Bad alignment caused my front tires to wear out in 8,000 miles.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 6193
Ron,

I got the same size as I had before 225/70R19.5.

I don't think the alingment was the main factor since the rears were almost worn as much. I kept the best tire as a spare, so I will try to remember to measure how trad was left. I certainly could have waited longer to replace them, but I doubt I would have gotten to 30k.

I think a bigger factor for me is the amount of mountain driving that I do. And that I probably drive relatively aggressive for a motorhome.

David

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 8668
I have committed to a new set of 245 M143 Toyo's. It was hard to decide against Michiles. Originals with 36K and going on 7 years was pretty tough to argue against. The micks are pretty well weatherd. Anyway I'm going to give the toyo a try.
Denny

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 8669
Looks like it is a replacement for Michelin XZE and Goodyear G647 tires. When I was shopping last month I looked at them and Hankooks. I thought that the H load rating (16 ply) was more than I needed for my MH. Did up load rating to G (14 ply) on mine. Looking forward to reports on how these tires work out on your MH.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 8670
The Oman 7500 quiet diesel in my motorhome will not crank. I checked the batteries, and they are good. Checked for voltage at the Gen and it is good. Neither switch will do anything.  Do y'all have any ideas?

Ronnie

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 8672

When you say neither switch, did you mean the inside and the one on the generator. There is also a switch on the generator.
Also, fuel, if less than a quarter tank, it should not start.
I know these are obvious, but we all forget from time to time.
Mo

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 8673
Attachments :

There is a PDF for a 5500 genset service manual in the files section that has 8 things to check. Likely similar to the 7500. It does refer to a fuse which is accessed by removing the bottom panel. Are you getting error codes and do you know how to read them (light on the genset starter switch flashes)?
    Greg
    MN

Reply #25
    Yahoo Message Number: 8674
    I got it figured out. Neither switch would make the generator do anything. I called my dad who I got the motorhome from, and he told me he took it to Oman last year for the same problem. They said it had a bad ground between the Gen and the batteries. They installed a new ground cable. I used my jump box and hooked it to the Gen and it started right up and ran fine until I unhooked the ground lead. I went to clean the ground terminals at the battery and the lug pulled off of the lead that onan built. They used a 1/0 lug on both sides of the 2/0 battery cable. Gonna go to the parts house tomorrow and get the right lugs crimped on, then all should be good.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

Should Be ... Onan Generator Fix

Reply #27
    Yahoo Message Number: 8684
    When I read you initial post I thought it was the Generator housed circuit breaker for sure.

Thanks for posting the real cause.

Kevin KF5FUZ

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
    ("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #28
    Yahoo Message Number: 10365
    David,

The subject line caught my eye and your original question is exactly what I am facing now. How are the G647's holding up? What size did you end up getting?

Any other suggestions from the group? Also, is CW the best bet for prices?

Thanks,

Rob

F/W 34H

Reply #29
    Yahoo Message Number: 10366
    I also put G647's on my MH. Put them on front. Couldn't be happier. They ride good and no noise from the more aggressive tread. Plus like David said they are rated G instead of F.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #30
    Yahoo Message Number: 10373
    I replaced rear tires the year before. Got 4 G670RV tires for less than I paid for the 2 front tires. So I kept them on the rear. Fronts were still the original 225 tires. No more RV tires for me. All the Seneca's 35+' have road tires instead of RV tires.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #31
    Yahoo Message Number: 10380
    Ron,

So to clarify, you(still) have G670's in the rear and G 647 in the front?

Rob

Reply #33
    Yahoo Message Number: 10383
    Thanks. Looks like I will have the same set up for awhile. Any reason not to put the G647's on the rear?

Reply #34
    Yahoo Message Number: 10387
    Nope, will put some on the back when I need tires back there.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #35
    Yahoo Message Number: 10432
    Put a set of G 647's on the front just before our 800 mile ski trip last week. Glad I had them as weencounteredsome snowy roads. However, annoying pull to the right the whole way there and back. Got the guys to rotate the tires today. Hopefully that will take care of it, or back to Goodyear.

Reply #36
    Yahoo Message Number: 12250
    I changed the Michs out with the Toyo M143s a year ago. My tires are H rated so can inflate to 120 psi but no need. I inflate to 95 psi. I also had Counteract Balancing Beads put into each tire when they were mounted. I couldn't be happier with the change. Very smooth and quiet. They show no wear after 8k so expect to get great service.
    Denny